Providing proper care for vegetables planted in the backyard, special attention should be paid to preventive measures to prevent the invasion of parasites. Insects of small size cause enormous damage to plants, reducing the yield or completely depriving it. The conductor is one of the pests that are difficult to eliminate. How to fight and how to get rid of the parasite in your own garden forever talk further.
What does the wire look like and is it possible to get rid of it
One of the most dangerous pests in the garden is the wireworm. What does he look like? It looks like an insect like worms from 1 to 4.5 cm long. On a brown body there are three pairs of legs. Distinguish from other underground inhabitants of the parasite can be on the dense casing, which consists of a solid chitinous shell. The peculiarity of the wireworm is that it is not an independent type of insect, it is the larva of the click beetle.
Wireworm close up
The larvae turn into a beetle for a rather long period of time - from 2 to 5 years. During this time, parasites cause considerable damage to vegetable crops, eating up the roots of plants. Winter wireworms spend in the soil, plunging 10-15 cm. Insects do not freeze out even in severe frosts, their vitality is explained by the ability to go deep into the ground up to 60 cm.
Click beetles appear in vegetable gardens already in April, as soon as the daytime temperature reaches 8-10 °. In early May, they lay eggs directly into the soil (under lumps, bushes). A new generation of wireworms is born 15-20 days later. During the first year of life, their torso reaches 5-7 mm.
What plants are affected by a pest in the country?
The gluttony of the wireworm is obvious, which it does not eat. These are cereals, melons and vegetables, as well as some ornamental plants. Treatments can be swollen seeds, shoots, young shoots and tender stems. It takes even the roots of fruit trees.
Of particular interest are the larvae to such plants:
- watermelon and others
What is dangerous parasite?
The wireworm gnaws the tubers of the roots of vegetable and grain crops, which weakens the plant. Defeat pest can be noted for the slow growth of tops. Parasites make holes in root vegetables, which reduces the quality of the crop. In addition, the larvae are carriers of fungal infections and harmful bacteria.
In addition to the harvest, the wireworm represents a danger to humans, which is the use of chemicals. Toxic substances are deposited not only in the fruits, but also in the soil, which negatively affects the subsequent plantings of the new season. This is due to soil contamination, violation of its structure and microflora due to the death of earthworms and beneficial microorganisms.
How to deal with the parasite in the garden and greenhouse?
The larvae can live both in the open ground and in the greenhouse, therefore, it is worth treating the beds for prophylaxis with any method of growing vegetables. As active agents on the parasite, special preparations are used, which include chemicals. Not all gardeners resort to radical methods of dealing with wireworm; therefore, along with chemicals, popular recipes are used.
Wireworm on the ground
The use of special drugs to protect crops
It so happens that the popular methods used do not give a positive result, the parasite continues to actively harm crops.. Special chemicals come to protection, which need to be used only in accordance with the instructions in the instructions. Particular caution should be exercised in measuring the dose, increasing the recommended indicator is strictly prohibited.
One of the new developments in agrochemistry is the drug Nemabakt, which is obtained by combining two different species of organisms (predatory nematodes and bacteria). The principle of the agent is the penetration of the nematode inside the wireworm. There, it releases a bacterium that destroys the insides of the pest. They in turn feed the nematode. There is no chance for survival from the wireworm.
To fight the larvae can cultivate the land:
Insecticides are used at different stages of plant development, but any treatments are completed 20-30 days before the harvest begins. After the completion of harvesting, the preparations can be used for tillage. All parasites are afraid of poison, therefore, it will not be difficult to kill them.
Using folk methods to combat beetles in the garden
It is extremely undesirable to use insecticides in the country, and bio-based products cost money. Yes, and the time to buy them gardeners can not carve out because of the complexity of leaving the outskirts of the city in the center. People come to the aid of methods that have been tested for effectiveness for years.
- In early spring and in June, young shoots of almost every crop need weeding and loosening the soil. This rule of agrotechnology is also used as a measure to combat wireworm. Eggs, larvae and the beetles themselves, once on the surface, become food for birds. In addition, under the influence of the sun eggs become non-viable.
- As traps, many gardeners plant corn or leaf lettuce in the aisle of vegetable crops, the roots of which are loved by wireworms. It remains only to pull the growing shoots out of the ground along with the hordes of pests.
- Before planting, it is useful to water the soil with a weak solution of potassium permanganate (2 grams per bucket of water). In addition to the disinfecting effect of the composition will scare the parasites.
- The easiest way to deal with the wireworm is to dust the beds and between the rows with wood ash. Soaked with ashes, the soil becomes not interesting to insects. You can throw a little ash in the hole and protect the crop at the planting stage.
- Mineral salts, sprinkled on the surface of the soil, will serve as a good fertilizer for vegetable crops and scare the wireworm.
- The procedure used to neutralize acidic soils - liming reduces the pest population.
- It also helps to protect the crop ammonia, ammonium nitrate and lime. Treating the beds with these means in the right dosages will help to defeat the pest and save the crops in the future.
- You can also destroy the wireworm by eggshell, scattering it on the garden beds.
Especially popular is the recipe, which includes a set of plants that are insecticides by nature:
- dandelion (200 g),
- nettle (500 g),
- celandine (100 g),
- coltsfoot (200 g).
Components need to grind, pour warm water (10 l) and let it brew for 3-4 days. It is necessary to water the beds with a solution 2-3 times with 1 week breaks.
Preventive methods for the appearance of the wireworm on the potato and potato field in the spring and autumn
Many gardeners believe that it is impossible to completely destroy the wireworm. Therefore, the purpose of preventive measures is to reduce the number of parasites, resulting in a reduced amount of damaged crops.
The following actions have been recognized as effective and acceptable agrotechnical measures that can reduce the larval population.
- Autumn cleaning beds with a careful selection of plant residues that can be used by pests for wintering.
- Digging the soil just before the frost. Being close to the surface of the soil the larvae will freeze out. For the effectiveness of the method, the depth of digging should not be less than 25 cm.
- Wheatgrass and millet rhizomes attract larvaetherefore, plants should be disposed of. Roots from the ground should be removed completely.
- Agrotechnika vegetable crops provides for the periodic loosening of the soil. In May and June, this should be done every week, so that the laid eggs of the beetle beetle find themselves under open sunlight. They die from overheating, which means that an increase in the population will be prevented.
- Arranging traps also helps reduce the number of parasites.. To do this, in different places in the garden, make small depressions in the ground, put some slightly damp grass or hay in them, moisten them and cover them with a small board or pieces of slate. Every couple of days you need to look into the traps and remove, gathered for dinner wireworms. Potatoes are often used as bait - a favorite pest treat.
- Among the methods of struggle one of the most effective is the maintenance of crop rotation. Landing on the same place every year should not be done, a good harvest with this method is not removed, but to attract more insects will turn out. Especially the wireworm likes potatoes and is often found in the potato field. By the way, planting a tomato after it will not save the situation, since these two cultures are in the same group.
Systematic processing, timely weed control and thorough cleaning of the garden after harvesting do not leave the larvae of the click beetle to survive. As you can see, it’s easy to get them out.
What the wire looks like and how dangerous it is
Emaciated Stepanenko: I weighed 108, and now 65. Saw warm at night. Read more here.
Species click beetles are small, approximately 20 mm in length, of oblong shape. The color of the body is dark brown, deep purple or brown. Years of beetles begins in spring and ends in early August. The pest feeds on the leaves of cereals, and does not cause much damage. In one season, the female is able to lay up to 200 eggs, from which later the wireworm larvae grow.
In addition to the main enemy for potato, another problem appears in the face of wireworm larvae. Wireworms are able to live long in the soil for 5 years if the climate is suitable. Snacks are capable of making tortuous moves, thanks to which it is almost impossible to detect them.
The larvae that live the first year are not dangerous to plants. The maximum damage can cause crackles 2-4 years of age. For such a period of time they grow and turn into worms. In the process of growing up, the wireworm hardens, therefore it is so hard to crush.
I was able to get rid of ARTHROSIS AND OSTEOCHONDROSIS PER MONTH! Operations are not needed. Read more here.
The wireworm is omnivorous, it can eat:
It does not matter what stage of development the plant is at — it can be, as soon as the seed is planted, or tuber. The wireworm affects the stems and young shoots of potatoes. From worms can die up to 80% of the crop. In addition, there is a possibility that the situation may recur in a year. Larvae can overwinter, and in the spring to re-start to eat plants.
Watch the video! Ways to fight wireworm
How to detect the presence of wireworm
Potato pest wireworm - larva beetle. She lives underground, invisible to humans, and damages potato tubers. Adults do no harm to landings. The larvae resemble thin brown and yellow worms, covered with hard shell. Their length is from 1 cm.
In a potato field contaminated with a pest, the number of damaged tubers can reach 60%. Bacteria easily penetrate holes made by larvae,such potatoes rot quickly and cannot be stored. Wireworms also love to gnaw the roots, disrupting the plant's food, can spoil the seeds sown. Most often, the pest can be found on potatoes, but the larvae can nibble the fruits and roots of other crops: onions, cabbage, carrots, radishes, beets, lettuce, daikon, radishes. The wireworm attacks plants throughout the growing season, from planting into the ground to harvest.
Insect development cycle
In the spring of the female click beetle lay white eggs about 0.5 mm in size in the ground or heaps of last year's grass. One individual produces up to 200 eggs. After 20−40 days of them appear larvae. The first 3-5 years of their development takes place underground. In the first year of life, wireworms do not harm vegetable crops., and from the second season they begin to move actively in search of food, they become very voracious. After four years, the larva pupates, and in the spring becomes an adult.
Allow to significantly reduce the number of larvae in the area, without resorting to chemicals. These measures include:
- Crop rotation planning. Suitable for the cultivation of large areas of land. If you plant potatoes annually in the same place, the livestock of beetles in the area with an abundance of feed will increase. After two years of planting potatoes, it is recommended to sow the ground with peas, beans, lupine, red rapeseed, and buckwheat. The larvae are repelled by the substances secreted by these plants, and they leave the territory.
- Deep digging. Plowing should affect the soil layers at a depth of 25−30 cm. In the process you need to remove the pests on the surface. It is also useful to get rid of weed roots, especially willow-tea and wheatgrass, which wireworms love to feast on. In the spring, such tillage causes the death of beetle eggs under the bright sun, and in the fall - as a result of frost.
- Watering. During the drought period, the larvae damage more tubers in search of moisture. Therefore, abundant hydration can improve the situation.
- "Abstraction". If a green salad is planted between the rows of potatoes, its juicy roots will partially distract pests from root crops.
- Timely weeding. Larvae love to live in places of accumulation of roots. Therefore, potatoes are not recommended to be planted next to the untreated areas. If virgin soil is located nearby, the beds with potatoes should be separated from them using a trench 80–100 cm wide. The beds themselves should be cleaned of weeds.
Reducing soil acidity
Adding to the soil additives that reduce its acidity, allowing you to withdraw the wireworm from the potato field. It is not recommended to apply lime in areas where it is planned to plant potatoes. This substance makes the plant defenseless against scab - a common infection for culture. It is better to use eggshell, chalk, dolomite flour
Another natural remedy that reduces the acidity of the earth is wood ash. It is made when plowing, digging, planting tubers
. It is useful to use the ashes obtained by burning dry potato tops and sunflower stalks.
Green mans against wireworms
The use of green fertilizers, or siderats, heals the soil, saturating it with nutrients, and also has a detrimental effect on pests and weeds.
If the stalks of legumes planted in the aisle are removed after harvesting, the green manure is buried in the ground. Most effective against wireworm mustard, intensively growing and releasing alkaloids, poisonous to insects. Also apply alfalfa, vetch, lupine.
Some gardeners sow half of the land with green fertilizer, and the other half with potatoes. For the next season, the cultures change places. But with this method, the harvest is collected only on one side of the site. You can get out of the situation by sowing green fertilizers. after harvesting early ripening varieties. Before the frosts start, siderats have time to grow, and their stems can be buried in the ground.
Pest control chemicals
There is a wide range of insecticides to control wireworm in potato fields. To prevent the accumulation of toxins in tubers, such substances should be used carefully, exactly following the dosages specified in the instructions.
Pellets of drugs contribute when plowing or digging the site. You can combine the procedure with fertilizer soil. This will require:
- Dissolve the required amount of pesticides ("Decis Eksta" - 4 ml, "Aktellik" - 15 ml, "Karate" - 1 ml) in a mixture of 80 ml of water and 200 ml of acetone.
- 5 kg of superphosphate lay out on the film in a thin layer.
- Pour the prepared solution into a spray bottle and evenly spray the granules.
- Dry superphosphate in the shade.
Also during planting, you can pour into each well 500 ml of a solution of manganese (5 g per 10 liters of water). This will scare away insects and serve as disease prevention.
At the same time, the use of nitrogen-containing preparations such as ammonium chloride, ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate will help fertilize the soil and eliminate beetles.
Chemicals against wireworms:
- "Basudin" - a potent drug that is toxic to animals and humans. Used when no effect from other means. The active ingredient is diazonin. On a plot of 10 m 2 enough 15 g of funds.
- “Thunder”, “Pochin”, “Medvetoks-U”, “Thunderbolt-2” also contain toxic diazonin. Act quickly, eliminate insects for a long time.
- Aktara. The solution is treated tubers before planting. You can also add dry powder to the wells.
- "Prestige". By action and method of application is similar to "Aktar".
Elimination of wireworm folk methods
Some gardeners avoid the use of chemicals at the site, for fear of the penetration of harmful substances in the culture of food. In this case, the popular methods of dealing with wireworm in the potato field will be useful:
- Salt is spread evenly on the ground. It is better to do this before the rain so that the solution penetrates as deeply as possible.
- The crushed eggshell is distributed over the soil surface.
- When planting, add a handful of onion peel to each well.
- Planting is watered with infusion of celandine (100 g per 10 l), infusion of nettle (500 g per 10 l) or infusion of dandelions (200 g per 10 l). Processing must be repeated three times at intervals of 7−10 days.
- Calendula or marigolds growing next to the potatoes, scare away the larvae.
Larvae trap and bait
Using baits requires care, but the effect, according to gardeners, is not bad: in a small area you can get rid of most of the wireworm population:
- In the autumn, when the harvest is already gathered, you can leave piles of weeds and tops on the plot or bring hay and manure on purpose. In such shelters the larvae like to hide. Before frost, all this must be collected and burned with insects. Such an event can be held in the spring: dig up small depressions, fill with straw, manure, rotted grass and cover with foil. After 5 days, collect and burn everything.
- Seeds of barley, corn, wheat and oats are soaked for a day in special preparations that protect against insects (for example, Decis). Then they sow the soil at intervals of half a meter. In each well put a few grains. Some insects die when eating the treated seeds. When the shoots seem, the plants are dug together with the surviving larvae. Such crops can be repeated throughout the season: cereals attract larvae more than potatoes.
What eats potato wire? The pest is multifaceted. Loves to destroy the stems of plants, roots, shoots and, of course, seeds. Insect drills roots and tubers, gradually eating out passages in them, making the product practically unsuitable for consumption and storage. What does a potato wire look like? The worm wire length reaches from 1 to 5 cm. The larvae have a very solid, but thin body, the color of which can vary from yellow to dark brown. It is almost impossible to crush an insect.
Nutcrack develops about 5 years, while the development of the wireworm larva takes 3-4 years. In the first year, the larva feeds on the underground part of the plant, without causing significant damage to it. Only in the second year of life does the wire become very dangerous, causing great harm to your giving birth to root crops. Only by the fourth year of development does the larva pupate, and from the pupa in the spring an adult beetle-click beetle appears.
How to deal with a pest in the garden
How to get rid of this annoying insect? While other pests can be actively destroyed by acaricidal and insecticidal preparations, in order to completely destroy the wireworm in your field with potatoes or carrots, you will have to tinker a little. Insect control in your area should be carried out by effective means in conjunction with the necessary measures, that is, using mechanical, agrotechnical and chemical methods.
Agrotechnical measures to combat wireworm include:
- spring deep digging of the soil, it is necessary to especially carefully get rid of all the pupae and larvae of nutcrack, as well as weeds, for example, willow-herb and rhizomes of couch grass,
- maintaining crop rotation, that is, for example, planting carrots or potatoes after peas or beans,
- sowing sideratov in his garden, which scare the wireworm. Alfalfa, vetch, lupine or mustard are considered the most effective siderats for wireworms,
- sowing lettuce in between the rows of carrots, the roots of which will be eaten by wireworms,
- dump plowing of the soil or deep autumn digging before the first frost.
Such measures will help reduce the number of wireworms in your field (you can also apply in the greenhouse) by about 50-90%.
Preparations for pest control
What are the means to combat wireworm in his greenhouse or garden? To spoil the appetite of the insect will help the granules of superphosphate, which must be treated with insecticide and spread out in each hole for 3-4 pieces. To combat the pest use, as a rule, drugs: Decis, Karate, Aktellik.
It is necessary to scatter superphosphates in a thin layer and spray the granules with a solution prepared according to the recipe: 80 milliliters of water, 200 milliliters of acetone, 15 milliliters of Aktellik or another insecticide to control the wireworm.
In the event that the number of insects is not amenable to regulation by known methods, it is necessary to resort to the use of the highly toxic drug Buzudin. Getting rid of the wireworm is also a little less dangerous for the warm-blooded drug Diazinon. In the fight against the Colorado potato beetle or wireworm, the Prestige tool also helps, which more than halves the number of pests in your garden, and it is not as harmful as Basudin. Provotoks has a long duration, is harmless to ordinary earthworms, has low toxicity, is safe for humans, and does not cause addiction in wireworms.
In addition to these drugs, help get rid of wireworms: Dohloks, Metarizin, Force, Aktara, Zemlin, Kapkan and Thunder-2. However, no matter what insecticide you choose, it can only be used in strict accordance with the instructions on it.
Fighting folk remedies
How to get rid of the pest on your site with the help of folk remedies? It is advisable to resort to the use of chemical insect control agents as little as possible, since they can have a negative effect on human health. It is best to apply the long-proven folk remedies, which almost always consist of natural ingredients and harmless materials. You can fight potato pest on your plot with the following methods:
- use the best herbal remedy to combat wireworm - infusion of celandine, which need to be watered thoroughly all the soil in the area,
- sprinkle the aisles with tree ash - the larvae of the nutcracker die from this,
- a good result will be given by the introduction of nitrogenous fertilizers, which contain ammonium, into the soil, or simply to shed a portion of ammonia water. Ammonium salts serve as a means to control pests and nitrogen fertilizer for root crops,
- add lime to the soil, which is usually used for soil deoxidation - this method will significantly reduce the number of larvae in the soil. In addition to hydrated lime, dolomite flour, chalk, coal ash can be added to the soil, but this should be done no more than once every 3-4 years.
- ground eggshell is one of the most effective and at the same time inexpensive means to combat wireworm. For best results, egg shells must be scattered throughout the site.
Also for pests you can lay in the form of bait pieces of meal, carrots or beets in shallow pits (from 7 to 5 cm) and cover them from above with a piece of iron or plywood. To the quality of the bait, you can also use premature hay, grass or straw. After 3-4 days, a sufficient number of larvae of the click beetle will accumulate in the hole with the bait, after which they need to be burned. It is advisable to lay the bait several weeks before planting on the root crop section, then continue laying them out until the entire harvest is removed.
But how to deal with the pest in the autumn season? The larvae are lured to bundles of straw or pieces of manure, which are spread all over the site. After the first frosts, the bait is collected together with the larvae hiding there from the cold and destroyed in a fire.
In order to once and for all get rid of the annoying pest, you just need to destroy it, and then annually carry out preventive work, which will not allow it to appear more on your site. These activities include:
- changing the place for planting and growing a culture once every 2-3 years,
- annual holding of spring and especially autumn digging of the site for root crops to the depth of the spade bayonet. Those larvae that were raised along with the ground during the digging in the fall, will die from cold in winter, while tilling the soil in spring will allow you to clear the area from the weeds that wireworms love to feed on,
- in May-June, you need to periodically loosen the soil on the site. This is done so that the eggs of beetles fall to the surface, after which they die under the action of sunlight,
- conduct regular weeding of the site to clean the soil from wheat grass and other weeds. In a critical situation with weeds, use Roundal to destroy it,
- It is necessary to constantly maintain the site clean, clean the tops and grass in the autumn season, to prevent the beetle from waiting the winter on your site in comfortable conditions.
You can grow marigolds in orderto scare click beetles. The fragrance of these flowers is not at all something repulsive for insects, rather the opposite - it attracts them, but the sap of these plants is poisonous for almost any insect. Wireworms are very afraid of leguminous plants in the garden (beans, peas, soybeans, black beans, etc.), because bacteria that produce nitrogen in the roots of these crops live. Together with legumes to enhance the effect you can sow phacelia, which neutralizes the acid in the soil.
The wireworm does not tolerate such plants as oilseed radish, rapeseed, tributary, spinach, buckwheat, colza and mustard, therefore it is recommended to sow any of these crops once every 2-3 years together with potatoes or other root crops that the pest used to feed on. In this case, the larvae will either leave the site, becoming beetles, or die.
Most experts who used rye to fight wireworm, say that this plant is not able to scare away the pests from your site, and even vice versa - attracts them. Besides, this culture takes in a large amount of moisture from the soiltherefore, it is better to grow other plants as a green manure.
A pretty effective way to fight with pests is the treatment of common salt with the entire surface of your site, but this procedure can be carried out no more often than once every seven years.
And finally, advice for those who are just beginning to cultivate the land: there is a lot of wireworms in virgin soil, so for the first couple of years, until you get rid of all the roots of weeds and larvae larvae, potatoes and other root crops are not recommended to grow on this site. It is best to plant pumpkin, solanaceous or leguminous crops for the first time.
How to withdraw wireworm
If you need to get rid of pests in the area where the potatoes are already planted, then you need to do this as quickly as possible and with all available means. We have already talked about how to prevent potato wireworms from appearing on your garden plot, what preventive measures need to be done for this, but what if the pest did get to the plot with root crops and began to spoil the precious crop?
It is necessary to immediately place on the site as much as possible traps and baits. To do this, you can use a three-liter jars with pieces of root vegetables inside. We dig in one such trap for each square meter of the plot and cover them with slate or metal sheet on top. After two or three days, it is necessary to remove the banks from the ground and destroy the larvae that have fallen into the trap.
You can also make an infusion of coltsfoot, dandelion, celandine and nettle using the following recipe: take 100 grams of celandine, 200 grams of dandelion and coltsfoot, 500 grams of nettle, pour the components with 10 liters of water and infuse the agent for 12 hours (celandine infused about 3 days), then the infusion is carefully filtered. This tool is used for watering the soil in the area with root crops.
To avoid having to fight an invisible pest, it is not recommended to grow potatoes for more than two years on a plot, alternate the crop with legumes, and before planting, treat the plant with a solution of an active substance, for example, Prestige, which protects the plant not only from Colorado potato beetle, Khrushchev, Medvedka and others. Also, do not forget about the annual preventive measures that will help protect your garden from the larvae of the click beetle more reliable than any drugs. However, if the condition was nevertheless brought to a critical level, it is better to use a chemical agent once than to lose the entire crop and to promote the reproduction of the wireworm.
Adding an article to a new collection
The appearance of the wireworm at the site is difficult to confuse with anything else. This pest undermines the tubers and shoots of plants, and getting it is not easy, because it can burrow into the ground to a depth of several meters. But even with such a disaster you can fight.
The wireworm is not such an "untwisted" enemy of potatoes as the Colorado potato beetle. A lot is written about the latter and every season they advertise another new means of struggle, which "is guaranteed to get rid of the beetle." And to inconspicuous click beetles and their larvae, the wireworms, it seems no one cares. That is why their biology is poorly studied, control measures are few and ineffective. Yes, and detect the wireworm can not immediately, but when he comes across gardeners, the plant is usually not saved. Nevertheless, this scourge can be fought. But let's first examine it in detail.
Let's start with the most effective methods - chemicals. There are many different drugs on the market; they are distinguished by their speed of action, the breadth of the spectrum of activity, the level of toxicity and many other factors. Let's stop on the most popular.
- Aktara. One of the most popular chemicals. Its most important advantage is the widest range of effects. It can be applied both by spraying and watering the soil. 4 grams dissolved in 10 liters of water and carry out processing. The cost of the package with the same weight is 104 rubles. The resulting solution can then be stored, so the flow can be called not so large and quite budget.
- Prestige. Expensive enough, the price is about 600 rubles for 60 milliliters. However, the bottle is enough for 6 applications (the treatment solution is prepared in a proportion of 10 milliliters per 10 liters of water). Quickly copes with pest control. Protects the drug for up to 50 days.
- Taboo. This tool is used strictly during planting, so it is suitable only in the early stages of the settlement of the wireworm in the soil. Diluted in the proportion of 10 milliliters of the finished suspension 1.5-2 liters of water. This solution is enough to process more than 120 kg of tubers. Therefore, the tool can be safely called the budget and very economical on consumption. The price of the bottle is about 130 rubles. Protective action - 50 days.
How to spend processing
Remember about protective equipment when working with chemicals.
The most important thing is to keep the proportions right. Dilute with water in the right quantity and properly handle. It is worth noting here that not all drugs can be either sprayed or poured into the soil itself, so this point must be clarified in the instructions. Do not forget to use protection. Namely - clothes with long sleeves, goggles and other equipment.
This is very important because getting the drug on the skin / mucous membranes / inside can cause a strong allergic reaction, and in extreme cases - death (if ingested).
There are not many opportunities for you and their effectiveness will depend purely on your efforts and efforts.
- Manual trapping of larvae in the process of digging the soil. As you know, initially the larvae live in the soil, so before planting potatoes, do not be lazy to completely dig the soil in the places of future planting.
- Installation of traps and baits. There are simple traps. For example, dig a small hole, "sit" there a liter jar, and put a few tubers of raw potato inside. Wireworms will definitely not refuse from such delicacy and will fall for the bait. You need to change this trap every 3 days.
- Preliminary trap for beetles. During their appearance in the gardens, small planks are installed and watered with a thick layer of sugar syrup. The beetle pecks on the bait and sticks to the sticky syrup.
There are biological measures that can be attributed to mechanical - attracting the natural enemies of the wireworm. For example, frogs, hedgehogs or bees.
- Nettle decoction. Make a concentrated decoction of nettle by mixing several bushes of plants with boiling water. Insist a few hours (ideally - night) and water the beds.
- Celandine. 100 grams celandine mix with 10 liters of water. Insist the solution for 3 days, and then also water the beds on which the pest has settled.
- Slaked lime. Slightly priporoshit beds, it will scare away the larvae and make the soil unsuitable for their development.
- Plant scare plants. For example, buckwheat, legumes. The smell and the specific type of plants scares off the larvae and the potatoes no longer interest them.
- Every few years it is recommended to dig the garden completely and sprinkle it with salt.
В самом начале отмечалось, что проволочник зачастую появляется на участках, которым не уделяется должного ухода. А именно: допускается существование сорняков, густо засаживается участок. Therefore, it is very important to observe the proper rules of garden care, and in this case the wireworm beetle will not be able to settle in your garden.
The wireworm is one of the most dangerous pests that can cause great damage to the crop of garden crops. However, if you correctly carry out the prevention of chemical, as well as folk remedies, it is possible to prevent its appearance and the development of the pest. Only with a systematic struggle can you keep the harvest forever.
Watch the video! How to easily destroy the wireworm in the garden