It is difficult to find someone who is indifferent to cucumbers. Of course, the most delicious this vegetable will be, if it is grown on its own and personally pulled from the garden. But which variety to choose in order to get the minimum of worries and maximum enjoyment when using it? Variety of cucumbers Elegant fully meets these criteria.
Brief description and characteristics of the cucumber Elegant
In the opinion of our readers, the variety of cucumbers Graceful has earned itself a well-deserved authority. It is grown, as a rule, in open ground, where it is naturally pollinated by insects.
Elegant in characteristics refers to early maturingwho firmly endures all the vicissitudes of the domestic weather in the spring months.
With proper care, after 6–9 weeks after planting, the plant will form 4–5 side branches, and makes it possible to harvest the first crop. The fruits of the description have a beautiful ellipsoidal shape, and reach the length 13 cmweighing up to 140 grams.
The pulp of ripe cucumbers has no voids, and contains a minimum of substances that give bitterness. The fruit has a delicate taste and persistent cucumber flavor.
The length of the fruits of the Graceful about 13 cm, weight up to 120 grams
Positive and negative features of the variety
The advantages of this variety are:
- resistance to major diseaseshigh resistance to plant parasites
- the variety is adapted to short-term temperature drops, is cold resistant culture
- has a decent aesthetic appearance and high taste,
- By the end of May, the beginning of June will delight lovers of their own fresh vegetables, on average 50 days after planting seeds in open ground,
- helps in pollination of other varieties, acts as a catalyst for cross-pollination,
- acceptable yield up to 7 kg per square meter bed,
- as well as possible is suitable for preparation of fresh salads, but does not lose the qualities when canning.
The disadvantages include an excessive number of male inflorescences, somewhat rough skin of the fruit, very noticeable when used fresh.
Cooking beds for planting
Preparation of the site and soil for planting cucumbers Graceful does not differ original requirements, however, to get decent
the harvest is recommended to follow a set of soil preparation rules, and do not forget about competent crop rotation.
- Like other varieties, Elegant light-requiring and demanding of soil moisture and air. Beds must be formed on the non-shaded, non-windy areas. For more effective development of the plant, avoid areas of low relief: in the lowlands accumulates cold, which depresses them.
- The most favorable soil for planting are loam and sandy, well-fertilized soils with neutral or slightly increased acidity.
- Like many other varieties Graceful reacts well to organictherefore, the use of organic fertilizers will have a beneficial effect on yield.
- In accordance with the rules of crop rotation, cucumbers will feel great in places where onions, cabbage, tomatoes, and potatoes used to be fruitful. It is highly undesirable to plant cucumbers after crops belonging to the pumpkin family: watermelons, melons, zucchini and squash.
- Manure on the cucumber beds is better to make in the fall. Turning into humus, it becomes an easily accessible battery for a given culture, having a root system located in the upper layers of the earth.
- Before sowing, in the spring, each square meter of a bed it is desirable to fertilize 4 kg of humus or compost. At the same time, it is advisable to use the ash as a full-fledged substitute for fertilizers of the potash group, at the rate of 200 grams per square meter of area. If necessary, in early spring, ammonium nitrate and superphosphate of 15 and 40 grams per square meter are applied to the soil, respectively.
- To reduce the acidity of the soil, it should chaff. It should not be forgotten that the liming should not be accompanied by the introduction of manure, since the reaction between these compounds leads to a decrease in the content of nitrogen components. If anti-acid measures are carried out in the fall, fertilization is done in spring.
Basic rules for planting, care and storage
The plot is prepared, go to the sowing of cucumbers. To do this, choose the method of landing - seeds or seedlings, and observe the following rules:
- for planting seeds of cucumber varieties Graceful optimum temperature for heating the top layer mail is 15-18 degrees,
- the ground in the planting holes is loosened together with the nutrient composition, consisting of peat, humus, mineral fertilizers and sand, plentifully watered with warm water,
- the seeds are dipped into the prepared soil at a depth 1.5-2 cm, after that the garden bed is mulched and covered with garden film.
Seedlings are planted in open ground, during the formation of the plant 3-5 leaves and average temperature 20 degrees. When planting seedlings should be used landing containers: cucumber painfully transfers dive. We do not disregard the process of hardening of young plants.
Grade cucumber seeds
Caring for cucumbers varieties "Elegant" standard, does not require agrotechnical delights. And is to:
- periodic watering of plants warm water and loosening the topsoil,
- watering every decade is accompanied by the addition of top dressing,
- A bush of 5-6 lashes is formed by pinching the main stem between the third and fourth leaflets,
- in the summer for irrigation use sprinkling methodthat favorably affects the process of photosynthesis,
- this variety not susceptible to major diseases, but for greater safety, once every two to three weeks it is advisable to carry out preventive spraying.
Collect ready-made fruits as they mature, with the acquisition of the size characteristic of this variety. It is not necessary to wait for the yellowing of cucumbers: the rind of the fruits torn off with delay becomes coarse, the cucumber loses its taste and commodity qualities.
Do not use sealed packaging for storage: the lack of fresh air contributes to the development of green stuffiness and rapid loss of quality.
The benefits of the Cucumber Grade are obvious. We hope that our recommendations will positively affect the yield.
Brief description of the variety
Grade an elegant cucumber, was used by gardeners in Russia, back in the 70s of the last century, and is considered the most common and sought after. Cucumber elegant description of the variety:
- It belongs to the early ripening varieties, and reaches its maturity for eating, from the moment of sowing, after six weeks.
- This variety refers to universal varietiesas it is suitable for cultivation in open ground and in greenhouses.
- It has good resistance to cold, so it can be grown in conditions with a short summer and cold climates.
- The variety is bee-pollinated, but other varieties of cucumbers can be planted next to it, which will be pollinated by a large number of male inflorescences, an elegant variety.
- It does not occupy a large area during growth, as it has a small weaving, from which a little more than five side shoots depart.
- Besides pretty resistant to many diseasestypical of cucumbers.
- Suitable for cooking fresh salads, also used for canning.
- Elegant cucumber does not apply to hybrids.
Description of the fetus and its characteristics
It is green, oblong ellipsoid, has a bright green color with small spikes on a bumpy surface with a slight pubescence. Grow a little more than ten centimeters. The flesh of the fruit is juicy and crispy, pleasant to the taste and has no voids. The peel has a persistent cucumber smell and almost does not contain bitterness. Zelentsy almost always have the same size and even shape, which is very convenient when canning for homemade preparations. The only drawback of the elegant cucumber is its low yield.
As for most vegetables, and for cucumber Elegant, soil preparation is of great importance. when getting a decent harvest. At the same time, it is necessary to comply with all agrotechnical measures and proper crop rotation.
- Cucumber is a graceful, light-loving plant, besides it is necessary to observe the necessary soil moisture during growth. The beds for planting must be done at a certain elevation, since the cold in the lowlands has a negative effect on growth and fruiting. They should be located in areas well lit by the sun, and be protected from drafts.
- The best soil for planting are considered well fertilized loamy and sandy soils with neutral acidity.
- It has a good effect on yield, application of organic fertilizers, but it is best to apply them to the soil during the autumn preparation of the site for planting this crop.
- Experienced gardeners always follow the rules of crop rotation, and in one place they try not to plant the same vegetables for several years in a row. Therefore, the plots where onions, cabbage, tomatoes, and potatoes were grown last season are good for sowing cucumbers. Since these vegetables take completely different nutrients from the soil, they have different diseases.
- If the soil is prepared in the spring just before planting, then it is advisable to add humus or compost, ash, ammonium nitrate, superphosphate in certain proportions to the site for cucumbers and dig everything up carefully. The soil should be loose and fertile, with a high content of humus, which will definitely have a positive effect on growth and yield.
- If the site has a high acidity, then before planting a graceful cucumber, the soil must be lime.
Since, according to the characteristics of this variety, the cucumber is an elegant plant and can be grown in two ways: seedling and direct sowing in open ground. But before sowing, be sure to soak for some time in a growth stimulator, and you can sprout.
For sowing on seedlings, the soil prepared from autumn is poured into separate containers, it should be fertile and loose in composition. In each cup, sow only one seed, as the cucumber does not like when its root system is disturbed. When four of these leaves, and it will be about a month, the seedlings are transplanted to a permanent place of growth. The main thing is to carefully remove the plant from the cup, along with a clod of earth, so as not to damage the root.
Planting in open ground, even easier to plant and care for the plant. In the previously prepared soil, when it reaches a temperature of at least 15 degrees, you can sow the seeds also, previously soaked in any growth stimulator. Grooves or holes are made on the garden bed, for whom it is more convenient and seeds are laid to a depth of no more than two centimeters, after which the soil is mulched and covered with covering material from above to accelerate the appearance of sprouts.
Since the elegant cucumber is characterized as an unpretentious plant, when it is grown, it is enough to follow some rules:
- Required conduct daily watering, especially in warm weather, in overcast watering can be reduced, while using warm distilled water. After watering, it is recommended to loosen the top layer of soil for better access of oxygen to the root system. It is best to water from a watering can by sprinkling, which is favorable affects the process of photosynthesis in the leaves of plants.
- To make cucumbers grow better, it is necessary to feed every 10 days, alternating organic and mineral fertilizers.
- In order to simplify watering, weed control, and to provide free access for bees to pollinate plants, when shoots appear, it is necessary to install trellis for vertical growth of cucumbers.
- Since the variety is bee-pollinated, in order to attract insects, some gardeners sprinkle the leaves with honey or sugar syrup.
- To increase the yield, it is necessary to form a bush in time, removing excess shoots. In order for the bush to consist of no more than six lashes, the main stem must be pinched between the third and fourth leaflets, otherwise the root system simply cannot cope with a large number of shoots and will begin to wither.
Harvest is recommended dailyThat will be a good stimulant for the emergence of new ovaries. You should not wait for the fruit to grow, as their skin becomes stiff and the cucumber loses its taste.
During the growth of cucumbers, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures to combat diseases and pests of the plant. The main diseases characteristic of an elegant cucumber are powdery mildew and root rot. To do this, conduct periodic spraying the appropriate preparations.
This characteristic of cucumber suggests that the plant is not whimsical for planting and caring for it, however, it is not intended for long-term storage, so freshly harvested fruits should be processed, pickled, salted or consumed fresh as soon as possible.
History of the variety
This variety was bred by Soviet breeders who worked at VNIISSOK. The “author” of the variety is O.V. Yurina. In the State Register of the new variety was introduced in the early 70s of the last century. And since then, cucumber varieties Graceful constantly grown in different parts of our country, not only in the open field, but also in the greenhouse.
This cucumber was zoned for growing in the Central, Volgovyatsky, Middle Volga, Far Eastern, North-Western regions, as well as in Siberia and the Urals. Experts recommend growing an elegant open-air cucumber, but you can also plant it in greenhouse conditions.
Characteristics and description of cucumber variety Elegant
Cucumbers Graceful - srednepletistye. The length of the lashes is up to 3 m, with mostly male flowers being formed on the main shoot, and female flowers on the side shoots. Therefore, the cucumber bushes Graceful required to form. The main shoot is formed, leaving 5 male flowers on it. And lateral stems pinch at a height of 0.6 m only in order to provoke the growth of shoots.
Also whip should be tied to the trellis (usually recommended fan tying).
A large number of both female and male flowers are formed on the whips, so this variety is often grown next to those cucumbers on which only female flowers appear, for their pollination.
Important! The variety is bee-pollinated, therefore in the conditions of the greenhouse, vegetable growers have to self-pollinate it.
To better attract bees and other insect pollinators, gardeners spray whips with sugar or honey solution - 400 g of sugar or 1 cup of honey is dissolved in a liter of water.
The variety is early maturing and versatile in terms of growing conditions - it takes about 1.5 months from the appearance of the first sprouts to harvest, and it grows equally well on the beds in the garden and in greenhouse conditions. This vegetable culture calmly transfers spring fluctuations in temperature, as well as other weather cataclysms, its main positive quality is high resistance to a sharp drop in air temperature.
If you properly care for the bushes of this vegetable, after 1.5-2 months at least 4 lateral stems form at the main shoot, and the first fruits ripen on the main lash.
These cucumbers are highly resistant to the following diseases:
- powdery mildew,
- olive spotting.
The shape of ripened fruits is elongated, ellipsoid. Coloring of a thin skin - saturated and emerald. Ripened fruits have approximately the same size: length from 9 to 13.5 cm, weight - 125-145 g. The fruits themselves are even, covered with small tubercles, have a slight white pubescence. The skin is thin, crunchy, longitudinal white stripes are clearly visible on it, and the top is light. The flesh is light, tender, crunchy, has no voids. Ripe fruits do not have bitterness, aroma is typically cucumber.
Productivity - up to 7 kg per square. meter Commodity and taste qualities of ripened fruits are excellent. Harvest well tolerates transportation over long distances without losing taste and presentation. Variety refers to the universal - the fruits are used fresh, as well as in conservation.
Agrotechnics cultivation varieties
Planting seed is carried out in two ways:
- right on the beds,
- with pre-growing seedlings at home.
Seedlings should be planted on seedlings in the last decade of April or in the first decade of May. Seeds purchased in specialized stores do not require prior disinfection or stratification. But here pre-soak them necessary to accelerate the emergence of seedlings.
Cucumbers, like other members of the pumpkin family, do not like frequent transplants, because their tender root system is often accidentally injured during the picking or transplanting into the open field. As a result, seedlings do not acclimatize well at a new place, grow more slowly, often even die.
Семена этого сорта сразу высаживают по одному в торфяные стаканчики, чтобы подросшую рассаду высаживать с тарой в подготовленные грядки. Грунт, который насыпают в емкости, должен быть максимально приближен к тому, в который будут пересаживать сеянцы.
Usually, seedlings grow at home for about a month, based on this, they are determined with the time of planting of seeds - they are transplanted into open ground when the soil at the site warms to 15 ° C to a depth of 12-15 cm. By this time, seedlings grow at least 4 -5 permanent leaves, and the plants themselves become strong and strong. Planting of seedlings is carried out at the rate of 2-3 plants per 1 m2.
Important! When planting seed directly into the ground, it is necessary to check that the soil temperature is at least 14 ° C. At lower temperatures, the seeds may simply not ascend.
The seeding depth in this case is 1.5 cm.
The beds for planting seeds or seedlings are prepared in the fall - manure, humus or compost is added for digging, as cucumbers require a large amount of humus for growth and fruiting. 10 kg of organic fertilizer is applied to 1 m2, which is buried to a depth of 18-20 cm. By spring, these fertilizers begin to decompose, releasing heat and nutrients into the soil. Additionally, in the spring when planting seeds or seedlings in the wells add potassium phosphate fertilizers.
After planting the beds watered every day, preventing the drying of the topsoil. Before the emergence of seedlings, beds are covered with polyethylene to protect the shoots from possible spring frosts.
Further care of the seedlings is:
- regular watering
- loosening the soil
- making a mulch layer,
- weed removal
- making feedings.
When the seedlings appear on 4-5 leaves, on the beds set the trellis to whip this cucumber grew up. This saves space on the site, facilitates the care of the bushes and the collection of ripening fruits.
Callers on the trellis
The main thing in the process of caring for this vegetable crop is to observe the watering regime. Do not allow the soil to dry out, so if hot dry weather sets in, the cucumber beds should be watered every day. in rainy weather, the number of waterings reduced.
Important! Water for irrigation should be warm, cold moisture often provokes the development of root rot in this vegetable crop.
Make a top dressing for these plants should be 12-14 days after transplantation of seedlings in open ground. Fertilization frequency - once in two weeks. Usually alternate organic and mineral supplements. Before the flowers appear, nitrogen should be included in the dressing, after the cucumbers begin to actively bloom, the amount of nitrogen fertilizers is reduced to a minimum.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The main advantages of cucumber Elegant include:
- earliness - from the moment of emergence of shoots to the collection of the first fruits takes about 1.5 months,
- high resistance to spring frosts,
- increased resistance to cold snaps,
- good commodity and taste of ripe fruit,
- resistance to most infectious and fungal diseases,
- the universality of ripe fruit: suitable for salad, and for canning,
- even perepevaya, the fruit does not turn yellow, the seeds remain tender, and the skin does not coarsen,
- harvested crop tolerates transportation.
There are practically no drawbacks to this variety, except for the peculiarities of care: the obligatory formation of bushes, the mandatory garter. It can also be considered a disadvantage of a relatively low yield. Currently, there are a large number of new early-growing varieties with higher yields.
Characteristics and description of the variety
Grade Elegant bred in VNIISSOK back in Soviet times. In 1971, he was included in the State Register of the Russian Federation. It is recommended to grow this cucumber in the Central, Ural, Volga-Vyatka, East Siberian, West Siberian, Middle Volga, Far Eastern and North-Western regions. The plants are early ripening, it takes 45-50 days from germination to the first crop of greengrass. Variety bee pollinated. It is intended mainly for open ground, but can also be planted in greenhouses, greenhouses.
According to the description of the originator, the cucumber variety Graceful has the following characteristics:
- bushes srednepletistye, lateral lashes - 5-6 pcs.,
- Zelentsy leveled, in the form of an ellipse, finely tuberous, with small spikes of white color,
- the skin is green, with not pronounced white stripes,
- the flesh is thick, juicy, crunchy, not bitter,
- fruit length - 10-13 cm, weight - 66-140 g.
The yield of cucumbers Elegant - 7-9 kg with 1 m 2 cucumber beds. Salt cucumber Grade Elegant is used for fresh consumption in salads. You can also preserve them: they are especially good in pickling.
Advantages and disadvantages
Grade Graceful has many positive qualities, because of which it is still planted in their beds vegetable growers. It:
- low cost of seeds
- the ability to grow in almost all regions of the Russian Federation,
- early ripeness
- cold resistance
- the ability to be a pollinator (due to the large number of male flowers),
- excellent resistance to bad weather
- immunity to olive spot and powdery mildew, bacteriosis,
- good resistance of fruits to overgrowing and yellowing.
- fruit uniformity
- universality of their use,
- stable yield,
- prolonged fruiting
- good taste characteristics of greens.
There were no significant deficiencies in cucumber variety Graceful, except for relatively low (compared to new hybrids) yields and degradation of the skin noted by some vegetable growers in green leaves hanging on the whips. But the appearance of thick peel - rather the fault of the gardener himself. If you collect the fruit on time, they will remain thin-skinned and juicy.
Agrotehnika cultivation and care
Cucumber variety Grade is bred for cultivation in the beds in the open field, but it can also be successfully planted in greenhouses, film greenhouses, under temporary shelters. Unlike modern hybrids, the plants are not too demanding of cultivation conditions, they are cold resistant and early fruiting. In private farms, they often practice planting at the earliest dates, and also use the variety as a pollinator for other cucumbers.
Garden beds are prepared in the fall. On 1 m 2 area contribute from 5 to 10 kg of manure, humus, compost. The quantity depends on the initial state of the soil. If the ground is heavy, clay, add sand or sawdust. Ash (200 g) or phosphorus-potassium mineral preparations are used as fertilizers. The beds are deeply dug up. In greenhouses, the whole complex of works is carried out 1-2 weeks before planting. Local fertilization in the wells or furrows is used in the spring with a minimum of their stock.
Cucumber Graceful grown direct sowing of seeds in the ground or rassadnym way. In the first case, work begins when the soil warms to a temperature of 15-20 ° C during the day and at least 8 ° C at night. In greenhouses or greenhouses, seeds are sown at the beginning - mid-May, in the beds - in May or early June, depending on the region. Seedlings of cucumbers begin to grow 1 month earlier. Plants are planted at a permanent place at the age of 20-25 days.
Seeds of cucumbers Graceful differ in good germination. Before sowing, the planting material of its own collection is calibrated and disinfected in a solution of potassium permanganate or fungicidal compositions. Seeds from packages do not pickle. Then, if desired, they are soaked in growth stimulants or germinated in moist tissue.
When early planting in the soil is desirable to sow the seeds dry. So they will not disappear if the street becomes cold.
To grow cucumber seedlings, prepare individual tanks with a volume of 200 - 300 ml for each plant. They are stuffed with fertile soil, which is well moistened. Seeds are sown to a depth of 1-1.5 cm, 1 pc. in a glass. The containers are covered with foil and left in a room at a temperature of 25-30 ° C. After 3-7 days, when shoots appear on the surface, the protective cover is removed.
Further temperature is maintained at 15-25 ° C, light day 10-12 hours. Water cucumber plants watered with warm water, so that the soil at the roots always remains wet. During the growing period, seedlings are fed 1-2 times with water-soluble or liquid complex fertilizers with microelements 1-2 times. 1 week before transplanting to the open ground, the cucumbers are hardened. If they grow under the shelter of any type, the procedure is not carried out.
On the garden bed or in the greenhouse for the Grade Grade variety, the planting pattern is selected: 3 plants in a row for 1 running meter and 75 cm between rows. Similarly, planted and seedlings. Seeds are sown to a depth of 1-1.5 cm in the grooves or holes, which are then sprinkled with peat or fertile soil. The beds are abundantly irrigated. For early plantings in the open field, use a film or agrofibre until seedlings appear.
Seedlings of cucumbers are transplanted to a permanent place along with a clod of earth, without injuring the roots. To conveniently pull the plants out of the pots, they are watered a few hours before. Planted cucumbers without depth, after planting must be watered.
If the weather is hot and sunny, use temporary shading of the bushes. So they take root better and start moving faster.
Grade Elegant rather unpretentious in growing, but also requires the application of some rules of agricultural technology, which, however, are not very complex. In order for the plants to reveal their full potential and please them with a good harvest, the gardener should take care of high-quality pollination. This is especially necessary for greenhouse cucumbers at the very beginning of fruiting. This will help any methods of attracting insects or manual pollination of flowers.
When growing plants spend forming bushes. Pinch the main stem over 5 leaves. Regrown lateral shoots are tied to supports or allowed to freely move along the ground. Also during the season, remove old, yellowed leaves that are no longer needed by plants. This not only improves the ventilation of the bushes, reduces the likelihood of disease, but also provides the best yield. Nutrients are spent on the formation and maturation of the ovaries, and not on the leaves.
Standard for culture are regular watering, weed removal, shallow loosening of the soil, as well as top dressing. Water cucumbers in the morning or in the evening, under the root, with warm water. Irrigation frequency depends on temperature and weather conditions. On average, the plants are watered 2-3 times a week before fruiting, and 3-4 times during a mass harvest of fruits. If it is hot, you may need to do it daily. The roots of cucumbers are not deeply located, while the plants are very fond of moisture.
For a good harvest will need and feeding. Fertilize cucumbers variety Graceful every 2 weeks. Alternate organic and mineral supplements. Use top dressing slurry, chicken manure, herbal infusion, ash. From chemistry, complex preparations with microelements are used, for example, Agricola, AgroMaster, Crystalon, Mortar, Kemira.
Gather cucumbers of the variety Graceful during the period of mass fruiting every day, choosing the greens that have reached the standard size. This speeds up the process of setting a new crop. Only a seed specimen can remain old on a bush.
Cucumber Graceful takes a pedestal leader in many garden and suburban areas for many years. Despite the large selection of different types and varieties of vegetables, this cucumber has not lost its relevance. They bred this variety back in the 60s in Russia, later it was added to the state register for use in all regions of our country. Grade Cucumber Elegant has the following characteristics:
- The early ripe grade, fruits will be ready to the use in 40 days after formation of shoots,
- It grows well not only in open ground, but also in greenhouses, greenhouses,
- It tolerates cold temperatures, so it can be used for growing in the Northern regions,
- This variety is pollinated by bees, and its flowers are predominantly male. Cucumber perfectly pollinates neighboring plants, especially if they have female inflorescences,
- High resistance to diseases.
Cucumbers have an oblong shape and rich green color. The length of this fruit can reach 14 cm, and weight up to 150 grams. Such cucumbers usually grow very even, with small tubercles on them. The peel of the vegetable is thin, has a light top. The flesh does not have a bitter taste, it is strong and very juicy. The taste of this variety remains at its best. In cooking, cucumbers are used not only fresh, but also for preservation. Up to 7 kg of these vegetables can be collected per square meter of land.
Advantages and disadvantages
Cucumber Elegant has such advantages as:
- The fruits ripen early enough
- In the care of the vegetable is unpretentious,
- Great fruit taste,
- Tolerates cold
- Seeds for planting are not expensive,
- Over-grown fruits do not turn yellow.
The disadvantages include:
- Low yield, compared with new varieties,
- The overripe fruit has a rough skin,
- Some fruits have a white side that looks in cooking is not very beautiful.
Planting this type of cucumber is carried out in two ways: seedlings or sowing seeds into the ground. To get seedlings independently from the seeds, they must be sown in late spring. It is better if you soak the planting material in a special composition to stimulate growth and germinate them in separate containers.
Each seed is planted in a separate container. This plant does not like to transplant, so that its roots are disturbed. When the seedlings will be about 25 days, at least 4 young leaves should appear on it. At this point, the seedling can be transferred to the ground, do not touch the clod on the roots. On a square meter plot should be planted no more than three seedlings.
If you want to plant cucumbers with seeds, then you need to sow them only when the earth warms to at least +15 degrees. Sowing depth should not exceed 2 cm. Note that the soil for the seeds should be prepared in the autumn, so it will be quite loose and fertile.
When the seeds are planted, do not forget to monitor the condition of the soil, it should always be wet. If necessary, water it daily. To further retain heat and moisture, you can cover the bed with cucumbers of any material. When the first shoots appear, it is advisable to install a small support near them so that the shoots go up vertically. So you will not only save space on your plot, but also make it easier for you to take care of cucumbers.
This type of cucumber is quite unpretentious and does not require any special skills, however, some manipulations must be carried out on an ongoing basis. Almost everyone knows that cucumber consists of water by as much as 90%, so it becomes clear that the main criterion in the successful cultivation of this vegetable is timely watering. If the summer was very hot, the bushes need to be watered daily. It is very important to water the beds with cucumbers only with warm water.
For a good harvest, the plant must be fed. This procedure is carried out once every 10 days. The ideal option would be the alternation of mineral fertilizers with organic. If you grow a Cucumber Graceful in a greenhouse or greenhouse, you need to ensure that it is free to penetrate bees and other insects. This variety partially pollinates itself. On the bush you can find flowers that have both pistil and stamen. Therefore, even without the participation of insects, you can still count on a harvest. To raise it, insects are needed, so it’s best that they can easily enter the greenhouse. You can use honey or sugar syrup and spray the plant with them, so you increase the interest of bees in the colors of cucumbers.
Pruning this variety of cucumbers will not only form a good bush for maximum yield, but also protect it from diseases. The root system of this cucumber is extremely weak and cannot provide all parts of the plant with essential nutrients. For this reason, some ovaries simply dry out and fall from the bush. In order not to start the development of such a process, you just need to remove unnecessary parts of the plant in time. The variety is graceful is medium, therefore its pruning should be insignificant.
Count off about 5 sheets from the bottom and pinch the stem of the plant. Lateral shoots direct to the support, pin to the ground and sprinkle a little with soil to get additional roots. This plant usually forms about 5 lashes, which is enough for maximum yield.
If you collect ripe cucumbers daily, it will stimulate the plant to give new ovaries. If the care is correct and timely, then cucumbers will bear fruit throughout the summer season.
More detail on the care of this variety in the video
Grade cucumbers Graceful blessed with love gardeners and gardeners for many years. It is not surprising. With all its simplicity of care, you get a great crop of smooth and very tasty cucumbers. With the help of this variety, you will not only get enough fresh cucumbers for the summer, but also replenish your conservation reserves.
The main characteristics of a cucumber variety Elegant
Cucumbers came to us from tropical India. These plants of the pumpkin family are an annual crop common in our gardens. Its fruits, consisting of 97 percent water, contain:
- vitamin C,
- mineral salts,
- pectic substances
In the food fruits of cucumber consumed unripe. Currently, many varieties have been bred, one of which is Elegant - and will be discussed in the article.
Выбирая семена для посадки, лучше обращать внимание на районированные сорта: они приспособлены к климатическим условиям рекомендуемой зоны. Elegant Cucumber, added to the State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation in 1971, is suitable for cultivation in the North-West, Central, Volga-Vyatka, Middle Volga, Ural, West Siberian, East Siberian, Far Eastern regions of Russia. Cold resistance allows cultivating Graceful also in the conditions of a short summer of the North and Siberia. This is an early ripe variety - fruiting occurs 42–45 days after germination.
Fruits of a grade Graceful extended, with a thin thin skin, small-tuberous, at storage do not turn yellow. Weight - 90–140 g, length - 8–12 cm. With a planting density of 2–3 plants per 1 square meter. m yield is 7 kg of fruit from this area.
Selected Zelentsy grape varieties justify their name - they are elegant shape and great taste
Type of shoots
The plant is medium branchy: forms 4–6 stems in the form of lianas 2–3 m long. It is important the proper formation of the bush, sincevarietal cucumbers, unlike hybrids, form female flowers on the lateral branches, only male flowers are located on the main stem. Side shoots pinch only to enhance branching, when they reach a length of 50–60 cm. Pin the main stem, leaving 4–5 male flowers needed for pollination.
With the proper formation of the bush, the Grade Elegant variety is notable for high yields.
The variety is universal: the fruits are consumed fresh, and are also suitable for canning. As soon as the first pickles ripen, they are used for summer vitamin salads. In addition, graceful cucumbers can pickle, pickle, sour, and make vegetable platter.
Especially good summer cucumbers with the first greens - radishes, parsley and dill
Type of pollination
It is important to decide in advance where the variety will be grown - in a greenhouse or in open ground. Elegant refers to bee-pollinated - the ovary is formed only when pollinated by insects. Therefore, it is usually grown in open ground, but can be cultivated under temporary shelter (depending on the weather).
Bee pollinated cucumbers will give greater yield in the open ground
Period and conditions of fruiting
Early ripening varieties have a short fruiting period. The variety is graceful, planted with seeds in early June, abundantly fruiting in the middle of summer. After that, fruiting is reduced, as the formation of new branches slows down.
Cucumbers love moisture and warmth. They grow well and bear fruit at a temperature of + 22–28 ° C. With a decrease in temperature, growth is slowed down, and at +15 ° C, it stops. When cooling below +10 ° C cucumbers get sick, the roots of plants rot, which leads to their death.
To protect the planting from frost and maintain the temperature for growth, a temporary film cover is used in spring and autumn. In this case, the yield will be much greater than when grown without shelter.
To protect young cucumber plants from frost and maintain optimum temperature, temporary film covers are used.
Growing a variety cucumber
Cultivation of this variety of cucumbers is no different from other early ripe varieties. First of all, it is important to choose the right place for landing. Cucumbers fruit well in sunny areas - with shading not more than four hours a day. They prefer light, sandy or loamy fertile soils.
The best predecessors for cucumber:
Seed preparation for planting
Cucumber seeds remain viable for 6–8 years. Their preparation is carried out in this way:
- Before planting, the seeds are immersed in water or a 3% solution of common salt. Pop up discarded: it is empty seeds, they will not ascend.
Small and empty cucumber seeds are rejected
Soaked cucumber seeds sprout better and grow faster
Germinated seeds sown in the ground or on seedlings.
Sowing of seeds is done in such a way that 25–30 days pass before planting.. To shift the peak of fruiting varieties Graceful in the first half of summer, seedlings sown in late April. Mixture for sowing buy or prepare the soil yourself. To do this, mix:
- 6 pieces of rotted manure,
- 3 pieces of land
- 1 part of sand.
In addition, 10 kg of soil mix contribute:
- 6 g of urea,
- 10 g of superphosphate,
- 6 g of potassium sulfate,
- 2 g of magnesium sulfate.
Personally prepared substrate is disinfected - calcined in the oven or shed with 1% solution of potassium permanganate.
Cucumbers require nutritious loose soil, which absorbs moisture well and passes air.
The process of growing seedlings consists of consecutive steps:
- In each tank for planting (in plastic or peat cups with holes for water outflow), one germinated seed is planted. This will allow for subsequent transplantation not to disturb the roots of plants. Depth of seeding is 1.5–2 cm.
Cucumber seeds are planted in plastic or peat cups with holes for water outflow
Planting seedlings in the ground
Seedlings are planted on the bed at the age of one month when it has 4 true leaves. Under cover, this can be done in the second half of April, and in open ground without shelter - in early June. For hardening before landing in the ground it is carried out into the open air (not under direct sunlight).
The soil at the site is fertilized since autumn, and dug up in the spring. For landing choose cloudy day. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- Make the wells in such a way that 1 square. m accounted for 3-4 plants.
- Before planting the wells watered with warm water.
- Planting seedlings carefully, preventing the destruction of earthen coma. At the same time they are deepened to cotyledon leaves.
When planting seedlings in the ground, it is important to prevent the destruction of the earthy coma and damage to the roots
Rassad needs time to acclimatize, get used to a new place, after which growth begins.
Planting seeds in the ground
Planting seeds of this variety in the same way as others, acting in a certain sequence:
- Choosing a place for planting, make two buckets of humus or rotted manure and 0.5 kg of wood ash per 1 square. m. To provide plants with nitrogen, potash and phosphate fertilizers, add 10–15 g of ammonium nitrate, 20–25 g of potassium nitrate and 25–30 g of granulated superphosphate to the same area.
- After digging the soil form a bed height of 20-30 cm above the ground.
The middle of the bed for cucumbers is made below the edges, this will give the opportunity to save water when watering
The bed is watered with warm water before sowing. After you can not water: the seeds go to the ground.
If the seedlings begin to stretch, pour humus with sand to the cotyledon leaves.. This will allow the plant to form additional stalk roots.
If the shoots of cucumber begin to stretch, you need to spud them
When the seedlings grow, they are tied to the trellis. In open ground, the graceful variety is not pinched: the plantings will not be thickened, as the variety is medium branchy..
Growing cucumbers on the trellis will give the plants more sunlight and air
Care for cucumber varieties Elegant
The main care after planting cucumber varieties Graceful - watering and feeding.
Cucumbers are watered with warm water 1–2 times a week, and more often during flowering and fruiting. Water should not fall on the leaves of plants - this will provoke the development of diseases. It is impossible to water with cold water: the roots of the plants get sick and the ovaries die.
The roots of cucumbers are located close to the ground, so they loosen the soil carefully or simply mulch with humus.
It is better to feed early cucumbers with organic matter, but since this is not always possible, mineral fertilizers are also used. Make a feed under the bush, as well as on the sheet (liquid varieties of fertilizers).
History of breeding varieties
Cucumber Graceful - old early ripe variety that is listed in the state register of breeding achievements. It was bred in 1971 by the All-Russian Research Institute for Breeding and Seed Production of Garden Crops.
Initially, a variety of cucumbers Graceful was intended for cultivation in the Far East, Siberia and the Urals. Today it is grown in the central and north-western regions of Russia.
Yield and fruiting
The fruiting period is rather short, but abundant. Planted culture in June, gives the first fruits in mid-July - early August. After the first harvest, fruiting is declining due to slower growth of the crop.
This variety is especially fond of the sun and abundant watering. If it is cold outside, the culture slows down. With a significant cooling, the culture is sick and dies. Therefore, it is very important to provide cucumbers with reliable protection from frost and sudden temperature changes. During the period of cooling the plant is covered with a special film. This is how you can achieve a good harvest.
Up to 4-6 kg of fruits can be harvested from 1 m 2 during the fruiting period. Harvesting is recommended at intervals of 2-3 days.
Cucumber variety Graceful during the fruiting period in the photo:
Disease and Pest Resistance
Perhaps one of the disadvantages of culture is susceptibility to fungal infections. Elegant cucumber is not afraid of olive spot, but it can be affected by aphid and powdery mildew. The culture is especially susceptible in cool and rainy time in densely planted areas.
If it so happened that the plant has already struck aphids, you can treat the bushes with garlic infusion. On a bucket of water is 70 g of chopped garlic. Mixture day insist, then carry out preventive spraying.
Fungal infection, which is characterized by white spots in the form of plaque, very often affects cucumbers. Such cultures lose their ovaries, eventually they die.
To save the plant from the disease, it is important to identify it in the early stages, otherwise the risk of the disease affecting the entire summer cottage is high. At the first signs of the defeat of the bushes with powdery mildew, treatment with a fungicide should be made (“Pseudobacterin-2” or “Fitosporin-M”). It should be noted that these drugs are absolutely safe for humans, so the treatment can be performed during the period of fruiting of the culture.
According to recommendations and reviews of gardeners, the seeds of Cucumber Graceful planted on seedlings 4 weeks before planting in the ground.
Step by step implementation of planting seeds for seedlings:
- Plant the grains in small boxes 10 by 10 cm, cover with polyethylene.
- Place the planted material in the heat to 30 degrees, withstand until the seeds are spitting.
- After the emergence of seedlings remove polyethylene, watering the seedlings.
- Place the boxes in a well-lit place - on the windowsill.
- Monitor the temperature regime (in the daytime - 18-22 degrees, at night - 16-20 degrees).
In the process of growth, if necessary, it is recommended to feed the seedlings with complex fertilizers.
After 4 weeks from the time the seedlings are planted, it is possible to prepare sprouts for planting in an open garden bed.
In order to properly carry out planting, it is necessary to prepare the soil in advance - to feed with complex fertilizers. It is also important to prepare the ground in the fall. You can fertilize the garden bed:
- wood ash
- superphosphate mixture.
Growing cucumbers by seedless method
Before planting any vegetable culture, it is important to produce several events with sowing material, namely:
The method of soaking determines the germination of seed. Seeds are soaked in salted water, grains that have surfaced are discarded.
The second procedure is performed for disinfection sevka. To do this, the seeds are soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate and left for half an hour.
After completing these activities, the seeds are ready for planting.
Cucumber Elegant - tall culture, so this variety is grown on the trellis.
- moisten the soil in the planting area,
- make small holes up to 1.5 cm,
- plant them in 2 rows of seeds, keeping a distance of 20-30 cm,
- good water
- at a distance of 1 m to bury the trellis,
- To retain moisture in the soil, mulch the plot with humus.
Selection of areas for landing
Experienced gardeners recommend constantly changing the place for planting cucumbers. The main thing is to choose the right predecessors. Cucumber Graceful excellent fruits in places where they grew:
But in place of legumes or carrots, the culture is better not to plant.
Cucumber variety Graceful in growing and caring unpretentious, but has a susceptibility to aphid and powdery mildew. Therefore, in addition to fertilizing, it is important to produce preventive spraying of the tops of the plant.
Terms of care after planting cucumber Elegant:
- Abundant soil moisture.
- Weeding the plot from weeds.
- Mineral and organic fertilizers.
- Loosening and mulching the site.
Forming a bush
This variety practically does not require the formation of a bush. The formation procedure is performed with 4-6 leaves, unlike other cucumber varieties.
To form a shrub cucumber shrub variety can be in two ways:
- pinch the main branch from 4-6 leaves, send side shoots to the trellis,
- pinch the main stem and direct the side shoots to the ground to get new roots.
Cucumbers Grade Elegant undemanding in the care, but susceptible to many diseases. Therefore, in order to not cultivate the cultivation process, it is recommended to observe several important rules:
- Sow seeds only in fertilized and moist soil.
- All supplements to make in the period of active development of culture.
- If the plant is weak, examine for the presence of disease.
- Regularly carry out preventive spraying against pests.
- Liberally water the plant, do not allow the drying of the root system.
- For watering use drip nozzles.
- Harvest in intervals of 2-3 days for the formation of new ovaries.
Cucumber Elegant - profitable for growing variety. Gives a bountiful harvest of large, crunchy fruits. Having studied in more detail the description and the characteristic, it is possible to come to the conclusion that this variety is not afraid of an abrupt change of weather and is suitable for cultivation in almost any region.
Reviews of gardeners about cucumbers varieties Graceful varied, but mostly positive. Some do not seek to plant them because of susceptibility to diseases. But experienced gardeners know that today there are enough methods (popular and prepared on the basis of special preparations), which easily destroy any pest without harm to the plant and man.
Organic top dressing
The first organic dressing is done a week after planting, then throughout the summer once every 10 days.. Fresh organics feed cucumbers can not, therefore, make infusions. There are several recipes:
- mullein infusion (one part of cow manure and 5 parts of water) - contains decomposed nitrogen, as well as trace elements necessary for plants. Insist one week, before dressing diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10,
Mullein infusion contains decomposed nitrogen required by plants during growth.
Bird droppings can be bought in the store
To make the infusion of grass prepare faster, a load is placed in the bucket.
All organic dressing contribute to the root.
Mineral fertilizers are bought ready-made (“Tseovit Cucumbers”, “Agricola”, “Bio-Master” - contain a ready-made set of micronutrients for additional feeding) or prepare solutions independently (20 g of urea, 10 g of superphosphate and 7 g of sulphate are taken for 10 l of water potassium). Feeding is carried out in this way:
- Cucumbers poured water.
- Then make a ready solution of mineral fertilizers at the root: one liter per plant.
Necessary for the growth of trace elements the plant receives not only from the ground, but also when spraying leaves with nutrient solutions. The results of foliar feeding immediately affect the plants.
Foliar top dressing of cucumbers is carried out in the evening, in calm and dry weather.
Spraying on the sheet is carried out twice per season:
- To accelerate growth, cucumbers are sprayed with solutions containing nitrogen (2 tablespoons of urea per 10 liters of water or 20 g of ammonium nitrate),
- during the formation of ovaries, fertilizing is done with potash and phosphate fertilizers (100 g of potassium sulfate or 200 g of superphosphate per 10 liters of water).
Such dressings are done in the evening in calm weather.
The first signs of damage are spots with a gray-olive bloom on the fruit and brown on the leaves. At defeat of leaves and stalks the plant becomes fragile, easily breaks. Diseased plants are sprayed with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture.
Cucumbers afflicted with olive blotch are sprayed with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture