Cucumbers are the most popular garden crop in the world. Fragrant and juicy cucumbers love everything from small to large. There are many varieties of such a vegetable. One of these varieties is variety of cucumbers Phoenix.
Cucumber variety Phoenix and its history
A very interesting story of the invention of the variety. This type can not be called innovative, it was invented back in 1990. But the leadership position of this species confidently holds today.
Back in 1985, an epidemic of this cucumber disease was raging on the planet. The whole cucumber plantations of Hungary, Bulgaria, and the GDR suffered from it.
The epidemic was steadily approaching the Soviet Union and was already advancing firmly along the southern regions of the USSR. The powdery mildew virus was constantly mutated and modified, and even the most resistant cucumber varieties gradually became susceptible to it.
And in 1990, Soviet breeders made the impossible seem: invented a variety that downy mildew could not overcome.
This sort of received a loud name Phoenix, because he, too, rose from the ashes of the epidemic. Since then, Phoenix has seriously and for a long time won the hearts of vegetable growers not only of our Motherland, but also beyond its borders.
The variety was bred by Soviet breeders in 1990
Description and characteristics
The variety Phoenix is a powerful and tall plant that grows to 3 meters in height. Such a culture can not do without support.
According to the description, late ripening fruits late ripening. Crop begin to collect 60 days after planting seeds in the soil. It is best to grow these vegetables in the open field.
Fruits of the correct cylindrical form of a saturated green color with longitudinal light green stripes. The tuberosity of vegetables is below average. Fruit size reaches 15 cm, and weight - 150 grams.
The culture is bearing fruit for a long time, when already other relatives gave up the entire harvest. Productivity is very high and with sufficient care reaches 3 kg per square meter.
Fruits are universal in use. They can be used both fresh and canned.
The plant requires pollination by insects, cultivation in the greenhouse is not recommended
Advantages and disadvantages
This variety variety has many advantages:
- high yield
- unpretentious care,
- Immunity to temperature extremes
- drought and cold resistance,
- long periods of fruiting,
- long shelf life
- resistance to various diseases
- excellent transportable abilities
- presentable appearance
- versatility in use
- excellent taste.
But it has a phoenix and its flaws. These include:
- limited growing opportunities. Suitable for open ground, but not recommended to grow in greenhouses,
- relatively large fruit sizes.
Features of planting and cultivation of cucumbers
Phoenix is designed for cultivation in the open field. You can grow both from seed and seedling method.
Usually seeds planted in open soil in late May - early June.
Seeds are planted in early May.. Transfer to the open ground after 2 - 3 true leaflets form on the seedlings.
Seeds are planted on seedlings at the beginning of May; when forming, 2-3 true leaves are transferred to open ground.
The soil on the site is best to cook in the fall. Cucumbers love different feeding. Crop yield directly depends on them.
The best way to prepare the soil in the fall. To do this, the site is well removed from weeds, make organic fertilizer (manure, humus, chicken manure). And only after that they dig up.
Seeds must also be prepared. If you purchased glazed seeds, then no manipulations can be made with them. They are already fully prepared: disinfected and processed by growth promoters.
Immediately before planting the seeds, you can once again fertilize the soil with rotted manure. Soil for cucumbers should be airy and well pass air and moisture.
The best forerunners of cucumbers are potatoes, beans, tomatoes.
Planted plant in pre-prepared moist holes. When planting seeds, a pattern of 50 by 40 cm is recommended. 2-4 seeds are planted in each well. If all are sprouting, they must be drained.
When planting seeds, a pattern of 50 by 40 cm is recommended, 2-4 seeds are planted in each well.
Care and harvest
Further care of the plant is constant cleaning weeds, loosening the soil, feeding and watering.
Cucumbers are 90% water and that is why they are very fond of moisture. Watering them is necessary according to weather conditions.If the sky is not happy with frequent precipitation in the form of rain, the plant needs daily watering with settled water at room temperature.
Feedings directly affect the yield of plants. To do this, feed the culture during the entire growing season. Any organic fertilizer is perfect for this.
Harvesting is needed every day, or every other day.. Ripe fruits tear very carefully so as not to damage the rest of the ovary.
Harvesting is needed every day, or every other day.
Disease and Prevention
This variety of vegetables is positioning itself as very resistant to various diseases.
But if any damage has happened, the plants must be treated in a timely manner with an appropriate means, which is sold in all specialized stores.
Cucumber Phoenix - high-yield variety with excellent characteristics and taste, which will provide you with tasty fruits without any trouble in growing.
Features of culture
Bee pollinated cucumber for open ground is considered a variety of late ripening. Perhaps its cultivation with the temporary use of film shelters. As a classic soil cucumber, Phoenix has an overwhelmingly female type of flowering. Fruiting begins after 55-65 days from the moment of germination of seeds and usually yields a crop from mid-July until the onset of cold weather.
Being a universal variety, Phoenix is perfect for both fresh and for any kind of processing - salting, pickling or harvesting of long-term storage salads. Fruits of the correct oblong form weighing up to 180 gr., Reach the size of 15-16 cm, have a pimply surface of bright green color with light impregnations and the same light thorns. Cucumber "Phoenix" is characterized by excellent taste of delicate pulp with small grains and thin skin.
Strong, strongly branched shrub can reach three meters in length of the main stem. The leaves are dark green, ovaries in the sinuses - puchkovye. The main qualities of the culture is high resistance to typical cucumber infections - powdery mildew and mosaic spotting. Pleases variety and good yield. With quality care, he is able to give from 7 to 10 kg per square meter.
Cucumber planting rules
Cucumber "Phoenix" prefers neutral fertile, fertilized with organic soil without groundwater approach. Permanent planting it in the same place is not recommended - the yield is reduced. The best predecessors of cucumbers - onions, tomatoes, potatoes. Planting is carried out in well-heated soil in sunny areas protected from drafts. Daytime temperatures for the normal development of this thermophilic plant should not be below 22˚С, nighttime - 18˚С. On one square meter, no more than 3-4 bushes are planted, the thickening of crops will lead to the inhibition of each other by plants and, as a result, the occurrence of various infections.
In addition to the introduction of humus under the digging before planting, it is necessary to feed:
• Nitrogen (2 g. / 1m 2) after the appearance of the 3rd sheet,
• twice during the growing season - with nitrogen-potassium fertilizer (20 gr. / 1m 2).
Cucumber "Phoenix" many gardeners are often confused with cucumbers "Phoenix-plus", "Phoenix F1", as well as "Phoenix-640", but it is not a hybrid form, but a variety with an average maturity. More modern cucumbers with the same name are derived by the method of hybridization, followed by selection work on an artificially created infectious background. The originator of the new hybrid forms is represented by the Crimean Experimental Selection Station SKZNIISIV.
Variety refers to the bee-pollinating, universal purpose of consumption. Plant indeterminate, srednerosly, srednevetvisty, with a mixed type of flowering. Leaves are medium-sized, bright green in color.
The oval-cylindrical greens, 15-16 cm long, have a dark green color with a slight banding and slight spotting. The surface of the green leaves is lumpy, the pubescence is single, white. Thorns are white. The average weight of green leaves is 0.18 kg. Taste characteristics of fresh Zelentsov are assessed as excellent.
Cucumber "Phoenix" is grown quite simply. It is allowed to perform sowing of seed material directly into the heated soil, as well as using the seedling method:
- It is very important to observe the principles of crop rotation and choose vegetable crops such as potatoes, tomatoes or leguminous plants as precursors for cucumber.
- the ridges in the open field or in the greenhouse construction should be filled with a sufficient amount of organic matter in the autumn,
- The best option is to lay in the manure ridge, which during the winter period has time to decompose and perepret qualitatively,
- in spring, the ridge should be dug up and well raked,
- practically any type of soil with a pH in the range of 6-7.5 with no salinization is suitable for growing cucumbers,
- if the soil is not sufficiently loose and light, then the introduction of humus, peat and sand at the stage of spring digging is carried out,
- sowing seeds can be carried out as an ordinary way, taking into account when calculating the distance between rows, a strong growth of the plant, and sowing in a staggered pattern according to the 50 x 40 cm scheme
- the soil at the time of sowing should be heated and properly moistened, which will increase seed germination rates,
- seeds before sowing are recommended to be disinfected by soaking them in a weak pink solution of potassium permanganate,
- after sowing, the ridge should be covered with a film cover before mass cucumber shoots appear.
The cultivation of seedlings is carried out in accordance with the technology generally accepted for any varieties and hybrids of cucumbers. Planting is subject to seedlings, which has about four true leaves, and also has a well-developed and strong root system.
Seedling should be about 3-4 weeks old. The day before planting, seedlings are abundantly treated "on the sheet" with a solution of "Epin" or "Zircon". At first, transplanted seedlings may need shading from the sun or protection from possible sudden drops in temperature.
The merits of the variety
Cucumber "Phoenix" is widespread, as well as in demand for growing in private farms and in summer cottages due to the following characteristics:
- cold resistance and drought resistance,
- excellent taste: the plant forms unusually juicy and sweet, crunchy greens,
- bee pollinating variety, female type of flowering,
- universal use of ripe greens,
- comprehensive disease resistance
- marketability is 93-100%,
- long period of fruiting.
The variety grows well and bears fruit not only in greenhouses and greenhouses, but also when grown on ridges of open ground.
Phoenix Cucumbers: variety description
Cucumber Phoenix Grade 640 intended for cultivation in open soil. These are late-ripening vegetables; about 60 days pass from the time of planting to fruiting. The plant has powerful lashes growing up to 3m long, they are recommended to organize support.
- oval oblong
- have light greenish longitudinal stripes,
- fruit weight - up to 150 g,
- length - up to 15 cm
- they have bumps with white spines.
Cucumbers are consumed fresh and canned, used for pickling.
Cucumber Phoenix fruits while the weather allows, but longer than other varieties of cucumbers. With the observance of the rules of agro-technology, it is possible to obtain a high yield With one square meter of land can be collected 2.5-3.5 kg of cucumbers. The plant is pollinated by insects.
Cucumber Phoenix Plus created all the same breeder. However, the characteristics of this vegetable are somewhat different than those of 640. This variety is mid-season, about 45 days elapse before the fruit ripens from planting. More compact, srednevetvisty. The leaves are small, light green. Fruit weight - up to 60g, length - up to 12cm. Pimply, dark green cucumbers with a rare white fuzz. Used for harvesting, salads, eating fresh. Phoenix Plus is well resistant to powdery mildew and tobacco mosaic. The variety is high yielding; from 1 m² it is possible to collect more than 6 kg of vegetables.
Phoenix Cultivation Rules practically the same as for other types of cucumbers. Seeds are planted in open soil, or seedlings are pre-grown.
Landing is carried out at the end of May - beginning of June after the establishment of a positive average daily temperature, and excluding the threat of the May frosts. The soil must be heated to more than 15 ° C.
While the temperature at night is rather low, arcs are used on which the covering material is stretched.
Seedlings are planted in early May. It is recommended to plant in open ground after the appearance of two or three true leaves, at the end of May.
Covering material can be removed when the daytime temperature is not lower than 22 ° C, and the nighttime temperature is not lower than 16 ° C. At lower temperatures, cucumbers stop growing, so they need to be covered.
Before planting, the soil is prepared, rotted manure is brought into it, it is dug up. Cucumber loves light porous soil, but heavy clay soil prone to moisture stagnation does not. For improvement the situation in the soil is brought:
These not costly measures will help to seriously increase the yield.
The phoenix grows in the best way according to the 50x40 cm scheme, with landing in a row or staggered. Cucumber Phoenix plus will save space, so for them the scheme is used - 40x4 0 cm.
Before planting, seeds are soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. After planting, the bed is covered with plastic wrap.
Phoenix refers to the types of "planted and forgotten." Nevertheless, competent regular care will guarantee a bountiful harvest. Cucumbers are 90% water, so they simply need regular watering. It is produced as the topsoil dries out, that is, more often on dry days. Better procedure in the evening, using water that warms up during the day. This will help prevent leaf burn.
Terms and rules of landing
Seeds are planted in early May, in containers. In open ground, planting is done at the end of May - early June, maybe later, if it is a cold region. If sown in the ground immediately, it should be done in early June, when there is no threat of frost.
- Seeds or seedlings are planted 10-15cm apart.
- Between the rows leave 40-50cm.
- Seeds deepened by 1-1.5 cm.
Consider the installation of a trellis and other devices for which branches cling, and do not remain lying on the ground. So it is more convenient to harvest, and the risk of fungus is reduced.
Young sprouts are recommended to temporarily cover. Cucumber Phoenix, like other varieties, does not like drafts. When the stems are stronger and the ovary appears, the shelter can be removed.
Watering should be in moderation, the size and number of fruits depends on the amount of water entering.
Ovary signals that you need to water more often. Heat and dryness can cause deterioration in the taste of cucumbers, the appearance of bitterness.
Moisture and marshiness that can lead to fungal diseases cannot be allowed.
Stems break easily. Weeding is obligatory. If the side shoots gave two ovaries, and the shoots grew more than 30 cm in length, they are removed. This procedure is optional, you just need to timely pinch the main stem.
During the growing season are made organic and mineral fertilizer complexes:
- Before the ovary, young plants are fed with nitrogen complexes, and in the process and after - phosphorus-potassium.
- Organic fertilizers are applied to the soil, for example, slurry (1l / 10l of water).
- Do not overdo it with nitrogen fertilizers, otherwise foliage will grow abundantly, not fruits.
- Top dressing is carried out every 15 days before the appearance of the fruit.
Timely harvesting contributes to the ripening of new cucumbers. Lower, faded leaves are removed. Phoenix cucumbers are collected until late autumn.
Phoenix cucumbers require regular feeding. To her variety responds with rapid growth and fruiting. Mineral and organic fertilizers are applied.
Infusion from bird droppings, of plants or manure stimulates the formation of green mass. Mineral fertilizers promote the formation of fruits. Ready-made mineral mixtures can be used, for example, Kemira-Lux, which will prepare cucumbers for fruiting.
Thanks to these fertilizers, the plant becomes strong and resilient, and its yield increases by 30%. Также большей урожайности можно добиться путем подвязывания и формирования куста. Главный стебель можно прищепнуть, что способствует боковому ветвлению. Плоды собираются через один-два дня.
Описание болезней и вредителей
The variety is resistant to the most common diseases of cucumber - powdery mildew, downy mildew, cucumber mosaic. But the culture can hit white or root rot. Get rid of the disease can only remove the affected areas, and replacing the old soil healthy. Root rot is incurable. The fungus is caused by drought or excessive soil moisture. It is important to fasten the branches to the trellis, control the watering, loosen the soil in time, regularly inspect the crop.
Pests infect a variety rarely. But cucumbers can attack melon aphid, spider mite, sprout fly. The culture is sprayed with a solution of tobacco, or “Carbaphos” is used.
Moderately moistened soil and natural aeration - one of the measures to prevent the occurrence of pests and diseases. During the growing season, cucumbers are treated with plant infusions from flies and aphids.
Many do not know that Phoenix and Phoenix 640 are one and the same development of scientists. Name without numbers is more convenient for everyday life. In fact, almost all vegetable crops have number indicators. The name remains the same, only the numbers are different. Many gardeners call cucumbers as they once heard or read, not paying attention to digital data. But you should know that in 1993 this plant was added to the state register under the name "Phoenix", therefore, this is its correct name.
This varietal species can be called universal, as it can be used for salad, for homemade pickling, and for canning.
The fruits are strong enough, large, can reach 16 cm long. The peel is very thin in structure and juicy in taste. Cucumber Phoenix has a green color with white spikes and light stripes on the back. By weight, the ideal option for collection is approximately 150 grams. In such a weight, the diameter of vegetables is 4-5 centimeters.
In addition to the above characteristics, Phoenix cucumbers are resistant to dangerous germs and diseases. They easily tolerate frequent diseases of culture:
- cucumber mosaic virus,
- downy mildew.
According to reviews, this development is included in the group late cucumbers. The bush begins to bear fruit one and a half to two months after the appearance of the first shoots. The plant is pollinated by bees.
Soil and care requirements
To get a good harvest and tasty fruits, you must comply with a number of requirements:
- The soil for cucumbers should be rich and fertile. Land for this manure humus.
- The place for cucumbers is chosen on a brightly lit area protected from drafts.
- The bed before planting cucumbers heated. If you plant seedlings in cold soil, seedlings can get sick.
- On one square meter, under the covering material, it is recommended to place no more than 3 seedlings. In the open beds you can grow more cucumber bushes. In the same area you can plant 4 plants.
- When preparing the land, digging is carried out and fresh manure is introduced into the soil. It is also recommended to feed plants with nitrogen fertilizers. It is better to do this at the first appearance of the ovary. Two or three times during the fruiting season, mineral fertilizers are applied.
- Cucumber "Phoenix" love the warm air and sunlight. Daily rate of heat for better fruiting should be at least 22C, night temperature - 17-18C.
- Due to prolonged frosts, lowering the temperature of the air, the plant may stop developing and die. Therefore, it is necessary to protect the shoots with a covering material.
There are several rules for watering:
- He should be moderate. No need to flood the plant, otherwise the roots may rot, and the bush will dry.
- Reduce the amount of water used during weather deterioration and cold snaps.
- To water only the water which is warmed up in natural conditions or the special equipment.
During harvest, the fruit must not be torn off or torn off. They are gently twisted or cut to avoid damaging the stem of the plant.
It is also necessary form a bush, by pinching the main stem after 5-6 true leaves appear. Pustulets on the side shoots appear less frequently. Side scraps above 30 cm from the main stem are removed. Monitor also need for the amount of the ovary. After the formation of the second and third fruit, the side escape of the "Phoenix F1" is pruned.
Rules for a great harvest
Inexperienced gardeners often make a series of mistakes. To avoid them, you should listen to some tips and recommendations:
- Place cucumber seeds or seedlings only in warm land. If the soil is frozen, the seeds simply lie in the ground, lose their germination and do not germinate.
- Observe crop rotation. You can not plant cucumbers on the same plot for several seasons in a row. They are at risk of disease.
- Properly prepare the soil for planting. Add fertilizer, manure, rotted plants, dry leaves, last year's grass.
- Leave the distance between the bushes - 20-25 cm.
- Systematically and if necessary, feed the root system.
- After watering, loosen the ground around the bush.
- Collect small-sized cucumbers. Ripe and over-ripe fruits worsen the process and reduce the fruiting of the bush. The formation of new ovaries also slows down.
These cucumbers have several varieties that can be seen in the photo: "Phoenix", "F 640", "F plus" and a hybrid F1. Each species has its own distinctive features. Description of the variety can be found on the packaging.
Diseases and pests
Cucumbers are an integral part of any menu. Their juicy and aromatic taste complements salads, pickles and pickles. No feast can do without a cucumber. Therefore, gardeners in the first place planted cucumber seeds in a greenhouse or container for seedlings.
Today, there are many varieties and types of culture. Newbies get lost in such a luxurious assortment. However, experienced growers recommend domestic variety "Phoenix". Why? First things first.
Preparing seeds for planting
Before planting seeds, they should be prepared. Especially if they are collected personally or taken from a neighbor. Seed material from the manufacturer is not treated, as it has passed all stages of disinfection.
Many experienced growers simply soak the seeds in wet gauze for a few days so that they slightly hatch and quickly ascend. However, agronomists are advised to harden the seeds. For this:
- The seed is placed in a damp cloth and placed in the refrigerator for several days.
- Then take out and give a couple of days to stand, but already warm.
- After that, sowing of seeds into the soil is carried out.
To disinfect and prevent the appearance of diseases during the growing season, seeds are pickled in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Measure will avoid a lot of trouble when growing. 2-3 weeks before planting seeds, in a container for seedlings or open ground, begin to prepare the soil.
Cucumbers love fertile soil. Prepare it in advance, enriching with humus or compost. The introduction of organic matter is necessary, otherwise the plant will not have enough nutrients needed for the ovary. For every 1 sq. M. make 2-3 kg of humus or compost. It is better to mix these two components 1: 1 and apply to the soil.
Substrate for seedlings are prepared from ordinary garden soil mixed with humus.
The soil should be warm, in the cold earth the seeds will start to rot. Before planting, the soil is shed with warm, settled water. For disinfection of the substrate for seedlings using a solution of potassium permanganate or calcining the soil in the oven. It is necessary to do this procedure a month before planting seed.
For the successful cultivation of "Phoenix" should know the agronomic planting and timing of sowing seeds.
Care for cucumbers "Phoenix"
Cucumber - moisture-loving plants. But their watering should be dosed, the size of fruits and their quantity will depend on it. So before the first ovaries, moderate watering occurs as the topsoil dries. The beginning of the ovary process signals more frequent watering. Dryness and heat can degrade the taste of the fruit - they will begin to taste bitter. You can not arrange dampness and swampiness - this will lead to the appearance of fungal diseases, which is very typical for all varieties of cucumbers, they can again become bitter.
Loosening the soil is necessary, but this should be done carefully.
Culture stems are fragile, it is possible by negligence to easily break them. Weeding is a matter of course. After the fifth present leaf appears, the main stem is pinched. So go to the growth side shoots. If they have already given 2 ovaries, and shoots have grown in length more than 30 cm, then they must be removed. This procedure is optional, the main thing is to nip the main stem in time.
During the growing season, fertilizers should be applied - organic and mineral complexes:
- Young plants before the ovary are fed with nitrogen complexes, in the process of the ovary and after phosphorus-potassium.
- Organic fertilizers are applied to the soil, for example, slurry in a ratio of 1 l per 10 l of water.
- The main thing is not to overdo it with nitrogen fertilizers, otherwise there will be a growth of foliage, and not fruits.
- Feeding is carried out every 15 days until the fruits appear.
Harvest in a timely manner, it contributes to the ripening of new fruits. Lower, faded leaves are removed. Cucumber "Phoenix" harvested until late autumn.
Choosing the right variety
Consumption of cucumbers depends on their variety. Some are suitable only for salads, others can be stored for a long time or are good for processing. In order to choose the right variety, you need to understand the classification of cucumbers. They are divided into the following varieties:
- To destination - salad and pickling,
- According to the method of pollination - parthenocarpic (self-pollinating) and bee-pollinating,
- In terms of ripening - early and late.
One of the best domestic cucumber varieties is Phoenix.
Description of cucumber Phoenix
Variety refers to the universal, can be used for salads, and for pickling. The fruit is strong, large, up to 16 cm long, has an oval-cylindrical shape. The rind is thin and tender, juicy flesh. The surface is large. The fruit has a good taste, it is crisp and dense, without bitterness. Color - green, with light stripes in length. Thorns are white. The cross-section is a rounded-triangular shape. Fruit weight up to 180 g, diameter 4-5 cm. Zelentsy are suitable for pickling, pickling and for any type of processing.
The type of flowering cucumber varieties Phoenix mostly female. This is a vigorous variety, the length of the main stem reaches 3 meters. The bush is powerful, strongly branched. The leaves are green, ovary - beam.
The variety has good resistance to diseases typical for cucumbers: powdery mildew, cucumber mosaic virus No. 1, downy mildew. The yield reaches 5 kg per 1 sq. Km. m
The speed of ripening cucumber Phoenix - late. Fruiting begins 55-65 days after the appearance of the first shoots. Pollinated by bees. It grows well in open ground. Cultivation under temporary film shelters is possible. The period of fruiting is very long - until frost.
Soil, fertilizing and cucumber fertilizer
The soil for planting cucumbers should be rich in humus, without the phenomenon of water stagnation. Soil PH is not more than 7. Onions, tomatoes, potatoes can be predecessors. If the soil is strongly acidic, in the fall before planting cucumbers should be made liming.
The place for cucumbers is chosen sunny, with protection against drafts. Planting is done in the heated soil, otherwise the seedlings will be weak and unstable to diseases. On 1 square. m protected by shelter soil is placed on 3 seedlings, in open ground can be planted on the same area of 4 cucumbers.
When digging the soil before planting, you need to make organic fertilizer - manure. In addition, cucumbers should be fed with nitrogen at the appearance of the third true leaf and the formation of ovaries (2 g per square meter). Twice during the growing season, they are fed with mineral fertilizer containing nitrogen and potassium (20 g per 1 sq. M).
Features care for cucumbers
Cucumbers love warm. The daily temperature for normal growth of the plant should be at least 22 degrees, night - up to 18. When cold, the cucumber ceases to develop, and during prolonged cold it dies. Therefore, plants should be protected from overcooling using various covering materials.
When watering cucumbers Phoenix should observe the following rules:
- Before the appearance of the ovaries moderate watering.
- The total amount of water per 1 square meter is 40-50 liters for the entire growth period.
- Reduced watering during cold spells.
- Water only with warm water.
When picking fruits, it is better not to tear them off, but to cut them in order not to damage the whips and tear the roots that are closer to the soil surface. This must be remembered when periodically loosening the soil.
In order to avoid the appearance of barren flowers, you need to pinch the main stem after a 5-6 leaf appears. Lateral ovaries above 30 cm after the formation of the second ovary should also be removed.
Basic rules for growing cucumbers
Beginners often make the same mistakes when growing cucumbers. To prevent them, you should follow these rules:
- Plant seeds or seedlings only in heated soil. In cold soil, seeds do not germinate, but rot, seedlings die.
- Do not plant cucumbers in the same place for several years in a row. In this case, they are at increased risk of disease.
- Make organics before planting. This may be manure, rotted leaves, grass.
- Leave sufficient gaps between the plants, not less than 20 cm.
- Regularly produce dressing.
- The roots of cucumbers love not only water, but also air. Therefore, the plant should be often loosened, it is better with each watering.
- Collect small fruits. The appearance of at least one overripe fetus inhibits the development of the entire bush and reduces the formation of new ovaries.
Resistance to diseases and good taste of Phoenix cucumbers makes them one of the best for planting on individual sites.
There are several varieties of this variety - Phoenix, Phoenix 640, Phoenix Plus. They have their own characteristics. Depending on the specific growing conditions choose the most suitable.
See all the subtleties of growing cucumbers in the greenhouse on the video: