Yucca, Yukca (Yucca) - evergreen tree plant of the family Agavevyh. Many people unknowingly call the flower a palm tree, but it does not belong to the palm, like dracaena. In order for the plant to delight with its beauty, you need to know how the yucca flower grows, how to care for a decorative “denim tree” at home
Description of yucca, species and popular varieties
There are two groups of houseplants Yucca, including about 30 species: tree-like (with a trunk) and stemless (rosette). The leaves have a xiphoid shape, reach a length of 25-60 cm, width - 1-7 cm, gathered in a bundle, forming sockets. Depending on the grade, the leaf plates can be green, gray-gray, rigid or semi-rigid, have jagged or smooth edges (see photo).
In nature, the yukas bloom, forming a lot of bell-shaped or cupped flowers (over 300 pieces), collected in paniculate inflorescences 0.5-2 m long. .
Note. The popular name of the flower is “denim tree”. This is due to the fact that from the leaves of some varieties extract hard fiber, going to the sewing of denim products.
Depending on the variety, the plant can have one stem or form branches. There are about 30 varieties, but seven species of yucca are most popular with flower growers and gardeners.
- Aloellitic (Yucca aloifolia). Slow growing globular bush. With age, the tree stem branches out to form rosettes of rigid dark green leaf plates with a spike at the ends at the ends.
- Whipple (Yucca whipplei). Slow-growing form of spherical shape with a shortened stem and leaf plates collected in rosettes. The color of the leaves is grayish-green, at the ends is a thorny thorn, and along the edges are teeth.
- Short-leaved or treelike, giant (Yucca brevifolia). The thick stem at the end forks strongly, the leaves are short, hard, triangularly widened, brownish at the ends. The flowers are pale yellow.
- Radiant, or high (Yucca radiosa). It has tightly spaced narrow leaves about 1 cm wide, 40-55 cm long. The color of the leaf plates is green, with white edging and a large number of thin filaments.
- Filamentous (Yucca filamentosa). Almost does not have a stem. Differs in frost resistance. Gray-green, white-haired or yellowish leaves are distinguished by a pointed tip, the presence of curled thin filaments.
- Elephant (Yucca elephantipes). In adulthood, a straight-growing trunk becomes like a thick elephant foot. The ends of the branches end with rosettes of oblong-lanceolate leaves of a light green color.
- Nice (Yucca gloriosa). The tree has a spherical shape, sockets are assembled from rigid sheet plates of a curved shape. The color of the decorative foliage is bluish-green, the leaves are smooth, leathery.
Soil can be purchased in the finished form in any specialty store or cook yourself. The optimal substrate for the flower will be a mixture of peat, coarse sand and compost in the same proportions. It is also recommended to add a little turf, perlite and humus so that the pH level is in the range of 5.5-7. At the bottom of the tank it is desirable to pour fine gravel or expanded clay to provide drainage.
Note. To understand whether the soil is suitable for cultivation, it must be poured into a pot and well shed. If the water is quickly absorbed and flows through the drainage holes, everything is fine with the composition.
Pot selection rules
Capacity for growing yuki must meet a number of simple requirements.
- The pot should be picked up steady, opaque, medium size, 4-5 cm wider and deeper than the previous one.
- It is better if it is not plastic, but clay or ceramic.
- At the bottom there should be drainage holes to remove excess fluid from the soil.
Immediately after the purchase, yucca must be removed from the plastic container and planted in a suitable-sized pot with a nutrient substrate. The procedure consists of three steps.
- A layer of expanded clay or gravel is poured into the selected container, then - a little soil.
- Remove the plant from the purchased container, inspect the roots.
- Put an earthen clod in a pot, fill it with soil on the sides and top, tamped with fingers.
Temperature and lighting
For room yucca lighting plays an important role, so it is better to put the pot on the south windows. However, it is necessary to ensure that bright sunlight does not fall on the leaves, otherwise dark spots from burns will appear. The flower can be placed in the penumbra, but it is not the best effect on the decorative color.
It should not be forgotten that yucca is considered to be not only a light-requiring, but also a heat-loving plant. The temperature in the room in the summer should correspond to the mark of 20-25 degrees Celsius. In winter, the figure is reduced to 10-12 degrees Celsius, rearranging the pot in a dark place. Compliance with the rest period will allow flowering in indoor conditions.
Yuki is not too demanding for irrigation, excessive soil moisture can even harm it. Therefore, it is impossible to prevent stagnation of water on the surface of the soil, it is also necessary to take care of good drainage. However, it is not worth overdrying the soil. Usually in the summer the flower is watered once a week, in the winter - much less often, as it dries.
In the summer, it is useful to spray the plant from a spray bottle, before protecting the leaves from direct sunlight. Do not pour water into a leaf outlet, so as not to provoke decay. During the heating season spraying should be carried out at least once a day.
Air humidification and airing
Some species of the flower are sensitive to dry air, require daily spraying boiled distilled water. Another is enough to be at some distance from the batteries in the winter, placed on a pallet with wet moss, expanded clay. It is advisable to avoid drafts and sudden changes in temperature.
Note. From spring to early autumn, it is recommended to wipe leaf plates from dust with a well-wrung cloth or napkin. It is impossible to wash a plant under a shower, as well as to bear in the summer in the rain. It is better to carry out the procedure in the evening.
The flower room yucca is responsive to top dressing. Fertilizers should be applied in spring and summer (from April to August) every three weeks. You can use both purchased mineral preparations, and natural organic matter - mullein infusion, manure, humus. The best effect is given by foliar dressing.
Pruning and care after flowering
Yucca flower blooms in apartments rarely, leaving at this time consists in regular watering, spraying, dressing. Faded inflorescences are then carefully cut with scissors, so as not to disturb the decorative appearance of the plant. At other times, taking care of pruning foliage to maintain the splendor of the crown.
- Remove dried or yellowed sheet plates with scissors.
- Trim the tip of 8-10 cm.
- Handle the cut garden pitch or crushed coal.
Formative pruning is carried out only if the height of the plant has reached 50-60 cm.
Transplantation is performed as the flower grows or when problems with the root system are detected. At the same time replace the soil on a new, pick up a larger pot. Do it in the spring or early summer. Perform the following steps.
- Mix garden soil with sand and humus.
- At the bottom of the tank pour clay expanded with a height of 3-4 cm.
- Pour the soil to half a pot.
- They take out the flower without breaking the earthy ball, roll it over into a new vessel.
- Press down with your palms lump, fall asleep with soil on the sides and on top. Rammed.
- Abundantly watered. Do not fertilize for 2-3 weeks.
Note. In an adult plant, transplantation is carried out at least once every three years, replacing the topsoil with a new one every year. If rotten roots are noticed, they are cut, smeared with crushed coal, dried.
Yucca flower reproduction
There are three ways of breeding yucca:
- top handle,
- a piece of stem,
However, it is possible to take material from the mother plant if it has reached a height of at least 30 cm. Cut the cuttings from the top or part of the trunk with a blade, sprinkle with crushed coal, dry for a couple of hours. Then stuck in the wet sand, do not allow drying. When the roots are transplanted into the pot. Instead of sand, you can use water, rooting part of the plant in a jar. During reproduction by offspring, they are cut, rooted in moist sand in an upright position.
Problems growing plants with improper care
In order to prevent rotting, withering or death of the plant, it is necessary to water yucca moderately in winter, to monitor the temperature in the room. When the stem decays, parts of the roots should immediately take action to save the flower.
- Yellow spots on the leaves or their dropping is the cause of drafts, hypothermia, or natural dying off,
- dried ends of brown leaves - dry soil or dry air,
- leaf curling - low room temperature
- light spots on foliage - sunburn,
- stem rot and foliar mottling - a fungal infection.
Pests and diseases
Yucca is damaged by such pests as spider mites, scutes, powdery mealy cherets and whitefly. Basically, the cause of infection is considered abundant watering. To eliminate the problem, uku is treated with insecticides, following the instructions on the package.
From flower diseases, bacterial and fungal infections are more common, causing dark spots on the foliage. Then the black areas soften, rot, if the plant is not treated. To save the leaf plate and part of the stem is cut with a sharp knife, treated with systemic fungicide. Reduce at the time the number of irrigations, comply with other important conditions of care.
Yucca belongs to the lily family and, despite its external similarity with a palm tree, has nothing to do with it. The stem of her tree, it is topped with green or gray-gray leaves, as if collected in bunches. Depending on the species, its leaves may be smooth or covered with spines on the edges.
The palm tree blooms with large flowers of the cup-shaped form, as a rule, the flowers do not come out one by one, but gather into large inflorescences. However, it’s not a fact that you will see this spectacle - yucca flowers at home very rarely. The fruits look like a dry box and do not represent aesthetic interest, however, in some species they are edible.
Select the desired type
Although there are about 30 varieties of yucca, in the conditions of city apartments they usually grow only two - ivory and aloe leaf.
- Yucca ivory got its name because of the trunk, which resembles the leg of an eponymous animal with a wide massive base. The plant is very unpretentious to external conditions, does not require special knowledge and is ideal for living even in the most constrained conditions.
- Yucca aloelis is less common, its care requires theoretical preparation. The adult palm, growing, takes the form of a ball and has wide leathery leaves.
Both of these species of room yucca will decorate your home. Which one of them to choose is up to you, but remember that, regardless of your choice, both palm trees are unpretentious in their care and will occupy the very minimum of your time.
A new tenant has appeared in your house.
The first thing the life of a flower begins in your house is correct acclimatization, because new conditions are a stress for a plant. Experts recommend immediately after the purchase to transplant it into a new pot of larger diameter than the one in which it was sold, and completely change the soil. It is better if the new receptacle is with high walls so that you can ensure a sufficient level of drainage - at least 5 cm.
Particular attention should be paid to the ground. You can make the soil for the plant on your own or buy it in the store, in this case, give preference to mixtures for palm and dracaena. If you prefer purchased, choose a soil with a neutral acidic environment.
To prepare the soil yourself is easy. It is necessary to take one part of the humus, two parts of sand and the same sod and leafy ground. Sand is better to use coarse fraction, in order to ensure even better drainage effect.
Before you immerse a yucca in a container intended for the plant, you need to lay out the bottom with gravel or expanded clay. The stalk must be planted to a depth of no more than 3 centimeters, immersion to a greater depth threatens with the rotting of the stem and the death of the plant.
First you need to install it in the place of an apartment with sufficient illumination. It is especially important to have constant access to the light of young plants. At the same time, you must protect the plant from direct sunlight.
With the onset of the warm season, it is advisable to put a palm tree on a balcony or on an open terrace. Be sure to ensure that it is not subjected to rapid temperature changes and is not in a draft.
In winter, you can notice how the plant is bent, turning the whole body to the light source. In order to avoid the deformation of the stem, it is recommended to additionally highlight yucca from about September. By the way, it is with a lack of light in the cramped conditions of city apartments that experts associate the fact that the plant blooms extremely rarely.
The optimal choice of place to place a yucca is a floor stand, so that it is approximately flush with the window sill. Be sure to ensure that it does not overheat due to the effect of a central heating radiator. Installing a pot with a plant on the floor is not recommended due to insufficient light, as well as close to the window glass due to the possibility of hypothermia.
For normal life it is necessary to ensure the humidity of the apartment microclimate at the level of at least 40%. If your apartment has dry air, it is recommended to further moisten it around the plant with a spray bottle, spray the plant a couple of times a day, especially in the winter.
About once a month it is recommended to transfer the yucca to the bathroom and arrange her shower to wash away the pollution from the leaves.
In its usual homeland, the palm tree exists in a subtropical and temperate climate. The temperature in summer should not exceed 26 degrees, in winter - 20 degrees. Above all, try to avoid sudden changes in temperature, for example, open windows at night to ventilate the windows, because this can lead to the death of the plant in a short time.
If you want to have a palm tree and do not dare, know that the yucca palm tree care at home requires minimal, even a novice in plant growing will cope with it without any problems.
Peculiarities of irrigation depend primarily on the season. The palm tree is fairly resistant to the arid climate, therefore the size of the pot and the palm itself, as well as its age, should influence the intensity of irrigation. For example, a small palm tree that you just brought home needs to be moistened every day, but gradually, and an adult plant in a floor tub needs watering every two to three weeks.
To calculate the optimal amount of water that needs to moisten the soil, you need to know the approximate amount of soil in the pot. Calculate by the formula: one liter of water for every four liters of soil.
In the summer period from May to September, with an average daily temperature of 22 degrees, water should be watered about once a week, the colder it gets, the less often it needs watering. If the indoor temperature stopped at 18 degrees, you only need to moisten the soil a little more often than once a month.
Pay attention to the condition of the top layer of soil in the pot. It must be dry before watering. With the help of a wooden stick stuck in a pot, you will be able to estimate the moisture content of the earth and lower, in the interval between watering, it should dry out half or even two-thirds of the total height.
It is important to know some of the features of watering and always pay attention to them.
- Do not allow water to stagnate in the pot pallet, where it can drain during the watering process. Always empty the pan, otherwise the roots may rot from excess moisture and the plant will die.
- If the top layer of soil remains wet for several days after watering, it means that it has hardened strongly, and water does not penetrate into the pot. It is necessary to loosen the soil with the help of an improvised tool, for example, the wooden stick mentioned above.
- Pay attention to the state of the soil during periods when the apartment is changing humidity levels. At this time, it dries much slower, keeping the usual mode of watering, you risk ruining the roots of the plant.
Palma does not need any special feeding. Fertilizers are applied from April to August, it is best to use for this purpose a special liquid product that is sold specifically for nutrition of palms and dracenas. In winter, the plant does not need feed.
Remember that immediately after purchase or after transplantation, the plant does not need to be fed, as you need to give it time to recover and not expose it to additional stress. Если при пересадке вы воспользовались специальной сбалансированной почвой для пальмы, то примерно в течение года юкка не нуждается в дополнительном питании.
Видео «Как ухаживать за домашней пальмой юккой»
Юкка, как любое другое растение, помимо ухода требует пересадку. It is recommended that this procedure be performed no more than once every two years, each time replacing the pot with a larger pot, and making partial replacement of the soil. There are no special restrictions on the transplant time, but the spring months are considered the best.
When removing the plant from the pot, try not to injure the roots, otherwise the palm tree will be sick for a long time after transplantation, and the adaptation process will take a long time, if at all, it survives.
Before transplanting a yucca, at least 5 centimeters of drainage should be laid out on the bottom of the new pot. If it seems to you that the soil has not lost its nutritional properties, transplantation of palm trees should be carried out by transferring the earthy coma with the roots to a new pot. The space between the lump and the walls of the pot is filled with new suitable earth. It is better if this is the same soil mixture that you used during the previous transplantation, in which case the stress time will be reduced.
Palm cut with a view to rejuvenate the plant and give it a beautiful shape. In case the yucca is strongly drawn up, it is also cut off.
The procedure is best carried out in the spring when the plant stops growing. Before you trim a yucca room tool you need to be sanitized with alcohol.
The cut should be brought to the end, and not to break off the branches with leaves, so as not to hurt the growth points. Slices need to be treated with crushed coal to prevent the process of decay. After the operation, the plant is returned to its habitat and provides for watering in accordance with the existing climate conditions. The cut parts of the plant are not discarded, but used for reproduction.
Video "Reproduction of Yucca"
The main indicator that indicates that the plant is not all right, are the leaves. Any change in their color and shape should alert you. Yucca tolerates disease quite easily, it is only important to know their symptoms, so as not to start the defeat.
- If you notice that the leaves of yucca suddenly become covered with large brown spots, this is evidence that a fungus has settled on them, caused by overmoistening of the soil or air. Sick leaves must be removed so that the fungus does not spread. After that, you immediately need to change the place of residence of the plant, moving it to the drier part of the apartment, and stop spraying the air around it.
- A more serious form of fungal infection is rotting of the stem. This is again due to waterlogging and lack of fresh air. After taking the measures described in the previous paragraph, the partially diseased plant can still be saved by cleaning the purulent parts of the stem. If the process of rotting could not be stopped, the palm tree should be disposed of with the pot so that the disease does not spread to other domestic plants.
As you already understood, yucca is not distinguished by a particular capriciousness, it is extremely unpretentious and with the right care it is practically not susceptible to diseases.
The pests affecting the plant are also typical of the majority of household plant tenants: false guard, spider mite and aphid - that’s all the parasites who love to settle on a palm tree.
- You will not confuse a plant affected by false shielding. It looks like it wilted without watering, the leaves wither and fall, and without treatment, the yucca can die. In stores that specialize in home plants, you can easily find a tool called Actellic that will help get rid of this scourge.
- The symptoms of tick infestation are similar, as well as the treatment; besides, it is necessary to increase the level of moisture content of the air, as the tick is turned on only in rooms with a dry climate.
- It is difficult to fight with aphids, therefore insecticides are used. Together with them, you can wipe the leaves of the plant with a solution with the addition of ordinary soap.
Diseases and parasites appear only on those plants that are improperly cared for. By creating a good climate and providing watering in the right measure, you will protect your plant from harm.
Yucca and family environment
Experts in one voice say that yucca can be kept in almost any family, its leaves are not poisonous and do not cause allergies, however, it is still not advisable to keep it in the bedroom.
The plant requires moderate moisture and constant temperature, and it will benefit the rest of the inhabitants of the apartment. You will never forget to maintain a healthy microclimate in the apartment, and if it ceases to be healthy, a palm tree will tell you about it with its appearance, so that you can take action in time.
Now you know how home plant - yucca is a godsend. To keep it at home is a pleasure, in addition to all the advantages described in the article, such as simplicity and minimal care required, it also looks very beautiful and spectacular and is part of the interior of the apartment.
Specialists-esoteric recommend keeping it in places where there are strangers, because they believe that the plant will help protect the owners of the apartment from the evil eye and negative emotions.
Lighting and location
Under natural conditions, the plant grows predominantly in conditions of low humidity and good light. Therefore, in the home it is necessary to provide her with similar conditions. Room yucca will feel good and have a luxurious look only in a well-lit place. While she is still small, she can be put on the windowsill, protected from direct sunlight. When the yucca grows up, you can put it at the window that gives the maximum amount of light. The plant reacts rather painfully to insufficient light - the leaves are drawn out and become frail. Be sure to provide yucca fresh air. But at the same time protect from drafts. In the summer it is advisable to bring it to fresh air (balcony, garden, etc.).
In the warm season, the temperature for yucca is not particularly critical. Room temperature for her is quite acceptable. She too will transfer a heat easily. In winter, although yucca does not have a pronounced rest period, a moderate temperature is desirable (+15 - 18 degrees). During this period, it is able to transfer a lower temperature. The lower limit for room yucca in winter is +8 degrees.
Watering, air humidity, fertilizer
Watering yucca must be very careful, especially in winter! It will easily endure a lack of moisture and a brief re-drying of the earth, and may even die from waterlogging. Irrigation mode mainly depends on the season and air temperature. In the summer and in conditions of high air temperature, water yucca plentifully, but only after the top layer of earth in the pot dries. With the beginning of autumn, watering is gradually reduced. When kept in cool conditions, it is recommended to water a room yucca only after at least half of the soil has dried out.
Dry air does not cause Yukka particular inconvenience. Therefore, spraying or other methods of humidifying the air is not necessary. An exception can be only the winter period, if the plant is in the immediate vicinity of the heater. In this case, you can moisten the leaves with warm water once a day.
During the period of active growth (from April to August), yucca is desirable to pokarmlivat. Often it is enough once a month to make a complex or specialized fertilizer for decorative and deciduous indoor plants.
Room Yucca Transplant
Adult home Yucca is a large, monumental plant, comparable to a ficus, dieffenbachia or monster. Consequently, her transplant is a considerable difficulty. In this case, you can simply replace the top layer of the soil with fresh one every year. But while she is still young and her transplant is not difficult, it is desirable to replant the yucca at intervals of once every two years. As it grows, the size and volume of the pot gradually increases. Earthen mix for yucca should pass water and air well, but at the same time be sufficiently nutritious. It is composed of leaf and sod land (in two parts) with the addition of humus and sand (in one part). Good drainage is a must.
Reproduction room Yucca
The easiest way to reproduce this plant - the tip. This method of breeding yucca practically does not differ from breeding dracaena and is most effective in comparison with other methods of reproduction. The cut off tip can be rooted in pearlite, vermiculite, or coarse sand. Not bad stalk gives roots and in a container of water (like a monstera).
Also used the method of reproduction - fragments of the stem, if they have dormant buds.
If you do not have a mother plant, then you can try to grow a room yucca from seed. If they are of sufficient quality and fresh, then we can expect good germination. The technology of seed germination is quite simple:
- preparing a mixture of turf land with sand in equal proportions,
- Yucca seeds are slightly buried in the ground (about two diameters of sunflower seeds),
- the container with the planted seeds is covered with a cap or just a piece of glass or PE film,
- the container is placed in a warm (about +25 - 30 degrees) and bright place (not in the sun!),
- further as when sprouting seeds for seedlings - wetting the earth, airing,
- In about a month, shoots should appear.
I advise you to watch an interesting video about yukka from professionals
Yucca (lat. Yucca) - perennial trees come from the subtropical zone of North America, belong to the family of agave and have up to forty species. In the homeland of yucca (Yucca), it is used in various fields. From cut flowers yucca get juice with high sugar content.
- From yucca filament get very strong fibers, from which they made the first jeans, even before the use of cotton.
- Although in the USA to this day yucca fibers are added to jeans, which makes them more durable and resistant to wear.
- In addition, paper and rope cords are made from yucca fibers, and in addition it is used for medicinal purposes.
Yucca - This is an evergreen plant with a low stem, which either does not branch at all, or branches only slightly. In some species, the stem is almost invisible, and immediately above the ground there are large beautiful leaves, arranged in a spiral.
The inflorescences are erect, large, up to 2 m in length, coming out from the center of the rosette of leaves and look like panicles. Drooping flowers (up to 7 cm in length) are bell shaped, color is white. The 10-centimeter fruit is a box of black seeds (up to 1 cm in diameter).
In room conditions, yucca is best placed in spacious rooms or a hall, as it grows up to 4 m in height. Externally, yucca looks like a false palm tree.
The homemade yucca will bloom with white flowers resembling bells, but this will not happen soon, because flowering is possible only in adult specimens.
Indoor yucca is very often used for interior decoration, and specimens with several points of growth are of particular value - in which the trunk branches.
During the growing season (from March to September), a comfortable temperature for yucca is 20-24 degrees. In hotter conditions, increased air humidity is required (spraying, placing on a pallet with moist expanded clay). The higher the air temperature, the higher should be its humidity..
- The problem with caring for yucca at home is the need to keep the plant cool during the winter period (from October to February), the temperature is 8-10 degrees Celsius.
- It is good if there is a suitable room in the house, for example, a heated loggia, where you can place a yucca at this time.
- If not, place the pot on the windowsill, moving it closer to the glass, and periodically open the window, and if the design of the windows allows, open the doors for winter ventilation.
It should be remembered that the sudden changes in temperature and drafts yucca endures painfully and sometimes it dies.
How to water a yucca?
The answer to this question is given by the yucca itself. The size and age of the plant, the type of pot and soil, and the time of year influence the frequency and volume of watering.
On average, you need to water the flower once a week. Irrigation indicators are leaves and soil. Arcuate leaves bent down indicate that watering the plant is not required.
The leaves begin to curl into a straw around the center line, and the ground becomes 5-7 cm dry - the yucca needs to be watered. Timely watering can be abundant, but water should be completely absorbed and not flow into the pan.
- If in the winter in the room the air is too dry or the plant was carried out in the summer to the open air, then it can be sprayed in about a day.
- A flower drinks water with leaves and drops of moisture imitate dew and natural habitat for it. In any case, sensitive leaves occasionally need to be gently wiped, cleansing from dust.
- Water the plant only with separated water at room temperature.
Avoid excess moisture in the soil. Increased soil moisture can lead to disease in the form of grayish-brown spots on the leaves. Sick leaves will have to be removed and the flower itself sprinkled with a fungicide.
Yucca does not require spraying the leaves, but sometimes it is necessary to arrange washing, so that the plant does not become dusty and does not lose its attractiveness. In the summer, there is enough rain shower. If in winter a yucca is kept in a room with central heating, it is advisable to spray at least once a day.
- When spraying a yucca in the sun, sunburn spots may appear on its leaves.
- For better decoration, the plant should be washed from time to time under a shower or under a stream of water, making sure that water does not fall on the substrate (for example, close the pot with polyethylene).
- The most common types of yucca in indoor floriculture - Yucca elephant (Yucca elephantipes) and Yucca aloifolia (Yucca aloifolia) - do not require spraying.
- Yukka does not require too much water. In the summer, yucca can be watered only once a week.
In winter, the number of irrigations can be reduced to once every 10 days. In general, the basic rules for watering are as follows: From spring to autumn, the soil is constantly kept in a moderately wet state, it is better to dry the plant a little than to pour it.
In winter, the ground should be moistened from time to time, depending on the temperature. The frequency of yucca irrigation depends on many factors: the size and material of the pot, the size of the plant, the characteristics of the substrate, the temperature and humidity of the air.
In warm season, the yucca is plentifully watered - but only after the topsoil dries to a depth of about 5 cm. In the hot summer, the yucca is watered more often, but do not forget that between the irrigations the ground in the pot should dry out. Yucca at home should be kept in the nutrient mixture. At the same time at the bottom of the pot should be poured a thick layer of drainage.
Top dressing: once every 2-3 weeks in spring and summer, with an interval of two to three weeks with a diluted solution of mineral fertilizers. This plant responds well to fertilizing with infusion of mullein, horse manure, and leaf humus. The best results are given by foliar top dressing (with a solution of mineral fertilizer they spray leaves on the bottom side).
- You can not feed the plant immediately after transplantation, as well as if the yucca is sick.
- In general, it should be noted that fertilizing is required only from May to September, that is, during a period of rapid growth of the plant.
But in winter, the plant should not only be left alone, but also carried it to a cooler room. The optimum temperature for wintering the plant will be 10 ° C.
A transplant of a houseplant takes place once every two years. When a plant has more than one stem, you need to seat. And perform this manipulation in this way:
- The trunk is divided into several parts along with the root.
- All places slices sprinkled with powdered activated charcoal or covered with garden pitch.
- Each sprout that results from division is planted in a separate pot.
Transplant room yucca, you can at any time of the year. But the best time will be spring. To transplant the plant must be prepared. To begin, cut a third of the leaf cover, and immerse the root for a couple of hours in warm water.
Be sure to ensure that the root system is not damaged during transplantation. Yucca loves vitamin supplements, they are brought directly into the new soil.
Important. If you follow all the rules of care and landing, a luxurious beauty grows from a small yucca, which will become the most beautiful decoration of your home.
AFTER THE PURCHASE
When buying plants, it is transplanted within two days. New vase for yucca choose a few inches more than the old one.
- The best pots for a plant are considered to be clay or ceramic pots, due to their natural origin and a drainage hole of a suitable size.
- Although containers made of plastic, are also successfully used, having previously made an additional hole in them to waste excess water.
- This type of container is more affordable, and in use is not worse than clay.
- When the pot is selected, proceed to planting.
- Drainage is poured at the bottom of the tank, in the form of small gravel or red brick, broken into pieces.
- Then, on top of the drainage, the prepared soil is poured.
- It is purchased in a specialty store or prepared personally. Главное чтобы присутствовал песок.
Из старого горшка, осторожно вынимают юкку. Земляной ком, присутствующий на корне, убирать нельзя. Растение ставят в новый горшок и засыпают по бокам субстратом, уплотняя его лопаткой. Посаженное растение, обильно поливают водой.
Далее горшок с юккой, переносят в темное место. И соблюдают температурный режим +25°С. На протяжении недели, юкку опрыскивают по три раза в день водой. After a week of adaptation, the flower is chosen sunny corner in the room, and rearranged it already for permanent residence.
For compliance with all conditions, yucca will thank the owner of luxurious beauty. And it will delight for many years.
Every time it is time to transplant a yucca, you should follow one rule when choosing a pot. Old capacity fits in new capacity. And in order not to lose the size, the ideal distance between the pots in diameter is no more than three centimeters.
Yucca grows slowly. And if you choose a pot for more, then the growth of the plant will stop for a long period, until the root system is compacted. First and foremost, the crown will suffer. After all, all the nutrients the root will take for growth.
Transplant of yucca in the fall
As described above, the room yucca can be transplanted at any time of the year. But it is better not to engage in transplanting in the autumn, but to give the opportunity to prepare the plant for a rest period.
After landing in the new pot, will not give a full sleep yucca, and force to throw all the forces for rooting in the new place of residence. This will lead to flower disease.
Yucca transplantation, engaged since February. The main thing is to adhere to strict rules, so that yucca pleases with its beauty, not diseases.
As for garden plants. Such specimens are planted only in the spring in order to take root well and get used to the new conditions.
Autumn yucca can not be planted. By frost, she does not have time to grow the root, and may die in the cold. And even a good insulation will not save her. The main thing for yucca is to observe the period of its unhurried adaptation to new conditions.
Transplanting Yucca Gardening
Garden yucca, after the acquisition immediately planted in a flower bed. The plot is chosen with good lighting and protected from drafts. Planted early in the morning or in the evening, after sunset.
Dig a hole 60 cm deep and 80 cm wide for a young plant. Deepening is done more by 10 cm. If the plant is an adult. Soil for landing, prepares in advance, it will require:
All components are mixed in equal parts and moistened. Part of the substrate is poured into the prepared pit, where the yucca is placed and the rest of the soil is poured in from above, compacting it with a shovel. Next, a small hole is made around the plant. Poured warm water is poured into it. In the first week, after planting, the plant is sprayed daily.
Basically, garden yucca does not bloom in our latitudes. But sometimes there are exceptions. In the first year, the plant will not give flowers, this period, the yucca gets used to the new conditions. Ready to bloom, the plant becomes the third year.
Care for Yucca in winter
Caring for yucca in winter is significantly different from summer care. Yucca belongs to the light-loving plants and in winter, in low light, it can lose lower leaves.
So in the winter, you need to choose the most lighted place in the apartment. Caring for yucca in winter is significantly different from summer care.
- Watering the plant is necessary only when pouring the top layer of soil in a pot, but you should remember that the yucca does not like excessive watering.
- The presence of excessive moisture in the pot is completely detrimental to its root system.
- Often, excessive watering leads to rotting of the root system and the death of the whole plant.
- Watering should be done only around the circumference of the pot, also when watering water should be avoided in the outlet and between the trunks of the plant, as this can also lead to rotting of the trunks.
In winter, the yucca does not need additional spraying and the dryness of the air is not detrimental to it, although spraying by itself does not cause any harm to the plant.
But spraying the plant in direct sunlight is extremely undesirable, it can lead to burns on the leaves of the plant, and during spraying it is necessary to ensure that water does not get into the rosette of the plant, it can lead to its decay and death.
Why multiply the flower of yucca? Often in order to get a new copy of this beautiful plant or give it to someone.
It is also possible to propagate ivory yucca, for example, in order to plant several plants of different sizes in one pot, so that they create a very effective composition in the form of several tiers of lush greenery.
It should be remembered that the ground for the young yucca rooted in one of the methods described below can be composed independently of: leaf ground (2 parts), turf ground (2 parts), humus (1 part), sand (2 parts). You can also buy ready-made soil in the store.
It is important to provide the plant with good drainage at the bottom of the growing tank, and also to remember to add up to 30% of coarse sand to the substrate. Experienced growers recommend breeding yucca by one of the following methods: by suckling, rooting the top, stem cuttings, seeds, air layering.
Reproduction by offspring
With proper care, a yucca can have babies in the first year of life. It is even useful to separate the root or stem shoots from the false palm - for normal growth and development it is necessary to ensure that there are no more than five shoots on the plant at a time.
The rooting of the children is as follows: it is advisable to sprinkle the pounded charcoal on the parent tree and on the offspring; not less than 20 ° C.
It is very important to air the “greenhouse” daily and water the plant as needed, the formation of roots will occur in a period of about two months when the yucca has taken root, you need to transplant it into a permanent pot with good soil and pieces of charcoal in it.
Breeding rooting tops
Yucca does not like branching very much and therefore grows most often with a single trunk. An adult plant that is well rooted, at least 30 cm high can be made to branch. To do this, follow these steps.
In spring or early summer, it is necessary to cut off the tip of a yucca with a length of 5 to 10 cm with a sharp and clean knife or blade. It is best for a plant to do this during the growth of the moon. It is important to leave as many leaves as possible on the trunk of a yucca growing in a pot.
All cuts must be powdered with charcoal powder. Apical stalk should be held for two hours in the air to cut a little dried. Then you need to plant the stalk in the wet sand or place it in cool boiled water.
- So that the cutting does not rot, you can add a little charcoal to the water.
- If the lower leaves of the stalk are rotted, an unpleasant smell will spread.
- These leaves must be removed, and the water must be replaced with fresh ones.
- It is very important that the stem of the cutting does not start to rot, therefore, when rooting in the ground, it is necessary to water it very moderately.
When the cuttings grow roots, you can plant it for permanent residence. In a plant with a cut off tip, new shoots will grow from the awakened buds. Useful information about croton flower breeding will help make this process fun and effective. Unpretentious fern can be propagated vegetatively and spores.
Propagation by stem cuttings
Yucca can be propagated by cuttings that are taken from a part of the trunk, cut from a healthy plant with a bare stem. Next, you need to perform the following manipulations: A segment of the trunk of a yucca must be placed horizontally on the surface of wet sand or loose soil in a pot.
The shank does not need to sprinkle with earth, you should only gently push it into the ground. After some time, the sleeping buds of the trunk become more active and release new shoots, simultaneously growing roots. Next, the trunk must be removed from the sand, split it with a sharp and clean knife into pieces according to the number of shoots and sprinkle the cuts with crushed charcoal.
For some time you need to leave the shoots in the air to dry them a little. Then each shoot must be planted in a separate container with the ground. You can also purchase a piece of yucca trunk at a flower shop.
To determine the top and bottom, as a rule, the top of the handle is filled with wax, which must be removed after planting.
- Such cuttings root very easily and quickly as follows: to begin with, the stem segment must be placed at the bottom end into a growth stimulator solution for two or three days, “Heteroauxin” is perfect for this,
- then you need to plant the stalk with the lower end into the ground, lowering it to a depth of 3 to 5 cm,
- the ground in a pot with rooting yucca should always be wet, but not wet, after the appearance of the first leaves, watering should be reduced, then the yucca should be watered as the earthen clod dries.
If a stalk purchased in a flower shop is not marked with wax, it must be rooted according to the scheme described above, positioning it horizontally on the ground and then separating the resulting shoots.
In room conditions, yucca, as a rule, does not bloom. For the formation of flower buds, the plant needs a long cold wintering outdoors. However, if the florist is still lucky enough to get seeds from a flowering plant or to purchase it at a flower shop, you can grow a yucca from them according to the following scheme.
- It is very important to make sure that the seeds are fresh.
- You need to soak them in warm water for a day.
- Next, you need to prepare the substrate of the following components: 1 part leafy ground, 1 part sod land, 1 part coarse sand.
- Capacity with seedlings should be covered with glass or plastic bag to create optimal conditions for germination - humidity and heat.
- Every day, you need to air the seedlings and wipe the glass with a dry cloth. A month after sowing, you can wait for the emergence of the first shoots.
Reproduction by air layouts
In the case of rotting of the roots of an adult and high room yucca, in the presence of healthy bright and hard areas, it is possible to grow new roots for it and propagate it in the following way:
- On the healthy part of the plant, 10 cm above the rotted part and not less than 60 cm below the top, it is necessary to remove the bark around the trunk with a strip 0.5 cm wide.
- Place the cut and the area a little higher you need to overlaid with wet moss-sphagnum and tie polyethylene on top.
- It is necessary to regularly moisten the moss from the sprayer.
- After two or three weeks, new roots will appear above the point where the cortex is cut.
The next two weeks, you need to continue to grow the roots in the same conditions, constantly moistening sphagnum. Next, you need to cut off the tip of the yucca with new roots slightly below the place of removal of the bark.
Then you need to sprinkle with a cut of charcoal, dry it a little and plant the cutting in a pot with fresh soil mixed with sand. As you can see, breeding yucca is not difficult and even fascinating.
Caring growers who will spare no time and some effort can get a healthy and beautiful yucca and even create spectacular compositions that will delight the eye and elevate your mood.
Pruning and the formation of a magnificent tree
Yucca is pruned before active growth begins at the end of winter - at the beginning of spring. It is worth remembering that after this procedure, the stem of the plant suspends its growth. Therefore, it is advisable to trim the flower when its trunk is at least five centimeters thick.
- For this procedure, use a sharp knife, previously disinfected in alcohol. The cut is made as high as possible from the surface of the earth.
- In order not to damage the points of growth, the top of the leaves should be cut along the entire diameter of the stem, without breaking off. The cut is treated with pounded activated carbon to avoid the problem of rotting of the trunk.
- Pruned plants are exposed to a place well lit by the sun and provide for system watering. Leafless plants should be watered less often - 2 times a week.
Approximately in 3-4 weeks dormant buds will begin to wake up near the cut. They can be from 2 to 5 pieces. The flower will actively increase the thickness of the new trunks.
On plants whose trunk is not thicker than five centimeters, it is recommended to leave two buds. If the thickness of the trunk is larger, five buds are left.
The cut tip can be rooted in containers with a wet substrate. Thus, you can get another plant.
What is yucca
Yucca is a genus of evergreens, belongs to the Agave family, grows in North and Central America. Xiphoid rigid leaves of different yucca can grow up to 100 cm long, up to 8 cm wide, they form a rosette or are often collected by a beam. Based on the species, the leaf of the plant may be gray or green, semi-rigid, erect, with smooth or jagged edges. Often the plant is covered with threads, sometimes there are sharp thorns on the tips of the leaves.
The yucca palm during flowering throws out large flower stalks, where many delicate fragrant bells of light shades appear. As a rule, the inflorescences are collected in one large panicle 2.5 m long. At home, the palm tree blooms rarely. The fruit is a dry or succulent box. Fiber is extracted from the leaves of some plant species, which is used to make woven products.
The yucca flower is well suited for decorating home gardens, apartments, used for the manufacture of medicinal and cosmetic preparations. At home more than 30 species of palm trees will grow, often the size of the plant exceeds the trees of temperate climate in Russia. European flower growers grow and propagate three ornamental species that perfectly adapt to home conditions and have optimal dimensions for the room. The most popular varieties are:
- Elephantis or ivory (Yucca elephantipe). The name of the plant was due to the thick original legs. The leaves are on top of it, and the trunk gradually grows bare as it grows. In summer, the tree is decorated with white flowers, which look like bells.
- Filamentous (Yucca filamentosa). The plant can withstand up to 20 degrees of frost. Xiphoid leaves with bright white threads, bent at the top, can be up to 60 cm in length. The flower of the filamentous variety has delicate bells up to 7 cm long.
- Aloelic (Yucca aloifolia). Palm grows slowly, with time begins to take the form of a ball. Adult plants have a well-branched stem that is well branched, and at the ends of the branches there are sealed rosettes of fleshy green leaves.
- Sizaya (Yucca glauca). The trunk of this flower is short, the leaves are elongated and thin, bright at the edges. Bells have a yellowish or pale greenish color. The gray yucca grows normally in air, it withstands drought and moderate frost well. Leaves can reach 90 cm.
How to care for yucca at home
Palma should grow at home on the south window, although if the other windows are well lit, you can place the flower next to them. Yucca houseplant grows well in a bright warm room. The young sprout needs light, but it is better to shade it a little from direct sunlight. In the process of growing can be used and artificial lighting.
In summer and spring, the palm tree prefers a moderate temperature of about 20–25 ° C. In winter and autumn - within 8 or 12 ° С. To improve the appearance of the flower sometimes wash in the shower. In summer, the tree can be placed on the balcony, but it must be well protected from precipitation. When placing the flower in the open air, the place should be dry and bright. In winter, the palm tree needs bright light.
How to water
The plant itself will tell you when you need to water it. With normal soil moisture and good conditions, the leaves of the flower straightened. In a drought, they begin to twist painfully. When caring at home, the palm tree is watered at such intervals that the soil dries up to half the capacity. As a rule, the frequency of watering depends on the size of the flower, soil characteristics, material and size of the pot, humidity and air temperature.
How to water a yucca at home in the summer? In hot summer, sometimes palm trees need a lot of liquid, which is why abundant watering with warm water is important, but water the flower only after the topsoil dries. In winter, it is necessary to reduce watering, otherwise the roots will rot. Types of yucca, which are sensitive to dry air, must be constantly sprayed with warm water. To increase the humidity, a pot with a flower should be placed on a tray with gravel, moss, wet clay. When spraying the plant in the sun, the leaves can become stained with burns.
How to sit down
Garden species growing in the open ground can be in one place for about 20 years, but the room varieties are replanted once every two years. With constant feeding, flower growth increases significantly. Young formed outlets can be seated, but this should be done only when they grow up and get stronger. There are certain rules on how to seed a yucca:
- transplanting should be done in summer or spring,
- choose a planter that is three centimeters larger than the diameter of the roots,
- fill the bottom of the tank with a drainage of fine gravel, broken brick, expanded clay (the earth mixture should be of medium grain size),
- gently reach the flower, trying not to damage the root system,
- если необходимо, хорошо полейте землю для размягчения,
- перед посадкой корни замочите на час водой, а после поместите в новый грунт и полейте,
- на протяжении двух недель обязательно подкормите растение.
Как пересадить в другой горшок
Пальму в домашних условиях необходимо пересаживать в новый горшок каждые два года. Емкость следует выбирать устойчивую и просторную, т.к. растение имеет тяжелую листовую массу. Drainage should be up to 7 cm (approximately one third of the entire soil). For more weight, you can use gravel, and charcoal should be added to the ground. Replant the flower in spring and summer should be as follows:
- need to take a deep steady pot,
- put a layer of gravel or expanded clay on the bottom,
- then some soil is filled up,
- if the plant is healthy, it can simply be transferred from an old pot along with an earthy lump,
- if there is rot on the roots, you will first have to remove it and cover it with crushed coal,
- when the plant is in a new pot, you need to add soil, tamp and pour water.
Trimming yucca at home
With a single stem of an extended flower, you can trim at any selected height. The diameter of the trunk must be at least 6 centimeters. After cutting, the plant stops growing, and the awakening of new buds is stimulated. If the flower has several trunks at once, the shoots must be cut with a height difference of 15 cm. A lush multilevel crown should turn out, and the leaves will not overshadow each other. Sections should be sprinkled with sulfur or charcoal.
How to propagate yucca at home
The flower in the homeland is bred by seeds, in our zone there are no such insects that could pollinate the tender bells of yucca. Breeders use several available methods of reproduction of palm trees, which can be easily implemented at home. For this procedure, you will need an adult plant with healthy vegetative organs or offspring. Yucca breeding at home is carried out in the following ways:
- With the top of a palm tree. To achieve the branching of the crown, it is possible by cutting the plant up to 10 cm in length. Cuts should be covered with coal, dried, and the resulting layer should be planted in water. The rotted leaflets should be removed, to prevent the spread of bacteria, you must add charcoal. After the appearance of small roots, the flower is transplanted into the ground.
- Cuttings. Apply layering, cut off from the parent bush. You should choose the roots with a developed system. For yucca, reproduction in this way is easy, care for seedlings does not require much strength.
- Cut off. The lower end of the stem must be soaked for a couple of days in a special stimulator of root formation, then it must be planted in light soil. A thick section of the flower can be put in the sand horizontally, half deep into the substrate. When sprouts arise, they must be separated and rooted.
- Seeds. To plant a palm tree in this way is very convenient. Sow soaked fresh seeds should be in a mixture of turf soil, earth, sand (1: 1: 1). Wet soil should be covered with a container or glass. Shoots should appear in a month.
When transplanting a flower outside, it is important not to burn the leaves of the plant under the sun. The purchased seedling must be subjected to hardening, taking it out every day to the open air. You can not plant a plant near groundwater. For garden yucca, avoid troughs and dark areas. The flower should ideally sit on a high place. Holes need to dig in advance in the autumn, making holes slightly larger than the diameter of the roots. It is best to apply the soil for planting, which includes turf, compost, perlite, sand or humus.
The flower is able to grow in any land, it is important that the roots have access to air. After falling asleep with soil, it is necessary to tamp carefully with it so that there is no extra space left. Next, you need to pour warm water. For yucca ideal nutrient loose soil with a pH level of 5.5-6.5. It is best to put a small amount of charcoal in the chosen land, and broken bricks or river stones should be placed on the bottom of the hole.
The above-ground part of the palm tree is developed more strongly than the root system, therefore, in order to give the flower stability, it should be planted in a large pot, pot or tub. New capacity for the plant must necessarily be more than 4 cm than the diameter of the roots. At the same time the depth of the pot, choose 2 times the internal diameter. The pot is needed strong to withstand carrying and not deformed during filling with soil. Instructions for transferring yucca to the pot:
- prepare a soil mixture, a new container and make a drainage layer,
- the day before transplanting a flower you need to water it abundantly,
- cut all dry leaves,
- gently turn over the old pot and gradually get an earthen clod with a flower so as not to harm the roots,
- Pour the soil over the drainage layer to the point where the base of the yucca is 2 cm below the edge of the tank,
- put an earthen ball with a flower in a new pot,
- gradually fill up the soil and periodically compact it.
How to root
The cut top of the palm tree can be easily rooted, and the remaining trunk will grow new shoots over time. In the resulting cutting, dry the cut (put it in the air for 2 hours), then to root, plant the top in wet sand or put it in a bucket with warm water. Put a piece of charcoal in advance. When rooting on the handle, the leaves may rot, they need to be removed and the water changed. After the roots appear, the palm stalk is planted in the substrate.
How to plant a yucca without roots
Palm can be grown almost from a stick. To do this, cut off a part of a healthy bare trunk and horizontally put it in a pot on the surface of a light substrate or wet sand. Slightly press the barrel for better contact. After a few days, the buds should wake up on it, from which young sprouts with roots will gradually begin to form. Next, remove the stem with shoots from the tank, cut it into pieces according to the number of shoots, sprinkle the slices with coal and dry in air. Each part of the trunk of a palm tree with its roots can be planted in an individual pot.
Palma, which receives good care, rarely gets sick. Only with improper handling can a bacterial burn, rotting of the trunk or leaves. Sometimes the plant turns yellow, but it can be a natural process of development and growth of the palm tree, during which the disposal of excess leaves is carried out. If the flower has yellow spots of elliptical shape, which gradually become brown - this indicates the presence of brown spot.
In winter, the death of a flower is often caused by abundant watering or very low temperature. As a result of the huge amount of moisture on the flower, pests can start: thrips, scale insects, spider mites, aphids or caterpillars. If the plant is already affected, it is necessary to remove the cause of weakening and treat the flower with insecticides, strictly following the instructions. Often, owners of evergreen beauty have questions about combating various diseases, but before treatment, all existing diseases of yucca should be examined:
- Fusarium fungus rot. During the disease, the crown is affected, the leaves are prone to rot. At the initial stage of the disease, you need to remove the diseased parts of the tree and spray it with a solution of the fungicide.
- Cercospora Oval brown spots appear on the surface of the leaves. With high humidity, the disease can progress. To eliminate the disease, reduce watering, do not spray for several days, remove infected stems, and treat the palm with a fungicide. Mineral fertilizers should be used for top dressing.
- White rot of yucca. Hardest of all with this disease is damaged plant leaves that are close to the ground. During a lesion they become discolored and become watery. To get rid of the disease, remove the affected tissue and carry out the treatment systemic fungicides (Fundazol, Rovral).
Identification: what grows on the windowsill?
Efficient, comfortable and sooooo fast. When you need to lose 3-4 pounds per week. Read more here.
Yucca room possesses a strong lignified trunk, at the top of which is located a fan of leaves. Often this plant belongs to the type of palm trees, but they are connected only by similarity. Yucca is a member of the Agave family and has almost 40 species. Of these, more than 10 copies already belong to the cultural. In our open spaces there are several varieties of semi-desert woman.
Giant or ivory
This type of plant is most common among gardeners. It attracts with its original decorative look. Its trunk clearly stands out, and at the base there is a growth in the form of a skirt. This part of the plant served as such a name, since it resembles the elephant's leg in some way. If desired, the yucca can not be cut, then it stretches up into one stem. For branching, pruning is necessary..
Emaciated Stepanenko: I weighed 108, and now 65. At night she drank warm. Read more here.
At the end of each tree branch is a bunch of large leaves of bright green color, reaching a width of 8 cm. Yucca ivory has a xiphoid leaf shape; moreover, they are rather stiff and dense, and quite sharp along the edges. At home, the plant reaches a gigantic size - 9 m. In an apartment, yucca can be grown up to 2 m in height.
In appearance, it resembles the above described form, but in natural conditions its size is much more modest. Different yucca aloelista and leaves. They are shorter and thinner, and end with a sharp spike. Pale green leaves have a bluish tint.
A distinctive feature of this species in the absence of the stem. It is a bush consisting of one or 2-3 rosettes of leaves. The shape of the leaves is large, framed by notches, and at the end is a thorn. With age, the plant loses the lower layers of leaves, and the stem is formed at the bottom.
I was able to get rid of ARTHROSIS AND OSTEOCHONDROSIS PER MONTH! Operations are not needed. Read more here.
This species refers to frost-resistant plants. In our area it can be grown on the garden plot. A plant in the form of a shrub, which consists of several outlets, collected below. The age of these beams may be different. At 2-3 years of development, a spike grows on which a mass of white flowers with a diameter of about 6 cm is located.
A striking feature of this type is also the leaves, on the edges of which are fine thin strings. At home, the plant will bloom only if it provides the necessary conditions, especially a cool climate.
This species can be grown not only indoors, but also in the garden. Outwardly, it looks more like filament, but its sheet plate is narrower and shorter. In general, the plant resembles a huge hedgehog. During the flowering period throws beautiful panicles with inflorescences of creamy white color.
When growing a flower of yucca in room conditions should follow some rules for care.
- Enough light. The plant is placed at the windows overlooking any part of the world, but not on the north. Moreover, it is necessary to establish in such a way that the diffused light, and not the direct rays of the sun, should act. Lighting for yucca should last about 12–16 hours a day.
- Fresh air. In the warm season it is advisable to take the flower to fresh air. It is better if this place is in the penumbra so that the ultraviolet rays do not burn the leaves.
- Heat - in the summer, and in the winter - coolness. The plant of hot climate loves heat and can withstand up to 35 degrees of heat in the summer. But it is the most comfortable for her to be at an air temperature of 20–25 ° C. In the dormant period, in winter, the yucca should be provided with coolness up to 10–14 ° C.
- Light and loose soil. The root system of this plant is small in size, despite the fact that it is itself bulky. Therefore, for its vulnerable roots, a breathable primer is needed so that the flower does not die.
- Uniform watering and relatively dry air. This plant tends to accumulate moisture in the stem. Thanks to its dense leaves, it evaporates slowly. Thus, after watering the flower is saturated with water and stores it for future use. It takes some time for the liquid to be consumed. Excess moisture will only harm yucca. In winter, there is a period of rest, so watering is significantly reduced. Humidity for yucca is recommended 40-50%, preferably more dry.
To grow yucca palm tree Special knowledge is not required, however, to obtain a quality flower should follow some rules. The article will consider the cultivation of the most popular species - Yucca Elephantis.
The finished plant can be purchased at a specialty store. Then you just need to do transplant its in constant capacity. You can root the cutting itself at home. The soil for the pot can also be bought. There is a special substrate for yucca, dracaena and palm trees.
You can independently prepare the mixture for planting. For this take:
- sod land and rotted pine needles or leaves of 1 part,
- river sand coarse -1.5 parts
- humus - 0.5 parts.
Tip! Peat can be added to the leaf part, and humus can be replaced with biohumus purchased in the store.
Larger plants require a more dense soil, so almost 50% of the turf soil is present in its composition. For planting it is necessary to choose a deep pot, on the bottom of which a drainage is put on a mandatory basis. In width, the container should be spacious so that the root fits freely in it, and there is still room left for the walls of 1.5 cm.
Watch the video!Yucca home. Yucca breeding and planting in a pot
Water for irrigation of yucca should be used only defended in order to prevent the acidification of the earth. Peat can be used to soften the water.
- We place 100 g of substance in a cloth,
- Dip it in a 10-liter bucket filled with water,
- A day later, this infusion can be watered plant. In addition, it will serve as a light mineral dressing.
How often to water?
- The frequency of watering depends on the age of yucca. The larger the plant, the less need for watering. Also consider the amount of land. It will dry much faster in a 5 - liter container than in a 15–20 liter pot.
- The season also affects irrigation. In the summer, the palm is in the active growth stage, so it needs more fluid. But in the winter she is resting and almost does not require water. If the room is too hot, the soil in the pot dries faster.
- If the room has a high temperature in winter and it is not possible to lower the temperature to 10–14 ° C, the soil will dry out quickly. At low humidity of the room in which the flower is located, it should be watered more often.
Accustomed to the conditions of a hot climate, yucca is considered an unpretentious plant. In nature, she does not feel a lack of nutrition. But in the pot it is not enough, so the plant should be fed, especially from March to August. Fertilizer should be applied 1 time in 15-20 days.
What can feed the room yucca?
To date, there is no shortage of fertilizers. For each type of plant, special dressings are produced, among which there are for palms and yucca.
- Complexes of mineral fertilizers for palm trees, yucca, dracaenum of such firms as Master, Flower Paradise, Biopon.
- Mineral-organic fertilizers created on the basis of humic acids with the addition of trace elements produced by Umbrella, Absolute, Humisol-M.
- Complex fertilizers for decorative and deciduous indoor plants. This solution is too concentrated, so it should be diluted almost 3 times as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Organic fertilizers, for example, granulated horse manure ("Orgavit").
- There are foliar top dressing for processing the reverse side of the leaves.
In winter, the plant is resting, so it does not need additional feeding. Also do not make fertilizer after transplantation, with the defeat of diseases and harmful insects.
Pruning yucca is done in order to give the plant an interesting shape. Without it, the trunk of the home beauty is drawn out, and at the top of it lies a bunch of leaves. The plant can begin to form when its trunk becomes 5 cm in diameter and 60–70 cm in height.
Tip! The best time for pruning is spring. Before you begin this procedure, the plant should be well watered.
At the first pruning, the top of the yucca is cut off, and the trunk remains about 40–50 cm high. The cut place is first dried and then placed on it by a garden cook, melted paraffin or sprinkled with wood ash, activated carbon powder.
As a result, pruning activates the development of several axillary buds (up to 5 pieces). You must leave those that will give the necessary trunks of the second order. Other buds are cut off and can be held. breeding culture.
Important! It is worth noting that with a trunk thickness of more than 6 cm, up to 4 shoots can be left. A thin trunk can withstand only two processes.
After the sprouts have already developed, you can start the formation of second-order trunks. At the same time, the formation of each branch is done alternately. Pseudo palm for the year can grow by 10-15 cm.
To transplant a homemade yucca resort in three cases:
- Transfer plants from the store to a permanent pot,
- Planned transplant is performed once every 2–3 years,
- An unscheduled procedure is needed when a plant root is affected.
Planned transplantation is necessary, as the flower grows and requires improved living conditions.
- When a plant vase is already small, it is not difficult to determine. With its instability, the flower can collapse at any moment.
- The roots filled the entire container with the ground, and they are already visible in the holes below.
- Также, можно заметить, что листья приостановили свой рост, а вода при поливе плохо впитывается.
Как правило пересадку юкки организовывают весной. Перед началом процедуры следует приобрести вазу большего объема, заготовить новый грунт, такой же, как для посадки и дренажный материал. A few days before the event, stop watering the plants. If the potted substrate is bad, it will be easier to clean. If the mixture is still good, then you can remove the top of the earthy coma.
Before handling palm trees, it is imperative to inspect the condition of the roots, which should be strong and light. Soft and dark pieces of the root must be removed by cutting them to living material. Wounds should be rubbed with activated charcoal.
Yucca ivory can be transplanted not as often as other specimens. In a close container, it develops slowly, some leaves dry out, while others grow, and a beautiful trunk is formed. With a large amount of soil, the root system, leaf cover develops quickly, and the trunk grows poorly.
Watch the video!Jukka Transplant
Yucca begins to bloom only from 7-10 years. In captivity, she generally can not release the flower. For the development of a flower bud, it is necessary to maintain air temperature from 10 to 14 ° C during the rest period (November – February). Also, daylight about 12–14 hours is a prerequisite.
At home, yucca is not difficult to propagate. Apply several ways:
- a handle from the top,
- shoots from the root,
- pieces of the trunk.
Yucca is also propagated by seeds, but this process is quite long. In addition, the seeds of this plant is difficult to get.
Vegetative breeding method is organized during pruning. The top is cut and placed in water for rooting. The shoot can be rooted in a mixture consisting of sand and peat. He will give the roots in 40-60 days.
Young buds appear on the trunk at the cut point. Some of them are left to form the second row. The remaining, unnecessary shoots with a sharp tool cut off, grabbing bark fragments. They are rooted in the same way as cuttings from the top of the bush. There are cases when shoots from the root system appear at the very stem of a flower. They can be deposited in a separate pot only after they are well strengthened.
After trimming a yucca, a part of the trunk may remain. It is divided into pieces of 20-25 cm and each column is planted in the prepared soil by almost half. After some time, buds appear, and then shoots. After the roots are strengthened, the stalk along with part of the shaft is planted in a separate container.
Diseases and pests
It is necessary to know that the main reason for the development of diseases and insect infestation of yucca is improper care. So, let us list what diseases a palm tree can grow in, which grows in a house.
- Mushrooms and bacteria. They are the main threat for representatives of half-empty regions. Infections destroy leaves, on which dry and rotten spots of different colors appear, the trunk begins to lose its shape, and the root system begins to rot.
- Spotting on the leaves. Fungal damage is accompanied by the formation of brown spots on the leaves. This is a signal to reduce the amount of water when watering and lowering the humidity in the room. All affected pieces must be removed from the plant.
- Stalk or root rot. When the first symptoms of the disease of the palm tree immediately remove all damaged items from the bush. It should reduce watering and humidity.
For the treatment of home plants, there are special preparations. But, first of all, it is necessary to normalize care for him. Be aware that pests infect a flower if the soil is cold and excessively moist. During the rest period, it is impossible to keep the yucca on the windowsill by the cold window, to feed with excess moisture. Also, the plant should be transplanted into a pot with the desired parameters.
With strong heat and poor lighting, the yucca weakens. At this moment such parasites can start on it, such as:
- spider mite,
The tick usually settles on the back of the leaves. If time does not begin to fight insects, then the leaves grow dull and die after some time.
In order to prevent the occurrence of pests, the leaves of the plant are treated with a solution of soap and insecticides.
To combat insect pests at first they use a mechanical device:
- using a sponge to wash the leaves with soapy water,
- then the plant is sprayed with insecticides.
This procedure must be done up to 3 times with a break of one week.
The yucca is most vulnerable in the winter when it experiences temperature stress.
Watch the video! Yucca. reproduction and care!
Description of pests and diseases of the palm tree
There are many insects that can damage the palm. For example, among them:
- spider mites,
- aphid and the like.
The main mistake that can cause infection is over-watering. To reanimate a palm tree, it is enough to remove the cause provoking a decrease in natural protection, as well as urgently treat the plant with the help of purchased insecticidal preparations. They are used strictly according to the instructions.
The name of the most common diseases of Yucca:
- stem rot,
- Botrytis mushroom,
- bacterial burn,
- brown spot,
- gray spot,
- root rot.
Treatment of diseases of the palm Yucca can be difficult, so it is better to make efforts for prevention. It is often recommended to immediately destroy diseased plants, without wasting time on their recovery. Lack of problems is a sign of proper care. Under good conditions, the probability of occurrence of diseases is almost zero.
How to transplant yucca at home?
Transplantation for yucca, as well as for other indoor crops, is a serious stress. Therefore, it is worth carrying out such a procedure in two cases:
- when the root system has grown so much that it took the whole pot, leaving no space under the ground,
- when the plant needs urgent help due to rotting roots or other mistakes made when caring for yucca at home.
In the first case, small plants are turned over into a pot of slightly larger diameter, in which drainage has been previously poured. Empty places are filled with fresh substrate, simultaneously updating the top layer of old soil.
But how to plant a room yucca, in the photo, and care for it, if the plant so takes up a lot of space and the owner does not want to allow further growth?
To limit growth, do not change the pot. And before yucca is transplanted at home, the root system of a plant is cut with a clean, sharp knife by about a quarter. The cut sections are treated with ground charcoal. In the pot fall asleep new drainage and soil. And then plant a plant. Be sure to pour fresh substrate and on top. Annual sprinkling of new soil is limited in a situation when the plant is already too large for transplanting.
After a yucca transplant, they do not water at all for two days, and then they begin to moisten the soil very carefully and moderately, waiting for the surface to dry.
Yucca grows well in the finished purchased substrate, but you can make the soil with your own hands, mixing in equal proportions sand and leaf earth. To provide power to them add half the amount of humus.
Light spots may appear on the foliage from too bright light.
- If on the stalk or adjacent soil white mycelium is visible - a symptom of a bacterial burn.
- This is a fluffy small formation of white.
- Then become stiff and dark brown.
Correct agrotechnology is the only preventive method.
Why do the leaves turn yellow and dry?
It is observed that as the tree grows, the palm tree naturally gets rid of foliage from below. This is manifested in the fact that the lower leaves turn yellow. This yellowness is normal. The fact is that there are painful spots - they are initially yellow oval.
Then modified. After yellow you can see brown spots on Yukka and this indicates brown spots. To cure the plant from brown spots, you need to use the purchase means, but first you have to adjust care.
Many wonder why the leaves turn yellow in the winter. This comes from frequent irrigation, which is not required by the plant at this time of year.
- There is also a problem: Yucca palm leaves dry only on the bottom of the plant. Apparently, she is going to reset them. In most cases, this is the norm.
- We need to think about why room Yucca dries if the leaves are taller, as this may be a sign of a lack of light and a too hot climate.
- Dryness may occur along with yellowness. When dry leaves cover only the tips, you should increase the humidity of the environment of the palm tree, as well as adjust the overall care.
Palm trees usually do not bloom in apartment conditions, just as individual species of animals refuse to give offspring in involuntary conditions. Flowering can be achieved if you grow Yucca in ideal conditions, where everything is calculated to the smallest detail. All surrounding data should be as close to nature as possible. Then, perhaps, a palm tree will give the owner flowers - wonderful panicles with bells.
So let's summarize. Room Yucca loves temperatures from 8 to 20 degrees, grows comfortably in bright light and moderate watering. Prefers high humidity and light, equipped with drainage, soil. We feed the palm tree in spring and summer, transplant overgrown specimens, propagate by cuttings of stems. Flowering occurs rarely, so at home you can not count on this miracle. That's all that we wanted to tell you about home palm, grow it for health, it is very aesthetic and looks exotic in the apartment.
Chemical composition and medicinal properties of yucca
The chemical composition of yucca is as follows:
- steroid saponins - have antifungal properties, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergenic effect, anti-edema effect, reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood,
- enzymes - take part in metabolism,
- antioxidants - take part in the metabolism, neutralize harmful substances in the body,
- mucus - have an enveloping effect, a penetrating effect, they are used in gastritis, ulcers, other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract,
- anthraquinones - have an anti-inflammatory, astringent and laxative effect on the body,
- zinc - participates in the synthesis of proteins, enzymes, fats, increases the absorption of vitamin E in the body, regulates blood sugar levels, strengthens the bone tissue of teeth, supports skin health,
- selenium - has antioxidant properties, improves the absorption of vitamins E, C, protects nucleic acids from damage, is useful for muscles and blood vessels. Increases immunity, helps in the fight against viruses, in conjunction with iodine ensures the normal functioning of the thyroid gland,
- vitamin A - participates in the synthesis of enzymes, sex hormones, rhospin in the retina,
- vitamin C - boosts immunity, participates in the synthesis of collagen, cartilage tissue and has antioxidant properties.
A large number of sapogenins and aglycones are found in yucca leaves. In addition, they found a steroid saponin in the amount of 1-2%, it is a stereoisomer of sarsapogenin.
The extract of yucca flowers contains zinc and selenium, steroid sapogenins, carbohydrates.
The root of the plant has many saponins, which stimulates the production of cortisone in the body and is responsible for the anti-inflammatory qualities of the plant. Also in the root contains folic acid, vitamin E, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin K, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper.
Important!In room growing conditions, yucca blooms extremely rarely. Therefore, when it becomes very warm outside, it needs to be carried to fresh air. For five years of compliance with this condition, the plant will accumulate the necessary substances to bloom.
How to procure and store medical raw materials from yucca
- The yucca flower has healing properties, so its different parts are harvested to be used as a raw material for medicines later.
- Yucca leaves have anti-inflammatory and antiallergic properties. They must be harvested before and during the flowering of the plant.
- Cut the leaves laid out a thin layer on the surface, leaving to dry in the sun. Keep them in a well-ventilated area.
- On an industrial scale, yucca harvesting is mechanized. The collected leaves are dried on the currents, stored in well-ventilated areas up to 5 years.
Yucca root has many nutrients, so it is also harvested. Use for the preparation of drugs need the root of an adult plant. When digging up the roots, it is necessary to remember that they go down to the ground by 50-70 cm. It is necessary to undermine them as deep as possible so that the root system of the yucca is not damaged.
Yucca blooms in the 3rd year of its life. This occurs between the end of June and August. At this time, you can collect the flowers of the plant for preparation of raw materials for drugs. Dried yucca flowers stored in a ventilated area.
Did you know?In order for the yucca to overwinter and survive, when it gets cold, you need to tie its leaves in a bunch. With this technique, the tip will not freeze slightly, and the leaves will not break under the wet snow. The roots of the plant go deep, so they are not afraid of either cold or heat.
The use of yucca in traditional medicine for diseases
The range of effects of yucca on the body is very wide. This plant is used for the treatment of a large number of diseases: arthritis, gout, polyps in the intestines, prostatitis, flatulence, low blood pressure, etc.
In folk medicine yucca is used to deal with problems like dry itchy skin, eczema, psoriasis, neurodermatitis, lichen planus. With viral rashes, the juice of yucca leaves is effective.
Important!People suffering from urolithiasis and gallstones, it is contraindicated to take drugs from yucca.
Yucca is useful in inflammatory processes such as arthritis, arthrosis, gout, bursitis. To do this, use the following recipe:
- shredded yucca roots - 1 tablespoon,
- water - 500 ml.
Chopped roots pour water and boil for 15 minutes. The broth must be insisted for an hour, after which drink half a cup 3 times a day.
Eczema and psoriasis
For the treatment of psoriasis, eczema and neurodermatitis, yucca must be taken according to the following recipes:
- fresh leaves of yucca – 50 grams,
- water - 3-4 liters.
Leaves pour water and bring to a boil. After cooling, the broth is used in the form of lotions to the affected skin..
- Fresh leaves of yucca - 10 grams,
- Baked bacon - 100 grams.
Mix the lard with the leaves, heat the mixture in a water bath for 5-6 hours. Filter through cheesecloth and pour into a jar. After cooling, the ointment is applied to the affected skin.
Yucca with peptic ulcer has a good effect on the body. For treatment apply leaves of the plant - 10 grams of water is poured over them - 500 ml. The mixture is brought to a boil. This broth should be drunk 3 times a day.
This way you can cure peptic ulcer, gastritis, Crohn's disease, intestinal inflammation.
With the help of yucca is the treatment of diabetes. Drugs that contain extracts of this plant are sold in a pharmacy. You can also cook a decoction of yucca at home.
For broth yucca with diabetes will need plant root and stem. You can also use flowers, as they contain zinc.
Raw materials in the amount of 50 grams are poured with 3-4 liters of water, boiled and allowed to cool the broth, and then taken orally.
To get rid of prostatitis using yucca, you need to cook mixturein which:
- shredded yucca roots,
- Aralia Manchu,
Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture, pour them with water in the amount of 500 ml, bring to a boil, boil for 15 minutes. Broth required to insist 1-1.5 hours and drink 3 times a day for half a glass. The treatment lasts a month.
Use in cosmetology
Yucca extract extract, which has a healing, bactericidal action. Flower plant extract is rich in zinc, selenium, sapogenins, so it is added as an ingredient in some cosmetics for skin and hair care.
How to use yucca in industry
Yucca is used in the US light industry. Filamentous yucca is grown as a technical plant for the production of strong fibers. These fibers are added to cotton in the production of denim. Thanks to yucca fibers, jeans become more wear-resistant.
- Also, the fibers of this plant are used in the manufacture of ropes for ropes, brushes, fishing gear, burlap and in the manufacture of paper.
- Yucca leaves contain steroid sapogenins, due to which the plant is used in the manufacture of hormonal corticosteroid drugs.
- There are diseases such as rheumatism, arthritis, and yucca due to the pronounced anti-inflammatory effect is used as a raw material in the latest preparations for the treatment of joints.
- Also included in the preparations for the treatment of skin diseases - fungi, juvenile acne and other lesions.
Thus, yucca is used in industrial medicine.
Another industrial application of the plant - natural red dye is extracted from the root.
Yucca contains substances that break down into simple compounds that can harm a person. One of these compounds is hydrocyanic acid, которая при длительном употреблении юкки в пищу может привести к миелопатии, парастезии.
Одноразовое употребление корней юкки в количестве 400 грамм дает летальную дозу синильной кислоты для человека.
Возможный побочный эффект юкки при её приеме и применении:
Therefore, it is necessary to comply with the recommended dosage when using drugs from yucca.