Another name for the flower is ivy geranium. With good care, it forms strong falling shoots from 50 cm to 1 m long. Another feature is smooth five-fingered leaves without pubescence. The color of the leaves is monophonic and variegated.
Description and difference from the usual geranium
Growing ampelous geranium at home does not cause much trouble - the flower easily adapts to the microclimate of the apartment. In the summer, prefers fresh air - hanging pots can be taken out on the balcony or hung out in the garden. Coloring of flowers is various. Often there are varieties with white, red, purple, orange, pink, flowers. Inflorescences are lush, in appearance resemble a pompon.
The length of the hanging stems reaches 90 cm. The leaves are smooth original five-toed forms. The peculiarity of ampelous geranium is a long flowering period. It begins at the very beginning of spring, ends towards the end of autumn. During the entire flowering period, wilted flowers are removed.
From the usual geranium ampelous is different in appearance and features of care. The main difference between ampel geranium from the usual.
- Stems. Thin, hanging down to a meter. In ordinary geranium, the stalks are short and erect.
- Shoots. From the main stem leaves a lot of more subtle, flexible shoots. Bush looks voluminous, lush.
- Leaves. The usual geranium leaves rounded, pubescent, soft. In ampelnaya - smooth, with a glossy shine.
- Buds The inflorescences are larger and brighter.
How to choose a flower in the store and take care after the purchase
Pay attention to the specimens with buds, but not with blooming flowers. Assess the condition of the plant. Spots on leaves and stems, lethargy, bare bottom of the shoots - all this suggests that the flower is sick or does not receive the necessary care. How to care for amber geraniums after purchase?
- Quarantine. For two weeks, geraniums are set apart from other colors. The initial signs of illness or pests in the store could go unnoticed. During this period they will surely prove themselves. Quarantine is necessary not only to facilitate adaptation, but also to protect other flowers from infection.
- Watering and feeding. At first, curly geranium should receive a moderate amount of moisture. Feeding is not necessary. Fertilization facilitates adaptation, but leads to a weakening of the plant in the future.
- Lighting The purchased plant is placed in a well-lit, but protected from the direct sun spot. It is recommended to put it not on the windowsill, but on the bedside table or table next to the window. After a period of adaptation they are accustomed to brighter lighting gradually.
- Transplant If the condition of the soil is satisfactory, you do not need to hurry with the transplant. Excessive stress will lead to a weakening of the plant, making it more difficult to adapt. It is better to transplant in about three weeks, when the flower takes root in a new place. If the geranium was acquired in the fall or winter, it is better to postpone the transplant in the spring.
Care of amber geraniums after transplantation is gentle. The transplanted plant is kept in a warm place, pritenyut from the sun, watered regularly, but moderately. The roots have not yet taken root - abundant watering will lead to their decay. Feeding is stopped for two months - in the fresh soil enough nutrients.
Care for amber geraniums: basic recommendations
Ampel geranium is more capricious than usual, but growing difficulties are rare. The flower gratefully responds to the creation of a favorable climate, regular watering, periodic feeding. The basis of care take a number of rules.
- Lighting The lack of light leads to a decrease in decoration, loss of pomp, weak flowering. Trying to be placed next to the southern, eastern and western windows. They hide from the sun - the leaves burn easily.
- Temperature . The plant is thermophilic, but it reacts sharply to the heat. Favorable temperature for full growth and flowering is 20–25 ˚С. In the winter they keep cool - about 15˚С.
- Watering Watering regular, moderate. Waterlogging is undesirable. Mild drought, temporary cessation of watering tolerates easier than damp. Sudden changes in soil moisture are undesirable. In winter, they are guided by the soil moisture - it should dry by a third.
- Air humidity . Grow better in low humidity. Dry air flats favors the health of the plant. Spraying geranium does not like. The accumulation of water droplets in the leaf axils is fraught with their rotting.
- Ground A good composition of the soil - a mixture of leafy humus, sand and peat. The main requirements for the soil - lightness, friability. In too nutritious soils, geranium does not bloom, but is actively increasing new shoots and leaves.
- Feeding. Ampel geranium can well do without dressings. Periodic application of small doses of fertilizers has a positive effect on its growth. Drugs containing nitrogen are avoided - they stimulate rapid growth, inhibit the budding of flower buds. It is better to feed the ampelous geranium with phosphate and potash fertilizers. They are made with irrigation only on wet soil, the concentration is halved.
- Period of rest. In winter, geranium slows growth, rests, prepares for the next bloom. Favorable conditions - the temperature is not lower than 11 ° C and not higher than 15 ° C, moderate irrigation. Without a rest period geranium can not bloom.
- Transplant The transshipment is done every two years. The geranium is removed from the pot, without destroying a lump of earth, placed in a new container, filled with fresh soil. The root system is developed poorly - take a small pot. In a spacious pot flowering will be weak.
How and when to trim
Pruning of ampelous geranium stimulates the growth of lateral shoots, maintains a neat shape of the bush, rejuvenates the plant, promotes abundant flowering. Without pruning, the decorativeness of the geranium declines rapidly, the bush looks disheveled, it blooms worse.
Pruning is carried out at the beginning of the rest period - in the fall. Very lush plants need more strength to restore - in the next flowering weak inflorescences may form. When autumn pruning shorten the main shoots to seven leaves, cut the side. Young lashes coming from the root do not touch.
If during the winter geranium had time to grow, pruning is carried out again in the spring. Remove unnecessary, weak stems. All spring they continue to pinch the ampelous geranium, removing the tops of the new shoots after the fifth leaf. Lush, neat crown is formed by regular pinching.
Methods and rules for reproduction
An ampelous geranium is propagated in two ways - by seeds and cuttings. The second method is considered more effective - when grafting, the characteristics of the variety are fully preserved. Growing from seed is laborious. The use of seeds collected from your plant does not always give good results.
Features For the cultivation of geranium is better to use seeds purchased in specialized stores. This method is more suitable for obtaining a new variety, rather than reproduction. Hybrid species are not taken to be propagated by seeds. Geranium is sown in December, so that by spring the seedlings are already growing. It is desirable to use artificial lighting at the stage of germination and the beginning of the development of sprouts.
- A shallow wide container is filled with a soil mixture consisting of sand, peat, sphagnum and garden soil.
- Seeds laid out on the surface at a short distance from each other. Sprinkle with a layer of soil to 5 mm.
- The soil is moistened, the container is covered with a film. Put in a warm place under the fluorescent lamps.
Features It is easy to reproduce an ampel geranium by cuttings. They take root easily and grow quickly. Time grafting combined with autumn or spring pruning. As planting material used tops of the shoots.
- Cut cuttings no longer than 12 cm in length. Lower leaflets are removed.
- The cuttings are dried for two hours, dipped in coal powder and planted directly in a light soil containing peat and sphagnum. In the water, geranium cuttings often rot.
- Keep warm, in the light, under a cap from a trimmed plastic bottle. The soil is regularly moistened, avoid water on the stem.
- After the appearance of signs of growth of the main stalk pinch to stimulate lateral branching.
If it is impossible to root an ampelous geranium, before planting, treat the cuttings with the root formation stimulator “Hetero-auxin”. The roots will appear much faster.
Despite the unpretentiousness of geraniums, pests can attack it. It is possible infection of fungal and viral diseases. Most problems arise due to improper care. The most common problems and their causes are given in the table.
Table - The main problems when growing ampel geraniums
Conditions for growing ampel geraniums at home
The ampelous forms of ileum geranium feel well on the lighted places where the plants are not threatened with drafts or cold gusts of wind. If in the summer pelargonium is supposed to be carried out to the open air, it is better to harden the plants in the spring, gradually accustoming them to street content and more often bringing them to the balcony or terrace.
Hardened specimens can tolerate a significant drop in temperature. But if the thermometer drops below zero, damage to the tips of the shoots or more serious harm cannot be avoided.
Since ampelous geraniums in nature are plants of mountainous regions, most often they are undemanding to the composition of the soil. It is better if:
- indoor pets are planted in a fertile substrate with the addition of a small amount of clay,
- a powerful drainage layer is made on the bottom of the pot.
When caring for ampel geranium culture provide regular, but moderate watering. Excessive moistening of the soil under the lush falling crown of the plant threatens to disturb the aeration of the soil, rotting of the roots and the death of pelargonium.
Summer care of amber geraniums at home
During the period of active growth, which lasts from March to the end of August, the ampelous variety of room geranium needs regular feeding.
With constant care, the amber geranium at home responds well to the weekly introduction of complex fertilizer.
How to feed a geranium so that it blooms long and abundantly throughout the season? If in the spring of pelargonium for better growth it is possible to give products containing a significant amount of nitrogen, it is better to limit the geranium in this element from the second or third feeding. Otherwise, the florist will admire the whole season on large dense leaves, but the flowering will be either very weak, or the buds will not appear at all.
As they grow, when the roots become fully habitable, the volume of the pot allotted to them, the plants are transplanted.
Ampel geranium at any age without loss carries this procedure, the main thing is not to choose the next capacity much more than the previous container. Until the roots unfold to its full extent, pelargonium does not deserve the owner with bright hats of colors.
In the warm season, the care of amber geraniums consists of:
- from irrigation carried out during the drying of the upper layer of the substrate,
- from additional dressings combined with soil moistening under the plant,
- from compulsory pruning and nip shoots.
How to pinch the geranium so that the middle of the crown does not become bare at the plant, and the lower shoots form beautiful cascades? In the bush species in the spring and especially in the autumn, a sufficiently deep crown trimming is performed. This allows you to give the bush a compact form and achieve lush flowering in the next season.
The attractiveness of ampelous geranium is not only in inflorescences, but also in long “streaming” down shoots. Therefore, only pruned or dried stems are pruned, and the rest are carefully pinned.
This technique causes:
- branching through the awakening of dormant buds,
- the formation of a larger number of inflorescences on new stems.
As a result, the top of the crown is not “bald”, and flowering extends to the whole plant, which turns into a bright colored ball.
Care for amber geraniums in winter
For wintering of ampelous geraniums it is required:
- a cool place where the temperature stays in the range of 5–12 ° C,
- diffused but quite bright lighting
- rare watering, not affecting the foliage and shoots.
If the plants lack light, by the spring a mass of weak, stalks with crushed pale leaves will form on them. And an excess of moisture during the care of ampelous geraniums in the winter is a sure reason for the decay of the root collar and peripheral roots.
In addition to observing the temperature and humidity conditions and providing light, the stone pelargoniums need to remove old foliage. It is better to do this with scissors, so as not to damage the kidneys in the leaf axils.
Growing geraniums from seeds
It is possible to propagate the ampelous geranium of the favorite variety with the help of seeds or vegetatively, by cuttings. The first method will require more labor, but it is indispensable when it comes to getting new hybrids or the absence of the desired cutting.
Growing geraniums from seeds can be carried out from December to the last days of April. True, in the winter, one cannot do without the use of specialized seedling illumination:
- The seeds of 3-5 mm close up in a mixture of peat, sand, garden soil and sphagnum.
- A container with a wet substrate is placed in a mini-teplichka or under the film, where it maintains a constant temperature, humidity of the air and soil.
- With good lighting and a temperature of 22–24 ° C, the seeds sprout in 7–10 days.
- After 3 weeks, an adult plant picks.
The procedure stimulates the growth of seedlings, and from that moment they are started to be fed with a complex tool for ornamental crops. And with the appearance of several true leaves, young ampelous geraniums are seated in their own pots.
Reproduction of ampelous geranium by cutting
Obtain healthy, fully transmitting signs of mother plants ampelous geraniums can be using cuttings. They are cut from adult bushes at the end of summer, when massive flowering is completed and pruning is carried out. If the green animals gave a good, strong growth in the winter, then the spring cuttings can be easily rooted.
But it is important to remember that, in contrast to zonal pelargonium, ivy varieties do not behave well in water. They easily rot, so rooting cuttings is required in the soil of peat, sand and a small amount of humus.
Saplings 7–12 cm long with several leaves of their own:
- dried for 2-6 hours in air
- treated with crushed wood or activated charcoal,
- planted at a short distance from each other along the edge of the container or pot.
For rooting, young ampel geraniums do not need greenhouse conditions. They give their own roots about three weeks after cutting from the mother bush.
After the formation of several leaves, pinching is carried out to stimulate branching. With good care, the ampelous geranium at home blooms after the first wintering and then for many years pleases the owner with a green crown and lush hats of inflorescences.
How to propagate the plant at home?
The most acceptable way to reproduce ampelous geranium at home is the vegetative method, namely, using cuttings: this method is simple (even for beginners in horticulture), fast (the first flowers will bloom in a short time), when cutting, all signs of the mother plant are kept ( color, color of leaves, shape and size of a flower, etc.).
Reproduction of ampelous geranium by cutting is best done in spring and summer during seasonal pruning. Autumn and winter shoots will give weak and disease-prone plants.
Spring and summer are the period of active plant growth: it is during these seasons that all metabolic processes occurring in the plant, including the processes of building new cells, accelerate. In addition, it is in spring and summer that it is easy to create all those conditions that contribute to the painless rooting of the petioles: a lot of sunlight, the optimum temperature level.
From the video you will learn how to implant cuttings of ileum pelargonium:
Preparation of planting material
- Choosing a healthy, strong, without visible damage, non-flowering escape.
- The apical part of the shoot is not less than 10 cm long and is cut from the bush of the ampelous geranium below the node with sharp scissors or a knife.
- Process the cut with crushed activated carbon, which will help to avoid putrefactive processes, can also be treated with the drug "Kornevin".
- Remove all lower leaves from the appendix. It should be at least 2 -3 kidneys.
- It is recommended to dry the scape during the day.
Rooting is the process of the emergence of the root system of a shoot cut from the mother plant. Root ampelous geranium should be in the ground. It should be loose, airy, airtight and water permeable. Sand must be an integral part of the substrate. One option: mix in equal proportions of turf soil, sand, peat. Preliminary it is recommended to disinfect with fungicides or thermally.
Cut and dried petiole is dipped into the root stimulator, for example, “Kornevin”. Далее побег заглубляется во влажный грунт на 3 – 4 см, землю вокруг следует хорошо уплотнить для лучшей фиксации саженца.In the pots should be rooted on several cuttings at a distance of 2-3 cm from each other, so that young plants are not intertwined with the roots. After 2 - 3 weeks the shoots will give the roots, then they can be seated in individual pots.
The optimal conditions for the development of shoots are considered temperature + 20C - + 25C, moderate watering (as the topsoil dries out), diffused sunlight.
Planting in soil
After the root system is formed in the cuttings, they need to be transplanted into individual pots. To do this, it is necessary to prepare a container in advance, fill its lower layer with expanded clay or brick chips, and then with a substrate from the store or with a mixture of peat and sand. Having made a recess in the ground with your hand, place the seedling in the pot.
The best method of planting for young seedlings rooting in the ground is the method of transshipment: the plant comes from the tank and, without shaking off an earthy coma, is placed in a new pot. The top layer of soil at the stem is crushed by hands, the plant is watered and put in its place. On a pot with a diameter of 12 cm, it is recommended to plant 5 to 6 petioles so that the bush of ampelous geranium is lush and beautiful.
Breeding of ampelous geranium seeds is not as popularas grafting. But it is necessary when it comes to obtaining new varieties of plants, although it requires a lot of labor and time costs.
In this way, geranium can be propagated from December to the end of April:
- First, the container must be filled with soil (1 part of garden soil: 1 part of sand: 1 part of peat, a little peat moss).
- On its moistened surface, seeds are pre-soaked in water for a day, which are sprinkled with soil for 3-5 mm. Earth should not be tamped for better germination of seeds.
- Next, the box is covered with glass or plastic wrap, not forgetting about the daily ventilation of crops.
- After the shoots appear and get stronger (after 7 - 15 days), the coating can be removed. The optimum temperature for growing seedlings is + 22С - + 24С.
- It is also important to ensure systematic, but moderate watering of the seedlings (to prevent the accumulation of moisture and not allow the upper layer of the soil to dry up). To avoid soil erosion, you can irrigate the substrate of the spray.
- After 3 weeks it is necessary to carry out a picking, spreading them 2 to 3 cm apart.
- After diving in order to stimulate the growth of seedlings, you can begin to feed them with complex fertilizers for ornamental crops.
- And after the appearance of several true leaves, young seedlings should be planted in individual pots.
The plant does not bloom
Geranium after rooting cutting the first flowers should be thrown in the very first summer. At full capacity, the plant will bloom after wintering. If the flowers have not been released, then, most likely, the problem, as it is not strange, in a pot.
An excessively large pot will help geraniums to actively develop the root system, build up deciduous mass, and not buds. Therefore, it is necessary to transplant the flower into a smaller pot. And this fact must be taken into account when choosing a pot for planting a young plant.
Transplanted into individual pots seedlings of ampelous geranium is recommended to grow in a bright place, but without direct sunlight on the foliage. The ideal option is the north, north-west, northeast windows. The young plant is watered moderately and little by little.
Top dressing is made by complex mineral fertilizers, bought in flower shops, from spring to autumn 2-3 times a month. The elements necessary for it are potassium, phosphorus, magnesium. Organic fertilizers poured into containers with geraniums is not recommended.
Propagation by cuttings and seeds are the two most popular propagation methods. ampelous geranium, besides not requiring and special cash investments. The main conditions for success in this - the desire of the grower, the creation of comfortable conditions and proper care for a young plant.
To plant a geranium is easy, but first you need to know its features. The most suitable species for growing at home are white, red, fragrant and ampelous geraniums.
Before you begin work, even with the purchase should pay attention to the appearance of the seeds and, in fact, the variety that you want to purchase. Usually, these seeds of geranium are already scarified (cleared of a hard shell), fully prepared for sowing. However, if you are dealing with home-grown geranium seeds, they need to be treated with sandpaper. It is necessary to do this to eliminate the hardened leather layer. So your seedlings will grow rapidly and at the same time.
The main thing you need to know before you start:
- seed planting time,
- soil for planting semen
- location of seedlings,
- geranium care
- the period of its germination,
- Pelargonium picks.
Soil preparation and seeding
Knowledgeable breeders will tell you that there are no specific times for planting geranium seeds. However, the best time to plant is from mid-November to mid-April. It is during these five months that it is recommended to practice the sowing of pelargonium.
To work you need containers with the substrate. There are several substrate options:
- turf, sand, peat in a ratio of 2: 1: 1,
- peat, sand - 1: 1,
- peat, perlite - 1: 1.
As you can see, there are many combinations of soil for planting geranium seeds, this makes it possible to choose the most suitable for each of us. However, remember that the successful growth of geranium using the second variant of the soil is possible only with quality care.
To sow the seed of geranium, you need to prepare it in advance. For this, the seed is treated with epin or zircon and soaked for exactly three hours in water at room temperature.
Geranium seeds are located at a distance of 5 cm from each other, so as not to interfere. Then they are sprinkled with a small layer of earth and sprayed with settled water at room temperature. It is important to remember that the layer of soil over the seeds should be no more than 0.5 cm. In addition, the soil must be moist during cultivation. We cover the planted seed with glass or plastic film.
The optimum temperature for the growth of pelargonium seeds will be about 20 ° C. Place a box with seeded geraniums in a bright room, without direct sunlight.
The total time of plant growth is 45 days, and within a week and a half after it has been sown, the first shoots appear. After two weeks you will see the first leaf (then it is recommended to carry out a picking), and pelargonium will bloom in 3-4 months. The seed growth rate depends on several factors: the geranium variety, its storage time, the room temperature.
I like room geranium because it is not picky in its care. Enough to follow some simple rules:
- give the plant enough sunlight. Geranium is not afraid of direct sunlight, but it is not necessary to overdo it, because it will lead to fading of flowers and leaves and their fall.
- Watering geranium should be not frequent, but quality. The signal for irrigation will be dried up soil. In winter, watering should be moderate, in summer - more abundant.
- Pelargonium loves warmth, but not heat. In the summer it will be enough 20 ° С, and in the winter - 15 ° С.
- good potted drainage is needed. This is necessary so that the water below does not stagnate and does not lead to decay. For excellent drainage, you can use expanded clay, it must be laid on the bottom of the pot.
- systematic feeding required plant a couple of times a month. In specialized stores you can find any of their species.
- regular removal of faded inflorescences. This is necessary to ensure the continuation of flowering geraniums.
It is also important to describe the negative states of pelargonium.
- Red edges of the leaves. The reason - the plant is too cold.
- Yellow sheets. The reason is lack of water.
- Darkening sheets. The reason is waterlogging. Such a plant should be eliminated.
- Gray mold. The reason is waterlogging.
- Watery pads on the sheets. The reason is also waterlogging.
- The fall of the bottom sheets. The reason is a lack of light.
Transplanting geranium sprouts, or picking, occurs when you see from 2 to 4 leaflets on the shoots. Plant should be planted from one “family” into separate pots. This is done simply. Carefully divide the roots of one flower into several separate ones. It is very important not to miss the moment of the picking, otherwise the roots will be intertwined, and it will be difficult to carry out the operation. Pots for deciphered plants in diameter should be no more than 10 cm.
Water the transplanted geranium with a watering can with a narrow spout. And on cloudy days add lighting, because its deficiency leads to yellowing of the sheets and their falling off. Removal of such sheets in time prevents the occurrence of fungus and mold in these areas.
A must here is to add a special substrate. Do not forget that as soon as the geranium begins to recruit a sheet, over 6-7 sheets of it you need to pinch. So you stop the growth of pelargonium.
Thus, we understood how to sow geranium seeds. As we see, its reproduction is not a difficult matter, but it requires attention to the object. Providing the correct care for pelargoniums, you will observe this beautiful plant in your home for a long time.
A drop of history
“She would be even sweet if it were not for her fertility,” French writer Maurice Metherlink wrote about this plant at the end of the 19th century. At that time it was difficult to find a flower more popular than geranium, its numerous varieties were grown in gardens, rooms and greenhouses. It spread throughout Europe, but especially in England, where it became a symbol of Victorian comfort and integrity. Then there were about 20 varieties of geraniums, and today there are more than 8,000!
Geranium room (zone), grade Snowball
At one time, geranium in our country began to be considered a “petty-bourgeois” flower. Because of this, the number of rolls on the windows has decreased significantly. And it was immediately noticed that the diseases of the respiratory system in humans increased significantly - asthma, tuberculosis and others. It turned out that it was the geranium that protected the dwellings from pathogenic microorganisms, disinfecting the air, collecting dust on its fluffy leaves.
Not only beauty, but also benefits
Therefore, in every home it is recommended to grow any kind of this unique flower, which also has healing properties and is widely used in traditional medicine and homeopathy. For example, if you chew a piece of geranium leaf, you can soothe a toothache, otitis can be treated by laying a crumpled leaf in your ear. And to stabilize the pressure, it is necessary to attach a large sheet to the wrist. Inhalations of geranium decoction (or with the oil of this plant) treat sore throat, sinusitis and sinusitis, a bath with a decoction of leaves is an excellent remedy for insomnia.
Collection Exotic Multiblum
Before talking about the peculiarities of growing this flower, I would like to dwell on the classification of its many varieties and species. For convenience, they are divided into four main groups:
Zone geranium with beautiful leaves
The first - zonal pelargoniums, which are grown mainly in flower beds and in rooms. These plants have very characteristic rounded leaves, as if someone had cut neat semicircles along the edge with scissors. The color of the foliage can be of various colors - from deep green to bronze-brown with white edging.
Zone geranium, cultivar Americana White Splash
The second group - large-flowered, or royal English pelargoniums. Sometimes reminiscent of exquisite orchids, they are distinguished by large flowers. The top two petals are often warmer than the rest and velvety to the touch, giving the whole plant an elegant look.
The third group is ivy ampellate pelargoniums. Their stems are not erect, but creeping, drooping or cascading falling down.
And finally, the fourth group - fragrant pelargonium. It includes species with cut leaves, which, if rubbed between the fingers, have a strong characteristic odor.
In addition, now in the flower shops you can buy geraniums of the type Unicum, Angel, Succulent, the flowers can be simple and terry, in the form: Tulip, Rosebud, Cactus, Star-shaped, Formosa, Deacons, Bird eggs.
Pelargonium is cultivated in the rooms, zoned, fragrant, and ivy-like, because the large-colored form is distinguished by greater whimsicalness. Plants always need good lighting, but they do not like too wet rooms with drafts and over-fermented soil. In winter, when the plant is resting, it is better to move it to a cool place. In spring, pelargonium is transplanted into fresh ground, cutting off the longest shoots by half.
The remaining trim can be used for breeding, but make sure that each has no more than 3-4 leaves. Pelargonium bloomed at the beginning of spring at the beginning of summer, but if it is necessary to achieve early flowering in March, it will be flown at the end of summer.
If desired, and the ability to get flowering, even in the middle of winter.
In the flower garden young plants need to be transplanted in the first days of June, when the threat of frost has passed. Nutritious soil contributes to the development of strong and durable plants, but will bloom weakly. In such conditions, the flower will open only in mid-September, when the probability of sudden frosts is already high. Therefore, pelargonium is grown in small pots and planted with them in a flower garden, thus limiting the roots of the plant and providing lush abundant flowering.
Geranium Tulip, Peach Tenderness
The most important thing in care is constantly wet, but not over-wetted earth, regular dressing and occasional dousing of leaves, especially for indoor plants - to wash off dust and geranium could fully clean the air.
Royal geranium, grade Black Prince
Pelargonium - a great decoration of the balcony, especially those that are located to the south or east. The plant does not require large pots, so you can simply leave them around the perimeter of the balcony. For this purpose, ileum and zonal pelargonium species are particularly suitable.
Geranium, view of an angel
In this case, they are planted in two rows: plants are allowed outside with hanging sprouts, and nearby are low, erect.
Zonal, Ivory Snow grade
Geranium, Angel type, Pompon variety
Do not be discouraged if the planting material turned out to be a bit - in one summer it will be ten times more. In winter, pelargoniums are pruned, brought from the balconies to the rooms.
Press "Like" and get only the best posts on Facebook ↓
1. Types of ampelous pelargonium
Ampel geranium belongs to the hanging gardens, so it is valued not only beautiful and bright flowers, but also beautifully hanging down the shoots. Often, planting geraniums in hanging pots, it decorates gardens, parks, terraces, open areas and balconies.
The ampelous species of geranium includes pelargonium ampelous ileus or thyroid. She comes from South Africa, but at the expense of her unpretentiousness, she feels fine with us too.
The falling branches of ampelous pelargonium can reach 1 meter. Its flowers are simple and terry, have a variety of color shades from white to red and resemble pompons, leaves - dense, smooth, five-toed shapes, green or colorful. The ampelous pelargonium blooms from early spring to late autumn. In addition to a long flowering period, another characteristic feature is simplicity in its reproduction and care.
2.1. Propagation of ampelous pelargonium seeds
Growing pelargonium from seeds is a complex method that depends on many factors and above all on the quality of the seeds themselves. Most often, the reproduction of Pelargonium and Ileum from seeds is carried out to obtain a large number of seedlings, which will then be used to decorate flowerbeds in parks and avenues.
When breeding seeds, ampella pelargonium is more demanding. Planting and maintenance takes more time and effort. Sowing of seeds should be started in winter or early spring, so that by the beginning of summer, already strong plants can be used for planting.
The seeds of this species of ampelous pelargonium are rather large and strong. Therefore, to increase germination a few days before planting requires preparation.
- Firstly - thinning the seed coat. To do this, you can use fine sandpaper or even a nail file. This is necessary in order to slightly cut down the surface of the seed coat, but this should be done very carefully so as not to damage the internal seed.
- Then seeds need soak in water room temperature for 24 hours.
- The third stage of preparation - disinfection. Seeds should be placed in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. After that, they need to get and dry.
You can take ready-made soil for planting, which is sold in special stores, and you can prepare it yourself. For ampelous pelargoniums the soil should be in equal proportions of peat, sand and sod land.
Preparing a soil mixture, it is necessary good moisten and only then can the seeds be placed in it. Deepen the seeds need no more than 5 mm. Их необходимо расположить на поверхности почвы на небольшом расстоянии друг от друга и сверху слегка присыпать землей. Землю утрамбовывать не нужно, она должна оставаться рыхлой для лучшей всхожести семян.
Then the container with the seeds must be covered with a transparent material and placed in a warm room, with a maintained temperature of 22 to 24 degrees. At this time it is necessary to provide good lighting. Under these conditions, the first shoots will appear within 10 days.
After the appearance of the first full leaflets, seedlings can be transplanted into separate containers. This should be done very carefully, because the roots of the plants are very fragile and can easily be damaged. Plants grown from seed, bloom in the first year of planting.
Reproduction of ampelous pelargonium with seeds is a very laborious process, therefore this method is mainly used by experienced flower growers.
2.2 Reproduction of ampelous pelargonium cuttings
Beginning growers use the method of cutting the ampella pelargonium, which is the simplest.
Propagation by cuttings can be carried out as in the fall, when pelargonium pruned for the winter, and in the spring, if the plant has grown well and requires pruning.
When geranium is propagated by cutting, it is possible to preserve all the attributes of the initial variety in a young plant. To do this, take into account some features.
- The stalk must be taken 7-12 cm long, with several leaves.
- The cuttings of ampelous geranium behave badly in the water - they immediately begin to rot. Therefore, rooted cuttings immediately into the prepared ground.
- After cutting the cuttings, they are dried in air for 5-6 hours, having previously processed the cut with wood or activated carbon. Drying allows to avoid putrefactive processes during rooting.
- After preparing the cuttings, they are planted in prepared containers at a short distance from each other. To make the cuttings quicker to root, the earth around them is well compacted. Rooting occurs about 2-3 weeks after cutting the cuttings.
- After a few leaves have appeared on the plant, pinching is carried out to form a magnificent bush of ampelous pelargonium.
Such reproduction of geraniums is the most successful, and if grafting occurs in the spring, then in the first year of planting it can be pleasing flowering.
3.2 Soil and planting capacity
- Ampel pelargonium is not very demanding on the composition of the soil. It should be nutritious, loamy and quite loose with good drainage. Pelargonium perfectly tolerates dry soil, but is very afraid of waterlogging, so good drainage is important. Claydite can be used as a drainage.
- Potin which the pelargonium is planted is also of great importance. It depends on how much a flower will bloom magnificently. The larger the pot in which the plant is planted, the smaller and more luxuriant the flowering will be. Therefore, the capacity should be taken small and when transplanting an adult plant, increase the capacity of the pot by no more than 1.5 - 2 cm than the previous one.
- Correct watering - This is the key to abundant flowering and good care of ampelnoe pelargonium at home. She likes abundant watering, but excessive moisture can be detrimental to the plant. Thus, it is necessary to water a geranium only after the top layer of the soil has dried up. For good flowering, it is necessary to ensure that the earth lump does not dry out and the water does not stagnate in the plant capacity. For this, you need to ensure good drainage. In summer, ampelous pelargonium is watered more often, in winter, watering is reduced to a minimum. Pelargonium need not be sprayed, as this can lead to rotting on the leaves. For the full development of pelargonium, the ampelous one needs fresh air, therefore it needs constant airing, but drafts should be avoided.
- Care of an amber geranium in the home can not be called complete without feeding plants. Feed pelargonium ileum is necessary in the period of growth, budding and flowering, that is, from early spring to late summer, the plant requires feeding. Fertilizers need to be every 10 -14 days. It is important to know when and what kind of fertilizer to apply. The quality of flowering directly depends on this. Fertilizers rich in nitrogen stimulate the growth of greenery, so it is advisable to make them in early spring, when the plant begins to grow. During the budding and flowering period, it is necessary to use fertilizers rich in potassium and phosphorus. They provoke a lush bloom. For dressing you can use ready-made mineral fertilizers for this variety of flowers, and you can use homemade ones. For example, broth onion peel or diluted milk. It is also advised to use water with the addition of iodine for watering the geranium. To do this, it is necessary to dissolve a drop of iodine in 50 g of water and pour it over the edge of the pot. In the autumn-winter period, the feeding of the ampelous pelargonium is stopped.
3.5 Transplant and pruning of ampelous pelargonium
- Transplantation of ampelous geranium spend in the spring and then only when the flower has grown strongly and its roots do not fit in the old pot. Basically, transplantation is carried out once every two years. If the plant is still placed in its old pot, then it is not transplanted, but simply replacing the top layer of soil.
- Cutting ampelous geraniums spend the opposite - in the fall, when the plant is preparing for winter rest. Pruning is needed in order to rejuvenate the plant and give it a more decorative form. Cut off all the exposed or stretched shoots, forming a compact bush. After a time, side shoots will appear and the plant will become thick. Pelargonium re-pruning is carried out in the spring if it has grown well over the winter. Proper pruning allows you to form a beautiful plant and achieve lush flowering.
3.6. Care of ampelous pelargonium ileum in autumn-winter period
- Proper care of the ampelous pelargonium in the autumn-winter period is give the plant a rest and do not disturb the excessive care. In order for the flower to fall asleep, the room where the flower is located must be cool. Lighting, on the contrary, should be bright and long-lasting. If pelargonium lacks light, its leaves and shoots will become weak and it will not be able to please later with lush greens and abundant flowering. Therefore, if necessary, it is necessary to provide her with additional lighting. Watering should be reduced, as the land dries out much longer in winter, and fertilizer is not needed during this period.
Fulfilling all these simple rules, you can grow Pelargonium ampellate ampelous at home, and lush flowering will delight the eye throughout the summer.