Grapes are not only edible, but also decorative. For the decoration of the cottage and the backyard, a wild variety of culture is often used. It is also called maiden or virgin, because for pollination this beautiful vine does not need the presence of a male specimen of the plant. Even in a photo or video, such grapes are easily recognizable by the characteristic foliage that becomes purple in the fall. Plant reproduction has several options: cuttings, seeds, layering. It is only important to wait for a good time for the procedure in the spring or in another suitable period of the year.
Preparation for grafting
The unpretentious parthenocissus (the scientific name of the culture) can be propagated by cuttings from early spring to late autumn. To do this, you do not even need to wait until after winter hibernation on the vine will awaken the buds or the leaves will unfold. Although some gardeners claim: a better time than September and October is not found. In the summer heat, young shoots will need shelter from sunlight and require abundant watering. In the spring, too, you need to take care of the soil moisture, and also to protect future vines from pests.
Attention! Cutting is considered a highly efficient method of reproduction, because the survival rate of the branches is almost 100%. This indicator can be achieved without the use of special stimulants.
Regardless of the season you choose, you will need to prepare the material correctly:
- In spring or early June, cut the woody sprout of last year into cuttings. If the nodes have the beginnings of future roots, which look like small outgrowths or antennae, such processes will take root faster than the others. Each stalk should have 2-4 full-fledged buds.
- From mid-summer to autumn you need to take the so-called molototoobraznye twigs. By this time last year's whip forms side shoots. When their bark begins to be coarse, it is necessary to cut the cuttings from each node, capturing a bit of maternal escape.
Rooting methods for cuttings of partenocissus
There are several options for how to dispose of the material received:
- Put in the water. Shank easily and quickly give roots. Essential nuance: when transplanting to a permanent place in the ground, they will die off and be replaced by other, more viable ones. Grapes well undergo such a transformation of the root system, but the time he spent in a container with water, will be spent in vain. Use this method only if you can not immediately settle parthenocissus into the soil.
- Root in a permanent place. This procedure is justified if the plot with cuttings will be isolated from other beds by a path or border. It is necessary to thoroughly irrigate and weed the area set aside for wild grapes. For the first couple of years, the aboveground part will develop slowly. In growth, it will go only after the roots firmly lie down to a depth of about 1 m. At first, the cuttings can be lost in the weeds. They can accidentally be torn out or trampled.
- Plant in separate containers. This option is considered the most practical in terms of the further development of parthenocissus. Individual containers should be 12-15 cm in diameter.
Technology rooting cuttings in pots
Planting the prepared cuttings in the ground is not very difficult, but it requires precise execution of all steps:
- fill the tank with a mixture of sour peat and river sand (3: 1),
- deepen the twig: spring (without leaves) - to a level just above the lower knot, summer - entirely along the line of coarse bark,
- a support should be installed in the pots and a young whip should be tied to it,
- water the plant.
Grow a seedling until the next spring. Plant care is simple - water regularly, do not allow to stay in the sun, at high temperatures and in drafts. In the cool and shade the soil will retain moisture longer. By April or a little later, the former stalk will grow viable roots and will be available for transplantation into open ground. The procedure can be carried out until August inclusive. Plan to work on a cloudy and not too hot day.
Attention! If the rooted girlish grape is not transplanted into the garden, he will be able to survive the second winter in the container. Just cut in the fall long shoots.
In the open, select a quiet, windless place for parthenocissus. The root system of the plant is quite stable in sub-zero temperatures. In extreme cases, cover the base of the vine with dry foliage or spruce branches, and on top with an inverted wooden box.
How to propagate partenocissus layering
Layer propagation is the most popular method for wild grapes. The gardener just needs to pick a healthy, strong shoot with young foliage and buds. It is best of all to carry out the work in the spring, at the moment when knots swell on the lashes and the buds are filled with young shoots. The process consists of the following steps:
- In a separate area in the root zone, loosen the earth. If the soil is poor, feed it with compost or peat.
- Dig a groove about 5 cm deep in the direction away from the plant. Escape should be placed in it in a natural way. If the whip is a curve, then the groove should be of a similar shape.
- Put escape into the ditch. It can not be separated from the parent plant. A part of a horizontally placed slider will slightly protrude above the ground level. Leaves must remain above ground.
- Secure the vines in the ground with small staples. You can even use hairpins.
- Shovel the escape. Water and regularly moisturize.
In this state, the layering should stay until the beginning of autumn. During this time, he will grow viable shoots. In September, cut off the whip from the adult parthenocissus and land at a new location. Both cuttings and cuttings are a convenient material for rooting wild grapes. The reproduction with their help of a beautiful ornamental plant will be within the reach of even novice gardeners.
Types and methods of reproduction
The most popular types of girlish grapes, which are properly called parthenocissus, are ivy-shaped or trioventricular and virginian or five-leafed. Both perennials have very beautiful leaves - in summer they are green and in autumn they are red or bright orange.
And so, and another method, you can start breeding girlish grapes already in the early spring, even if there are no leaves on it, right up to the winter itself. There is a third way - seed breeding, but rarely resorted to.
Photo: Girlish grapes
Propagating girlish grapes cuttings, be sure that they will take root.
The technology is as follows:
- We harvest 20-30 cm cuttings with four buds from the best shoots of the last year before the start of sap flow. Sometimes in the knots of the cutting there are small outgrowths - these are nascent roots, such blanks will grow faster. If it didn’t work to start breeding girlish grapes in spring, then in summer, we cut out the so-called molotose-shaped cuttings from the side shoots that grew from the knots of the whip last year. They are more powerful, especially if you take a billet of 2-3 knots brought together.
- Soak the planting material in the growth stimulator. Then they can be landed immediately in the ground at the support, which they should twist. This is easiest to do, if it were not for one propagation feature of girlish grapes by cuttings: since 2-3 years mainly develop roots and the plant remains weak from above, it can then be lost among the weeds, it can be easily trampled or cut at the same time with weeds. . Therefore, the best solution is planting cuttings in separate containers filled with sour peat with the addition of sand. When planting cuttings cut in spring, the soil should have a lower bud, and those harvested in summer should have the entire knot.
- Ties the cuttings to the supports installed in each pot, moistened.
- We place containers with seedlings in a shady, cool, sheltered from the wind place. Here they will stay until next spring or summer. It is not necessary to cover them for the winter, although with a very unfavorable prognosis, it is possible to throw leaves on the pots.
- We plant spring cuttings on the place intended for them in April, and the landing of summer billets continues through August. They will take root on any soil, but on the fertilized one is better. Liana is equally well developed on the south side, and on the south-east, south-west. In the north and west of the plot girlish grapes also take root, but the leaves will be somewhat smaller. Each year, the vine adds 3 meters in length, climbing high on a support and forming a solid green wall.
Photo: Girlish grapes
Reproduction by layering
If you visit your country house infrequently, then you will not be able to water the cuttings regularly, which means that this method of breeding girlish grapes does not suit you. An acceptable way out for you is reproduction by layering, as less troublesome.
- choose a whip length from one and a half to three meters,
- we make a 5 cm deep groove in the ground and add some peat to it,
- we lay the whip, fix it so that the nodes are pinned down,
- we fall asleep to the whip with the primer, but we leave the leaves on top, water it
The rooting process lasts one to two seasons. After the appearance of new shoots on them, the cuttings should be separated from the main bush and transplanted to the right place at the end of August or in autumn.
The girlish grape is an ideal plant for vertical gardening. Let him go to your plot and he will transform him in a magical way.
Reproduction of this plant cuttings is the most acceptable way for many gardeners. This method can be used from early spring to mid-autumn.
For grafting take a long lignified plant liana. You can choose last year's growth. This liana is divided into pieces about 15 centimeters long. Preference should be given to cuttings with outgrowths. Such cuttings can settle down faster.
It can also be propagated in the summer with the help of green cuttings. They are engaged in their preparation in the middle of summer. For this purpose, cuttings with three nodes on the trunk should be selected. This is necessary for the rapid growth of new roots.
If you place the cuttings with a substrate of a mixture of peat and clay, the rooting of new vines will pass especially quickly. Planting green cuttings in the ground goes like this:
- The first internode is buried in the ground.
- Make the seedling support.
- It is necessary to choose a place for landing without wind and drafts.
- It should be regularly watered young seedlings.
- The following year, seedlings are transferred to a permanent place.
If you keep the cuttings in a container with water, the roots of the plant will give a little later.
Compared to the first two methods, this one will be longer, but nevertheless also allow grow beautiful green creepers. In the spring, it is much easier to use this method: it is enough to harden the seeds in the refrigerator and sow in the prepared soil.
In the fall, planting seeds with a seed is required to clear them of pulp and rind. After that, the seeds are soaked for a day in warm water. Then proceed to planting seeds, dropping them into the ground by two centimeters. For planting seeds, you can buy peat pots, which will help you to move plants to a permanent place without further worries.
Seedlings need constant care. The soil in the pots constantly moistened with a spray gun so that it does not dry out. After seed germination during the entire warm period, seedlings are carried out to the open air for hardening. Once the seedlings reach a height of twenty centimeters closer to the fall, they can be transplanted into open ground.
The rules of planting grapes
Planting any plant, including this one, starts with soil preparation. Ground digging about a week before the estimated date of planting. When digging, a spade bayonet should be submerged into the ground by twenty centimeters.
For planting dig a deep hole and make it drainage of large crushed stone or broken brick. A soil mix of sand, peat and leafy earth in the ratio of 1: 2: 2 is poured for drainage. When planting plants root neck should be located at ground level. The distance between two seedlings must be at least one meter. Seedlings must be placed in the hole with a slight slope.
Seedlings can be purchased in a specialized store or nursery. It is better to acquire graft seedlings for faster engraftment and growth. These seedlings can be planted on the site during the whole season.
Before landing should to moisten with water beforehand. When placing the seedlings in the planting pit, it is necessary to straighten the root system and place the seedlings at an optimal distance from each other.
Extra care and trimming
For the cultivation of this plant does not require special knowledge of reproduction and care. Additional fertilizing in the form of mineral fertilizers should be made only to obtain a developed vegetative mass. Mineral fertilizers are usually applied in May and July. Fertilizers are applied per square meter.
After the seedling is transferred to the open ground, it grows extremely slowly in height. This is due to the formation of the root system. But after the age of three, the vine is able to add three meters per season. To keep the plant on any surface help the antennae. In young plants they are absent, so the seedlings need a garter to support.
Pruning is necessary for the plant to give the shape and direction of the desired vines. This procedure is performed using a garden pruner. For this purpose, the main shoot is cut at a meter height. Shoots located on the sides of the plants are tied in the right direction until they are completely woody.
When the formation of vines is completed, the plant will need to carry out sanitary pruning. For this purpose, diseased or damaged and weak shoots are removed from the plant. For the formation of high-quality crown should remove excess shoots. If you skip the time of pruning, then all the shoots will be woven together, and it will be necessary to carry out a full pruning of the plant.
Disadvantages and advantages of plants in the garden
Among the obvious advantages of this plant can be noted no harmful insects throughout the entire period of his life. The plant is also not exposed to pathogenic viruses and bacteria. Therefore, gardeners do not need to be treated with chemicals of this plant.
The plant is very plastic and can take any form in the process of its growth. That is why gardeners can apply it to the design of any garden structures. It is frost resistant, so it is extremely popular among gardeners in our country. It differs from other tribesmen by its unpretentious care.
In addition to all the above advantages, it is possible to highlight the fact that the vines of this plant serve as an excellent protection for the walls of buildings from natural precipitation. If on the walls of the building some defects form over time, the dense green of the vines will help to hide them.
Liana can grow in sunny and shady areas. Color of foliage in the fall depends on illumination of a site. In areas of sunlight, the foliage may be red or purple. In the shade, the plant may remain with green leaves until winter frosts occur. Flowers of the plant do not cause allergies, which is an undeniable advantage for people with this disease.
Of the obvious shortcomings of this plant can be identified only rapid growth. This forces gardeners to carry out frequent formative trimming of the crown.
Choosing a landing site
When choosing a place to land, you should remember, what:
- The foundation of a building when planting grapes may eventually be destroyed by its strong root system.
- The rapidly growing root system of this plant can drown out a number of growing crops.
- When planting around buildings vines can penetrate under the roof, violating the integrity of the material.
- When planting near the gutter in the fall in the fall foliage can cause clogging.
The best place for planting a decorative grape variety can be considered as places along fences, along tracks in parks, around arbors.
How to propagate girlish grape layers?
This option is most suitable if you are not able to visit the garden plot every day. The fact is that this breeding method does not provide for regular watering.
You will need to choose a long escape. Let the length be at least three meters. Then dig through a groove 5 centimeters deep and place an escape in it. Separate it from the parent plant is not necessary. In those places of the whip, where the nodules with the leaves extending from them are located, carefully pin the liana. You only need to cover the ground with a lash, and the leaves should remain on the soil surface. Carefully pour the groove. For quality rooting will require at least two seasons.
You can grow liana and seed. But in time this process will take much longer than the first two options. Plant grapes in this way maiden, the seeds of which need special treatment, both in spring and in autumn. Если посадка проводится в осенний период, то с семян вначале снимают мякоть и кожуру, а затем - высаживают, заглубляя примерно на 2 сантиметра. Перед осенней посадкой семена рекомендуется замочить и оставить их в воде на полные сутки.Before spring planting, they must be stratified (just hold in the refrigerator). How to propagate girlish grapes, now you know.
Plant wild grapes
Planting maiden grapes begins with the preparation of the soil. The plant prefers cultivated land, so you need to take care of this in advance. About a week before the planned landing, the soil needs to be dug up. A spade bayonet must be submerged for at least 20 centimeters. Next you need to dig a deep and wide hole - 50x60 centimeters. At the bottom you need to place broken brick or large crushed stone with a layer thickness of 20 centimeters, to subsequently provide the plant with good drainage. The pit is filled with a soil mixture of the following composition: leaf soil, peat compost and sand in the following proportional ratio - 2: 2: 1. When the maiden grapes are planted directly, the root neck of the plant should be located at ground level. The distance between two copies should be one meter - this is the optimal figure. When planting a seedling, it should be placed at the very center of the planting pit, but at the same time it should be given a slight slope.
Some rules of planting vines
It is not always possible to grow your own planting material. But if you still decide to plant this decorative liana on your plot, then you can buy seedlings. Experts recommend contacting specialized stores or nurseries.
When purchasing a container with girlish grapes, make sure that the plant has been grafted. It does not play a special role, just such a vine will take root and begin to develop much faster.
Container seedlings can be planted throughout the garden season. Before you reach the plant, you must carefully water the soil ball. By placing the girlish grapes in the planting pit, make sure that the root system is completely flattened and fit freely there.
Growing maiden grapes does not require the use of any special knowledge. Standard agrotechnical measures, including watering and feeding, will be quite enough.
The girlish grapes (the photos are presented in the article) do not need additional dressing, but if you decide to get a powerful growth of the vegetative mass, then you should add mineral fertilizers to the plant. This is best done in the spring - in May, and in the summer - in July. These are the months when the vine is most responsive. Here you can use the usual nitroammofosku (50 grams per square meter) or Kemiru Universal (100 grams per square meter).
How to propagate girlish grapes and how to properly land it, now you know. It's time to talk about caring for the plant.
After planting, the sapling grows rather slowly, because at first the plant spends all its strength in forming the root system. But upon reaching the age of three, the vine for the season adds an average of 3 meters. The shoots of girlish grapes have antennae, with which they are held on any surface. Young plants do not have those, so they need support and tying.
In the first years after planting, special attention is paid to the formation of the plant skeleton, so that it visually acquires the necessary shape. Pruning will also guide the growing creeper in the direction you want. How can I do that? With the help of a garden pruner, at about a meter height, the main shoot is pruned. At the same time, the side shoots are given the necessary direction by tying them until they are fully woody.
After the formation of creepers is completed, sanitary pruning is annually carried out - removal of weak or damaged shoots. You also need to cut and extra shoots that only interfere with the qualitative growth of the crown.
Taking into account the very fast growth rate of the plant, it is impossible to skip pruning. Otherwise, it turns out a very dense interweaving of the shoots, which can be brought into a decent look only by the method of complete trimming.
Pros and cons of plants
Probably the most important positive feature of the plant is the almost complete absence of any pests on the vine. Diseases also bypass him, so chemical treatments are not required.
The plant is very plastic and can take any given form. That is why it is valued most in landscape design. In our country, its enormous popularity is explained quite simply - girlish grapes perfectly tolerate even extreme cold. And if other ornamental vines simply freeze, then girlish grapes after a severe winter grow only more actively. In addition, the plant is so unpretentious that it will feel great in any place.
Previously, many believed that the thickets of wild grapes, winding around the walls of the structure, cause irreparable damage to them. But this turned out to be a mistake, as time showed the opposite - vines serve as an excellent natural protection of walls against the effects of wind, rain and snow. In addition, they hide structural defects.
There is only one minus in a plant - too rapid growth and the need for frequent formative pruning. But this is such a trifle compared to the pleasure that you will experience from resting in the shade of its foliage.
Overview of the main breeding methods
There are several ways to breed wild grapes. Each of them has certain features. Having chosen the most suitable, you can safely proceed to this process. Propagated by seed. Root and lateral processes can also be used. The grafting is also effective.
Creepers are able to grow both on sheer surfaces and to travel along the ground. At the same time, new offspring with a developed crown and root system are formed. It is possible to propagate a wild plant in this way. To do this, just need to transplant the layers and leave the root neck on the surface.
This method is most popular. This is due to the fact that effort from the gardener is practically not required. Simply select the appropriate escape and place it in a well prepared hole in advance. In summer, virgin grapes will begin to grow rapidly. At the same time he does not need special care.
Experienced gardeners often use seeds collected in the fall for the purpose of landscaping the site. This method takes a lot of time and effort, but the result is worth it.
The main thing is to choose and prepare planting material, grow strong seedlings and plant them in a timely manner in open ground.
The cutting is done according to certain rules. To plant vines, you must first prepare the planting material. It is extremely important to properly plant the plants so that they can actively grow and develop. In addition, you need to choose the right time to perform all the manipulations.
Deadlines for Procurement
Cultivation of vines by cuttings can be started already in early spring and carried out before the onset of frost in the autumn period. It is not necessary to wait until the buds awaken after the winter and the leaves begin to unfold.
Some gardeners believe that the first half of autumn is the best period for cutting. Hot summer shoots will need shelter from the sun and plenty of watering. In spring, the soil moisture deserves special attention. In addition, creepers will need to be protected from pests. In the autumn, such problems do not arise.
Technology of harvesting and selection of cuttings
If you are going to grape grapes in spring or in the first half of summer, you need to take lignified lashes of the last year. If at the same time the presence of future roots, which are antennae or outgrowths, is noted in the nodes, the thin processes will be able to root much faster. At the same time, each of the cuttings must have at least two full-fledged buds.
If the plants breed in the second half of summer or in the autumn, you need to get molotope-shaped cuttings. Last year's whip is already beginning to form side shoots. At the moment when the crust begins to be roughened, cuttings from each node should be cut with the help of a garden pruner. At the same time a small part of the maternal escape is captured.
It is important that the planting material is not rotten, moldy. It should not have any signs of disease. The thickness of the cut in diameter should be as high as half a centimeter.
Options for the use of planting material, there are several:
- Rooting in the water. Shanks quickly begin to give roots, but after transplanting into the ground, they die off and are gradually replaced by stronger ones. Plants survive this transformation quite well, but the time they spend in the water turns out to be wasted. It is recommended to resort to this method only if it is not possible to plant directly into the soil.
- Root immediately in the garden. If the cuttings are planted on a separate plot isolated from other beds, this method can be used. The area that was chosen for planting the grapes is weeded and irrigated. Over the course of a couple of years, the plants will grow slowly. Intensive development will begin after they lie down one meter deep.
- Landing in separate tanks. The method is considered the most practical. Containers are used, the diameter of which varies in the range of 12-15 centimeters. Tanks are filled with a mixture of peat and sand in a ratio of 3: 1. After that, they are placed cuttings.
It is worth noting that wild grapes quickly take root, and in addition to use a root stimulator is not necessary.
Reproduction intricacies of root layers
The method of propagation of grapes by root layers is quite simple. In order for the plant to stick well, it is enough to choose the right time to perform all the necessary manipulations and find a suitable escape.
Spring is considered to be the best period for breeding vines. By this time, the nodes already swell on the loops, and young shoots start to peck up from the buds. In addition, the root growth will have time to get stronger before the onset of cold weather and survive the winter without any problems. Later application of this method can be detrimental to the plant.
How to choose a suitable escape
At the bottom of the liana you need to find a long enough shoot. Its length should be at least three meters. When planting material is selected, you should dig a groove, the depth of which is about five centimeters. The selected part of the grapes is placed in it, but it is not separated from the mother vine.
On those parts of the plant where there are nodules with leaves, you need to carefully pin the whip. At the same time, it is necessary to sprinkle with earth only a run - on remains on the surface. After a couple of seasons, the plant will root properly.
Department of lateral processes
The method is applied in the spring and in the first half of the summer. Sufficiently developed lateral processes are separated from the main shoot. They are immediately placed in the ground to a depth of about half a meter and sprinkled with earth. In the future, the plants are watered abundantly so that they actively develop the root system. Rooting occurs quickly. The following year, an intensive growth of lashes and the emergence of new processes are observed.
Receipt and selection of seed material
Ripe fruit is harvested for seed production. These manipulations are performed in the second half of September. After that, the berries spread on a dry surface and dried for three weeks. Then the skin of the fruit is cut and the seeds are removed. They must be washed, dried, taken away whole, without defect specimens and placed in a paper envelope.
Before sowing, planting material needs special preparation - stratification. One and a half months before the seeds are placed in the soil, the following actions are performed:
- The tank is filled with sand.
- Moisturize it by using a spray bottle.
- Seeds are placed in the sand.
- Cover the container with a film and put in a cool place. The air temperature should be about five degrees.
- During the period of stratification, the sand is systematically moistened.
The timing and subtleties of sowing
The best option is the sowing of seeds in the spring, but it is allowed to perform such manipulations in the fall. To this end, the soil is poured into the boxes, planting material is placed in them and sprinkled on top of the soil.
After a couple of weeks after the emergence of shoots do not forget to pick the seedlings and transfer them into separate containers.
After reaching a height of fifty centimeters, the plants are transplanted into open ground. At the same time perform the following actions:
- Dig holes in the depths of up to forty centimeters. The distance between them is kept within a meter.
- The soil from the holes is mixed with compost and sand.
- On the bottom lay drainage.
- A small amount of soil is piled over the drainage.
- Seedlings planted at an angle.
- Fall asleep prepared mixture.
Mature plants do not need special care. In the meantime, seedlings are very small, they need to create favorable conditions:
- Weed weeds.
- Loosen the soil.
- Mulch with peat, but in moderation.
- In the absence of rain pour water every week.
Twisting creepers are able to decorate any infield. They are unpretentious and able to settle down in almost any climatic conditions. The main thing, taking up the breeding of these plants, follow all recommendations. Then it will be possible to grow beautiful wild grapes.
How to shape a girl's grapes
- If shoots grow in the wrong direction, they need to be cut,
- It is recommended to tie it to the support,
- When a young plant grows up and takes the desired shape, it will only be necessary to periodically remove faded or unnecessary shoots. The cut is made over a healthy kidney.
DevichiThis grape multiplies very easily, grows quickly and thickens.. Therefore, you need to monitor him and periodically shear thickened areas.
Propagation of girlish grapes
A week before planting the land should be prepared. To do this, loosen the top layer of soil and dig a hole half a meter deep. At the bottom of a thick layer to lay drainage. For this purpose, suitable large crushed stone and broken bricks. The recommended soil composition is as follows: peat compost, leaf soil and sand in a ratio of 2: 2: 1. Arrange seedlings at a distance of 1 meter from each other. Grapes are immersed in the ground so that the root neck is at ground level. It is also necessary to carefully straighten the roots. If you purchase seedlings in the store, it is recommended to take grafted planting material. Such plants take root and grow faster.
You can plant grapes in several ways:
It is propagated by seeds, root suckers, layering and cuttings. When planting, the preferred place will always be sunny, but partial shade will do. You will also need support for branching vines. The plant will create good coolness. for the room in the summer, and in the winter will serve as warming.
To plant the seeds, they need to germinate and then harden. To do this, leave them in cold water for 5 hours, then move them into a wet substrate and put them in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Only after that they are planted in the ground.
Propagate root suckers easy enough. They are removed from the shoots, dig a small hole and planted.
To plant the plant layers, you need to choose a long branch with them. Dig a small hole, prikopat area with the kidneys. Then you just need to water and wait for the roots to appear. After rooting, the processes need to be seated.
Reproduction of grapes cuttings
Landing recommended in the spring. But you can and the whole summer season and until the fall. For reproduction by cuttings from a plant, in spring they take a shoot that has woody from last year, it is desirable that it be with small outgrowths in place of the roots. The branch must be chopped into individual cuttings so that each has at least 2 nodes. The percentage of survival rate of such cuttings is almost very high. If the cuttings are taken in the summer, the seedlings are thicker, since there are already side shoots on their nodes.
Rooting cuttings grapes can be in three ways: in water, in the ground and disembarkation in containers.
- Rooting in the water. In water, the plant takes root well. But after landing in the ground such roots will adapt for a long time. The plant itself at this moment will not develop at all. This method of reproduction is used only when it is not possible to plant the plant in the ground.
- Rooting in the ground. If you plant the plant immediately into the ground, then you need to take good care of him. Namely, water, weed and provide seedlings with a separate plot using a curb or in another way. At first, the plant will grow roots to a depth of one meter, and its upper part will grow very slowly. It will take 2-3 years before the plant will actively give shoots. It is not recommended to plant grapes on the beds, as the plant will weave into a ball on the ground.
- Rooting in the container. It is best to plant the grapes in separate containers and grow so throughout the year. Молодые черенки без листьев погружают в грунт до нижнего узла, если уже есть одревеснение, то его погружают полностью, оставив на поверхности зеленую часть растения. Для контейнерного укоренения используют торф с добавлением песка в пропорции 1:4. В контейнер поставить опору и привязать к ней листья. Полить виноград. Контейнер убирают в прохладное место и регулярно поливают. Освещение сеянцам не нужно.On the following year in the spring grapes are planted in open ground. But if necessary, you can leave for another year in containers. You only need to make sure that the shoots are not confused, and shear them. The maiden grape is a frost-resistant plant, but it is better to provide them with a windless place to lay snow. So that the plant does not freeze, you can sprinkle the ground with foliage and cover with boards.
How to propagate girlish grapes, and what method to choose for this depends on the conditions and possibilities that you have. But the best option would be, of course, cuttings in separate containers.
Making a hedge
The reproduction of girlish grapes is a fascinating process, you only need to care for the plant and trim it in time, giving it a beautiful shape. In response to care, the plant will thank its owner with a chic view of the dacha.
Girlish grapes are also used to create hedges. In the spring, the plant is actively releasing shoots and is already becoming a lush wall. In this spectacular form of grapes will stay until late autumn, and therefore there is half a year to enjoy the lush view of the plant. Maiden grape hedge - it's a good wayto dissociate itself from the neighbors. In addition, the plant allows you to create any shape, and this is a great opportunity for landscape design.
After wintering, the plant is restored again and takes on a chic look. The hedge will be pleasing to the eye for many years. The plant is able to cover a large area in a year, its vines grow quickly.
To create such a fence, a small support is enough and the direction of growth in the right direction. Next you only need to adjustl shoots as they grow. And you need to be prepared for the fact that the grapes are actively releasing new shoots after pruning. To restrain the rampage of the plant, you need to regularly trim it. But we must remember that in winter the plant can not be cut, especially dried up places. The consequences may be irreversible for grapes.
Features of girlish grapes
Appreciate it for its decorative appearance - from early summer to late autumn, the bush starts up new shoots, and the dense crown creates shadow, bears the function of a hedge or a green shield for the walls of buildings.
- It grows on any soil. But it is better to choose refined areas with good drainage, slightly alkaline or weakly acidic soil.
- For 2 years it reaches 3 meters in height. The maximum length of vines is 25 meters.
- Unpretentious to care, does not require frequent watering.
- Not afraid of pests and diseases.
- It has a long lifespan and is not afraid of frost.
- It develops well in the shade (the leaves will remain in the green range before winter) and in sunny areas (the foliage takes on shades from rich orange to purple).
- The base of the bush does not take up much space, but the green part can cover large areas, serves as a barrier against wind, sun and dust.
- Hypoallergenic plant, but attracts birds.
- Plastic lianas allow you to give the crown any shape and direct their growth in the right direction.
- Very easy to multiply.
Despite a lot of advantages, before reproducing girlish grapes, it is necessary to consider the place of its future habitat. Often girlish grapes used to decorate the facades. However, it is worth recalling that in this case there is some risk:
- strong grape roots can destroy the foundation
- the root system develops quickly and aggressively, can suppress near growing plants and cultures,
- do not recommend planting near rare shrubs, trees and within the garden,
- creepers can penetrate under the roofing material, thereby violating its integrity,
- leaf litter clogs gutters.
It is better to plant wild grapes along fences, around arbors, over garden paths, having prepared in advance the supports.
It is better to plant wild grapes along fences, around arbors, over garden paths
Reproduction and seating of girlish grapes
To propagate the parent plant in several ways:
- offspring rhizomes.
Planting time does not have a strict framework. This is done both in spring and autumn. Experienced gardeners recommend planting or propagating wild grapes in September-October. In this case, before winter, the plant will have time to take root and settle down, and by the beginning of summer it will actively grow.
Girlish grapes: reproduction by cuttings
Deciding to breed girlish grapes reproduction should begin cuttings. The procedure is performed from the middle of spring, when the buds are still waking up, until autumn, while the earth allows it to work. The procedure itself is not complicated, it is important to correctly cut the cuttings.
In the spring and until mid-June for breeding choose last year's stiffened vine. Cuttings called part of the vine with 2-4 healthy buds. Gardeners I advise you to take those parts, in the nodes of which small antennae are already noticeable - such cuttings rooted faster and easier. Even without the use of growth stimulants, parthenocissus seedling (the scientific name of wild grapes) takes root in almost 100% of cases.
In summer and autumn you can get molototoobnye cuttings. On the lash of the last year, new shoots are growing from each bud. When the bark at the base of young vines begins to get rude, such cuttings are pruned with a small piece of maternal shoot and planted.
The very process of landing on a permanent place is simple - dig a hole 15 cm in length, fill in drainage, compost earth or humus. A little sapling is lowered into the groove at an angle, sprinkled, so that 1-2 buds remain underground. Watering is necessary until you see an active growth of young leaves. Important: even before the landing of young plants, you need to organize a permanent support. After planting and rooting it will be difficult and dangerous for the plant. The distance between the bushes of grapes in a row - 2 meters.
Cuttings of wild grapes are pruned with a small piece of maternal shoots and planted in the soil.
The seeds of the plant are previously kept in a wet substrate for a week in the refrigerator or left for the winter in the attic (depending on the variety). Hardening improves germination. Before planting, seeds are soaked in water at room temperature (with the addition of wood ash) before swelling and sown in individual containers to a depth of 1 cm. When plants reach a height of 15-20 cm, seedlings are planted in a permanent habitat with support.
Reproduction method of root siblings
A mother plant often produces root shoots like cherries or plums. Separating a ready-made young plant, you can transplant it to a new place. It is necessary to ensure that the basal neck is not recessed. In the hole add crushed stone for drainage and nutrient mixture (peat, humus, compost, sand). Sapling watered. Between plants propagated in this way, the distance must be at least 150 cm.
The girlish grape is a beautiful, unpretentious and very beautiful plant. With minimal care, it quickly grows and takes on the shape you need. The main thing is not to forget about timely preventive pruning.