Veronica spikelet is a perennial and, depending on the variety, can grow from 15 to 60 cm. The stem of the plant is strong, straight and unbranched. He is thickly dotted with flowers. At the same time, Veronica's roots are thin and grow horizontally. The size of the leaves depends on their location on the stem, length from 1.5 to 8.5 cm, and width 0.3 to 3 cm. The edges are serrate-serrate.
Blossoms thick brush, which is narrowed to the top. Its length can be from 5 to 30 cm. Flowers of small size are kept on short, shaggy pedicels. The cup consists of four oblong lobes of different length. The most common are blue or bright blue flowers. But the corolla is purple, pink or white.
After flowering Veronica spiky forms rounded boxes with glandular hairs. Smooth, flat-convex egg-shaped seeds ripen in them. Their length is 0.75 mm and width 0.5 mm.
Flowering begins after the 10th of June and lasts about 35 days.
As an ornamental plant, Veronica spiky is widespread, therefore, in the people, in different places, she received many names. Often it is called the field lambs, sage of the field, snake grass, Andreeva grass, hanusok, cupola, bathozki, blue light.
Veronica - a flower that was used in the culture in 1570. Today it is a good decoration in mixborders. But often it is planted as a single flower.
Also in rocky gardens and near the hills Veronica looks good. The flower will bloom magnificently if it allocates a sunny patch. If you wish to combine with other plants, then it is in harmony with carnations, saxifrage, Dalmatian geraniums, stonecrop.
Veronica spiky: planting and plant care
You can plant this flower on your site with the help of cuttings or due to the division of the bush. Also, the plant grows well from seed. It is worth noting that the flower can give self-seeding. In open ground, seeds are sown in early autumn, when the temperature of the earth is about 15 ° C to a depth of 0.5 cm. Already in the second week there are sprouts. In order for the plant to grow and stick, it needs a light soil of medium humidity. But many gardeners say that Veronica is not so demanding on the land in which it grows.
A plant grown from seed can be transplanted to its permanent location, the following year at the end of summer or early September. Well if it will be a sunny plot or partial shade. Between each seedling, it is recommended to observe a distance of 30 - 50 cm. Veronika spiky blooms in the second year after sowing. Overgrown bush can be divided.
The plant does not need a winter shelter, as it calmly transfers frosts of central Russia. Veronica is also drought-resistant, although if rainy days are issued, it tolerates that. In spring, the flower is watered only when it is dry outside. Well, if you spend a little mulching around the bushes. Veronika spiky, varieties above 60 cm in need of tying to the support.
The plant may die from strong waterlogging in winter.
Use in traditional medicine
Veronika spiky is not only a beautiful decorative flower. It has healing properties and is popularly used during colds, tuberculosis, bronchitis, diseases of the liver, kidneys, stomach and bladder. Also, this plant facilitates rheumatism, the period of menopause, if there are internal bleeding, neurosis, insomnia, or with extreme fatigue. Some use this sort of Veronica for rashes and eczema.
This herb helps during these ailments, as it has anti-inflammatory, wound healing and hemostatic effect. To some extent spikelet Veronica has antibacterial properties.
Collection and preparation of raw materials
For recovery purposes, only the aerial part of the plant is used. You can start harvesting raw materials in July, the collection continues until September. The plant should be cut with sharpened scissors or sickle. Before drying, the harvested material is sorted. It is necessary to separate the yellowed parts and damaged stems. Fresh grass is laid out on a spacious area with a thin layer so that drying is uniform for both the lower and upper stems.
In order not to begin the decay of the plants and the fungus does not appear, it is recommended to turn the raw materials every day. Well-dried grass is not tamping to fold the fabric or paper bags. The medicinal plant retains its properties for 24 months, after which it loses its value.
Application of veronica
On the basis of this plant, it is possible to prepare useful broths and infusions. Here are some recipes:
- Take this infusion on ½ cup three times a day. For cooking you will need two tablespoons of crushed dry raw materials. Add two glasses of steep vara (400 ml) and wait two hours. The medicine is ready.
- To make a decoction in an enamel pot pour a glass of boiling water and put the grass (20 g). This medicine comes in a water bath for 15 minutes. Strain the already cooled drink. But this tool can be applied not only internally. If there is a rash, itching and other skin problems are done by bathing or rinsing.
Medicinal herbs are really able to help, but before proceeding with an independent herbal medicine it is better to consult a family doctor.
Growing Ornamental Culture
Decorate a flower garden with blooming veronika easy. It grows well and simply multiplies. The main requirements for growing crops are:
- landing in open sunny areas
- no accumulation of moisture in the soil.
Veronica does not tolerate shaded areas, but grows well in partial shade. For planting the plant is best to use neutral or with weak acidity of the soil. Because grass culture tolerates drought better than stagnant moisture, then experienced growers recommend to use drainage when planting. Rubble or pebbles are perfect for this purpose.
Grow spike perennial in a flower bed, you can use seed, bush dividing or cuttings. The plant multiplies well in any way. However, cultivation by the seed method does not guarantee the full preservation of varietal characteristics.
Vegetative reproduction of Veronica
Kuta division and grafting are the most popular ways of breeding Veronica among gardeners. This breeding helps save all varietal and species quality mother sample.
To grafting Veronica, it is necessary:
- cut off the young shoots with a sharp object,
- cut from the collected sprouts tops,
- land in a loose prepared substrate of peat, sand and perlite,
- after rooting, shoots can be planted in open soil.
Planted on a bed of cuttings in the summer should be covered with foil. Over time, the forging material is periodically removed for airing and adjusting the plant to light. During this period, regular watering of the plant is very important.
The division of the bush is carried out after the appearance of leaves in the spring or in autumn when the culture has already blossomed.
This breeding method should be carried out every five years to rejuvenate the herbaceous perennial. The method of dividing the bush is quite simple:
- dig up the whole plant from the ground
- divided into parts so that each has at least three basal shoots,
- plant the prepared parts of the plant in open ground.
If the separated parts of the plant are weak, it is recommended to place them in prepared soil with sand and peat for planting before rooting before planting. With this method of reproduction, the plant quickly takes root in a new area.
Veronika spiky grown seed blooms only in the second year after planting. In order to preserve the varietal peculiarity of the plant as much as possible, it is necessary to acquire only high-quality seed material or to collect the seeds yourself.
In October, seeds are planted in open ground or in spring in containers prepared with soil for seedlings. Seeds are planted in a flowerbed in pits with a depth of no more than 5 mm with a distance of 50 cm.
If next year seedlings are planned to be planted, then the interval between seeds can be reduced by 20 cm.
For growing seedlings in the spring hardening of seeds is carried out:
- seed is spread on a wetted soil substrate mixed with peat,
- from above sprinkle with soil and cover with a special film with holes,
- the seed container is placed in a cold place for twenty days,
- after tara with seeds put in a well-lit warm place.
Two weeks after this procedure, the first shoots sprout, which require periodic watering and ventilation, a bright place and warmth.
Ready seedlings Veronica spiky planted in a bed in the spring in the prepared soil. The holes are dug to the depth corresponding to the root system of the young ornamental culture. For branching plants should observe the distance between the seedlings 40 - 50 cm. Fertilizer, drainage and water are applied to each well.
Caring for Veronica
Spike Veronica is a beautiful plant with minimal care requirements. Grassy culture is well acclimatized and perfectly tolerates various weather conditions. Flower care with lush beautiful buds includes:
- moderate watering
- weeding the land from weeds,
- mulching the soil around the plant,
- fertilizing when grown on non-enriched soils,
- pruning after flowering
- garter of tall varieties of Veronica,
- rejuvenation of the bushes by dividing every 5 years.
Veronica spiky is practically not exposed to various pests and diseases. The only danger for her is excessive accumulation of moisture.. In such conditions, the plant may be exposed to infection. powdery mildew or spotting. In such cases, the diseased culture is treated with fungicides and drainage is done to prevent moisture from collecting in the soil. The spike plant has good frost resistance and does not require shelter for the winter.
With the help of Veronica the spiky one can artistically decorate any flower garden. The advantage of the plant is not only beauty, but also its simplicity and ability to grow in various weather conditions.
Flower Veronica: description of the plant, the characteristics of the main varieties
Veronica is a herbaceous rhizomatous perennial. The plant is represented by a large variety of varieties and varieties, each of which differs in height, external characteristics, including color and shape of leaves, flowers and even rhizomes (the roots are both thin and long, and quite powerful and short, there are even threadlike).
The people of the plant are known by other names, including “Forget-me-not”, “snake grass” and so on. The stems of the plant are straight, or in some cases creeping from a few centimeters to 1.5 m in height. sometimes unusual light gray.
Openwork flowers of the plant are presented in a rich range of shades: in blue (natural color), white, pink, etc. They are collected in small spike or paniculate inflorescences. The duration of the flowering period of Veronica depends on the characteristics of a particular variety.
Council If you want to achieve the longest possible veronica flowering period in your garden, you need to optimally combine the cultivation of several of its varieties that differ in terms of flowering.
The species diversity of the plant makes it possible to choose the best option for both home conditions and for cultivation in the open field. The following varieties can be distinguished:
- Drug. A perennial soil-growing plant with small pale green leaves and neat decorative flowers of lilac, pink and blue hues.
- Longleaf Powerful tall plant (one of the tallest in the genus Veronica). The inflorescence of the plant is rather long, with a striking light purple color. It has a long flowering period: throughout the summer until the beginning of autumn. Enjoys an incredible popularity among gardeners, not only because of its decorative, but also healing properties, in particular, the variety is an excellent antiseptic.
- Caucasian. The leaves of the plant are dissected, painted in bright green. Flowers have an unusual lilac color and thin purple stripes.
- Gentian Low-growing plant with thin stems, on which grow delicate white flowers, the petals of which are covered with small blue stripes.
- Woody. It is a small creeping plant with greenish-gray leaves and pink flowers.
- Crimean. Dwarf variety (only 20 cm tall) with small light green leaves and blue flowers.
- Gray. Unusual undersized variety with gray-blue leaves and bright blue inflorescences.
The process of reproduction of Veronica is carried out in 3 ways: by seeds, cuttings or by dividing the bush. Seed method is considered quite troublesome, but it is the best option for those who want to get a healthy shrub with full signs of the variety. Seeds can either be sown directly in the ground in the fall, or in the spring, plant prepared seedlings.
If sowing is planned for seedlings, preparation of planting material should be started ahead of time. At the end of winter, the seeds must be wrapped in wet gauze and placed in a refrigerator for 25-30 days.
Add nutrient soil to the containers, then place the seeds not very deep in the ground. It is desirable to arrange them one by one in a separate pot or at a distance of about 5-7 cm from each other in a large container. Seeds should be sprinkled with a thin layer of soil and moistened.
Be sure to cover all the transparent film containers and place them in heat. When the sprouts are sufficiently ascended (height about 8 cm), it is possible to plant in the open ground. Do not forget some time before this harden the seedlings, occasionally exposing it to fresh air.
The division of the bush - a simple way to help achieve flower stalks in the first year after planting. It is important to choose the right shoots. The bush should be the most tall and completely healthy. Separate several shoots and plant them in the ground. Be sure to cover them with special material. After 10-12 days, remove it and continue growing plants as usual.
Propagation by cuttings will allow you to successfully grow Veronica from a small shoot about 10 cm long. For some time you should put it in water so that the cutting will sprout, after which you can plant in open ground.
Planting in open ground
The plant is considered quite unpretentious to the conditions of cultivation, therefore, when choosing a suitable site for growing Veronica in open ground, it is not necessary to make a hard selection: the plant will suit both heavy clay soil, loose sandstone, and marshy soil.
The planting of a young plant or seed must be carried out in a moist and properly loosened soil pre-enriched with nutritious organic matter.
The combination of Veronica with other plants
Veronica is often used as an excellent group plant that can be used as one of the main decorative elements in alpine gardens, flowerbeds and mixborders. The main purpose of using Veronica in landscape design is to give the garden plot ease and ease. Veronica is suitable for growing near the borders, where not every plant can survive.
A great combination of plants in the garden will be with a buzulnik, badan, etc. By the way, even such a simple combination like Veronica and chamomile will create harmony on any part of the garden.
That's all the subtleties that need to be considered when growing Veronica in open ground. Good luck!
1 Features of the plant
Veronica spiky - high, perennial culture. Wild plant prefers open forest glades and sunny places. These facts need to be considered when growing it in the garden.
The description of the plant is as follows:
- stem length from 15 to 80 cm with pubescence, lightly branched,
- the upper leaves are whole and pointed, without a petiole, and the lower ones are round and petiolate,
- the flowers are collected in the inflorescence brush, the corolla can be blue, white, pink,
- plant blooms from the first summer month for 30-45 days,
- The fruit of Veronica the spikelet is a box with long and smooth seeds,
- The plant has a rhizome located horizontally in the upper layers of the ground level.
Decorative flowering allows you to use the culture in landscape design.
2 Grades of Veronica spiky
Breeders have deduced many varieties that differ in the color of the corolla and morphological features.
Information about them is collected in the following table.
Все сорта вероники колосистой подходят для оформления каменистых горок, бордюров, прекрасно смотрятся возле маленьких искусственных водоемов.
3.1 Размножение вегетативными органами
Для этого метода садоводы используют следующие способы:
- 1. Деление куста. Удачно применяется во время пересадки многолетника и с целью омоложения растения. Процедура проводится весной до распускания листьев или осенью после цветения.
Этапы размножения следующие:
- prune above-ground shoots
- dig a bush
- split into pieces so that each had 2-3 shoots,
- put in the ground in a new place.
2. Reproduction by cuttings. This method can be applied throughout the growing season. The procedure is as follows:
- cut the apical shoots up to 10 cm,
- shorten the tops and put in the water
- prepare a substrate of peat, sand and perlite,
- plant prepared cuttings in it,
- after rooting, transplant the plant to a permanent place.
3.2 Seed propagation
Using this method, flowering will have to wait until next year. Seeds are planted in two ways:
- 1. In the open ground. The procedure is carried out in the autumn before the onset of frost. It is necessary to make grooves with a depth of up to 5 mm and arrange the seeds in them at a distance of 30-40 cm. In the spring after germination, plant seedlings in a permanent place.
- 2. At home. Plant the seeds in boxes, sprinkle with a thin layer of soil and cover with plastic wrap. The first shoots will appear in two weeks.
For successful germination need stratification. Therefore, after sowing the seeds, the box should be placed in the refrigerator or cellar for 21 days. Then move to a bright and warm window.
Care for small seedlings normal: watering, loosening and feeding.
4 Planting a plant
Transferring seedlings of plants to open ground involves the following actions:
- 1. Before planting seedlings, it is necessary to prepare nutrient and loose soil.
- 2. Holes to do with the size of the root system of plants.
- 3. Leave about 45-50 cm between seedlings.
- 4. Water the wells and plant Veronica.
It remains to take care of immature plants and wait for their lush flowering.
5 Care culture
Veronica is not whimsical, so grow it is not difficult and novice florist. The following tips and advice will help:
- Culture should be located in an open, sunny place.
- Water as the soil dries, avoiding stagnant moisture.
- To preserve the moisture of the substrate use mulching. This technique will prevent abundant weed growth.
- If the soil is fertile, then additional fertilizing is not required. It is recommended to apply complex fertilizer to the poor.
- The plant is rarely attacked by pests, but at high humidity it can be affected by powdery mildew and rust.
- Tall varieties better tie.
- After flowering, pruned to grow new young shoots.
- Once in 5 years it is recommended to rejuvenate the plant by dividing the bush.
- Veronica spiky does not need shelter for the winter, she perfectly tolerates frost.
The unpretentious plant quickly occupies new territories, withstands even trampling and for a long time pleases with beautiful flowering.
Veronika spiky - beautiful and enduring garden perennial. Propagate the plant is easy. For this you can use cuttings and seeds. The simple rules of agrotechnology allow you to grow a crop with an unusual appearance and bright buds.
The plant is resistant to harsh winters, Veronica, grown for decorative purposes, and for the preparation of medicinal decoctions. There are more than 500 species known for garden planting. In nature, there is no such diversity, but wild species are also not small. There are perennial, annual and shrub species, each of which is diluted varietal diversity.
Despite its belonging to the family of plantains, the appearance is very different from the main representative - the plantain. Veronica is common in areas with a temperate climate, it is found in the foothills of the Altai, in the forests of Siberia and the Urals. Her ears adorn meadows around the world, and gardeners love for unpretentious care and the ability to live with other plants.
Features agronomy Veronica: cultivation and care
Veronika is loved by gardeners for its unpretentiousness, the lack of special techniques, the variety of species and varieties. If Veronika is chosen as a resident of the flowerbed, then you should remember the basic rules for any perennial plant.
Important requirements that do not get around:
- The sunny side of the site where the light will be present from morning to evening. Shady and half-shaded areas will not give those decorative properties that are declared by breeders.
- Pay attention to watering: each type requires a certain amount of water. When breeding Veronica you need to get acquainted not only with decorative value, but also the conditions of care. Herbaceous creeping species do not tolerate drought, die without water, flowering stops. Upright tall species can easily endure drought and heat.
- Liquid organic fertilizers in the period of budding and flowering are used as top dressing. In nature and wild breeding, it is excellent without additional feeding. Soil nutrients are sufficient for growth and flowering. Beds with depleted soil can be fed organic matter: humus, manure, an infusion of nettle and burdock.
- Tall bushes need a garter. Thin stem does not withstand the pressure of the wind, which can not only tilt down, depriving the aesthetic appearance, but also break. Suitable rods, fence, willow branches.
- In the autumn after the end of flowering, the ground part is cut off, the roots are additionally covered with humus, peat, dry foliage, and spruce branches, creating a pillow that will protect from abnormally low temperatures.
Methods of reproduction Veronica
For breeding Veronica use 3 ways:
Veronica's germinated seed photo
Despite the bustle of the seed method, it is used in the case when they want to get a healthy independent shrub with clean varietal characteristics. It is also an opportunity to improve the planting material and increase its quantity rather cheaply.
Seeds are sown directly in the ground in the fall or spring veronica grown on the windowsill seedling method.
Thickly sprouting seedlings thinned out, creating gaps between the bushes from 20 to 50 cm, depending on the species. Tall plants need more space for growth.
How to grow Veronica seedlings at home
Veronica plant growing from seed to seedlings photo
In February, the seeds of Veronica are moistened and kept in the refrigerator in a wet cloth, wrapped in a bag, for about a month.
- We take out the seeds that have undergone stratification in the refrigerator in order to plant them already in March.
- Fill containers or cups with nutritious soil.
- The seeds of Veronica, albeit small, but allow you to sow them one by one, so do not be lazy and place one seed in a cup or 5 cm apart from each other in a container.
- Sprinkle with a thin layer of earth, moisturize.
- Cover with foil before germination.
- At emergence of shoots the shelter we clean, we locate seedling on a light window sill.
- Watering is carried out as the soil dries; there must be holes in the container to drain off excess water.
- When the seedlings appear 8-10 true leaves, it can be planted in the ground.
Veronica seedling ready for planting photo
Before planting, seedlings are hardened, accustoming them to the air and the sun. This should be done one to two weeks before the planned disembarkation, gradually increasing the time spent on the street to full days.
Autumn planting seeds in open ground subject to seed stratification (cold test).
Spring sowing requires artificially created conditions of exposure to cold for 1-2 months. After that, the seeds are immersed in the ground, no deeper than 2 cm, so that germination is not difficult.
Dividing bush considered a fast and convenient way of breeding. Peduncles will be in the first year of planting. Choose the largest bush, separate several shoots with a shovel or garden knife. After moving to a new place, the bushes are covered for successful adaptation. After ten days, the covering material is removed, giving the bushes independent growth. Usually the procedure is carried out before flowering, in spring, or after - in early autumn.
Reproduction Veronica cuttings photo
Reproduction by cuttings passes by cutting from a healthy bush shoot length of 10 cm. Give germinate in water, and then planted in a permanent place.
How to propagate Veronica cuttings photo
You can hold the cuttings for several hours in a solution of the root and place in a nutrient soil for germination. But in this case it is necessary to create greenhouse conditions by closing the cuttings with a plastic bag before rooting.
We multiply veronica cuttings photo
The procedure is performed in August, then the sprout will have time to take root and harden in the ground before winter. The following year, the bush will delight excellent flowering.
The beauty of Veronica, its species diversity will appeal to any gardener.
Veronica landing and care photos Veronica surculosa
Due to its natural endurance, Veronica is rarely affected by infections. An overmoistened soil, a shady zone of a garden can provoke the appearance of downy powdery mildew (gray deposit on the leaves). For processing prepare a fungicidal solution of the preparations Fitosporin, Alirin-B, Hamair.
From the annular blot virus will help the elimination of the diseased plant, processing the flower beds with nematocides. The carriers of the virus are soil nematodes. Yellow, twisted foliage - signs of destruction of the soil by nematodes, and plants - ring spot.
Among insect pests most often you can find caterpillars eating foliage and young shoots. Warming up the soil, timely weeding, a break in watering will save them. Less common are scoops, peppered moths, and long-faced moths, from which the treatment with isecticides will help.
Types and varieties of Veronica with a description and photo
The prevalence around the globe allowed us to adapt to any natural and climatic conditions. Some species are named after the place of growth, and variety names more closely resemble the description of external signs. The remoteness of the places of domestication of Veronica gives an explanation of such significant species differences. There are low and tall plants, with a long erect stem or short up to 30 cm, shrub with a strong stem or grassy filiform stems.
Veronica Armenian Veronica armena
Veronica Armenian Veronica armena photo
Its blue flowers are more like forget-me-nots, the same opened five-leaf inflorescences. The mountain slopes and a sharp change in the temperature regime left their mark on the appearance of Veronica. The plant is short, creeping, green mass fills the entire space of the flower bed. Needle leaves create an image of a fluffy carpet, where blue flowers shine from above with a bright pattern.
Armenian Veronica grows up to 10 cm. This size allows you to resist the wind, a small area of the sheet plate does not allow moisture to evaporate quickly, protects the fading in the sun. A large variety of varieties allows you to choose the color range.
Veronica Caucasian Veronica caucasica
Veronica Caucasian Veronica caucasica photo
The leaves and stem are deep green; the lower part of the plant is darker than the upper. The leaves are small, elongated with notched edges. They are located in the axils in several pieces, dispersed evenly along the stalk. Flowers have a pastel color, mostly lilac or lilac in color with thin purple streaks. Stony ground is well suited for cultivation, so the flower can be used in the design of alpine slides.
Caucasian Veronica in landscape design photo
Small size resistant to windy weather. Creeping strong stalk recovers quickly after crushing, resistant to trampling. Does not tolerate chernozem soil, this is taken into account when preparing the flower bed.
Veronica large or broadleaf Veronica teucrium
Veronica large wide variety Royal Blue blue Veronica teucrium Royal Blue
Plant up to 70 cm tall with erect stem, covered with fine hairs. In the wild, it is found in the fields of Siberia, the Middle Urals, Western Europe, and the Mediterranean. Loves fertile soil, resistant to weather instability.
The root system is strong, creeping, withstands winter low temperatures. Leaves of a bilateral type: from above smooth, from below are covered with hairs, as on a stalk. Flowers are gathered in a panicle, placed on top of the stem. The color scheme is presented in blue, pink, purple hues.
The most famous varieties:
- "Tru Blue" up to 60 cm in height with a flowering period of 30 days,
- "Shirley Blue" under favorable conditions reaches 50 cm, blooms in May to mid-June, then used as a green background for annuals.
Veronica Gorey Veronica gentianoides
Veronica ginghy white variety Veronica gentianoides ‘Tissington White’ photo
Low-growing plant with a long flowering period. It begins to bloom in early summer, and ends flowering by the end of summer, under favorable conditions, continues to bloom until mid-September. Flowers white, lined with blue stripes. From a distance, it acquires a bluish tinge; on closer examination, distinct blue veins are visible. The main leaf mass is located at the base of the bush, small leaves are arranged in pairs along the stem. The color is silver-green, on the edge of the sheet is framed by a bright border.
The flower does not tolerate wet soil, often planted in a flower bed in a single version, without a companion. Looks winning on a sandy or pebble basis.
Veronica woody Veronica surculosa
Veronica woody variety Veronica surculosa ‘Waterperry Blue’ photo
A plant with a strong, creeping stalk that lumbers after winter. He likes well-drained soils, is not afraid of low temperatures, but in a harsh climate it is better to shelter from freezing.
Perennial, whose flowers bloom in early July and delight with its beauty until mid-September. The color of the petals from rich pink to purple, there are varieties with bright and pastel colors.
Veronica Crimean Veronica taurica
Veronica Crimean Veronica taurica photo
Its bright blue flowers on a dark green background are visible from afar. Therefore, it is planted in a rocky background. Many gardeners prefer to plant the Crimean Veronica on the edge of the flower bed, draw up curbs and paths. It prefers a mild climate without temperature fluctuations, so in regions with a changeable climate it is better to grow as an annual.
Veronica filamentous Veronica filiformis
Veronica filamentous Veronica filiformis photo
It belongs to the spring primroses, which blooms in late April and blooms before the onset of heat, until about mid-May. It is better to grow with a companion, when the foliage will act as a backdrop for bright shades of annuals. It is perfectly combined with asters, annual dahlias, gerberas, better than stunted varieties.
During the flowering period, the soft green carpet is covered with light blue flowers, some of which can bloom before the end of spring. It is advisable to remove faded buds to keep a neat appearance.
Veronica Veronica longifolia
Veronica Veronica longifolia photo
The species is characterized by tall bushes, up to 1.5 m, with a thin long stem, branching out from above into several flower-bearing panicles. The inflorescences themselves are high, flowering begins from below, reaching to the top by September. Shades range from mauve to bluish and blue. More suitable for growing with wildflowers, on large plantations, decorating wild lawns.
Veronica officinalis Veronica officinalis
Veronica officinalis Veronica officinalis photo
A common perennial in the regions of central Russia and eastern Asia. It is noticeable due to its gentle lilac or blue flowers and gently green leaves, gathered in bunches.
Veronica officinalis and dlinnolistnaya possess not only decorative value, but also medicinal properties. They are used as an anti-inflammatory, hemostatic, choleretic agent. Prepare broths and one-component drinks and as part of fees.
Veronica ordinary increases blood circulation, restores cognitive functions: improves memory, concentrates attention.
Veronica Hybrid - Luxury Garden Decoration
Veronica Hybrid Atomic Mix Veronica photo
Veronika spikelet (or spike) is widespread among Russian gardeners, so it has received a lot of names among the people: field lambs, sage field, snake grass, Andreeva grass, ganusok, cupola, bridges, blue light. The plant is a perennial. Depending on the variety, Veronica can grow from 15 to 60 cm. The stem of the plant is strong, straight and unbranched. He is thickly dotted with flowers. At the same time, Veronica's roots are thin and grow horizontally. The size of the leaves depends on their location on the stem, length from 1.5 to 8.5 cm, and width from 0.3 to 3 cm. The edges of the leaves are notched toothed.
Flowering Veronica begins in the second half of June and lasts about 35 days. Plant blooms thick brush, which is narrowed to the top. Its length can be from 5 to 30 cm. Flowers of small size are kept on short, shaggy pedicels. The cup consists of four oblong lobes of different length. The most common are blue or bright blue flowers. But the corolla is purple, pink or white. After flowering, Veronica spikelet forms rounded boxes with glandular hairs. Smooth, flat-convex egg-shaped seeds ripen in them. Their length is 0.75 mm and width 0.5 mm.
Veronica seed growing
Семена вероники в открытый грунт высевают во второй половине осени, когда почва еще не слишком холодная и не наступили заморозки. Глубина заделки семян в бороздки или ямки – небольшая, около 5 мм. Примерный интервал между семенами составляет 30 см. По мере роста, на следующий год, сеянцы рассаживают, оставляя уже больший интервал (50 см).
Можно посеять семена вероники и ранней весной в ящики, на рассаду. При этом, потребуется предварительная стратификация (закаливание) семенного материала. For this, the seeds are spread on a wet soil mixture (peat and soil), sprinkled with earth and covered with a film with holes. The container is placed in a cold place (refrigerator, cellar) for 3 weeks. After low temperatures, the seed container is placed in a warm and bright place. After 2 weeks, the first seedlings appear. Caring for seedlings normal: watering, light, airing and heat (about 15 º C).
In any case, seedlings bloom only in the second year of life.
Veronica landing in open ground
Veronika spiky is absolutely unpretentious plant, easily propagates and quickly grows on the site. The main condition for the successful cultivation of perennial - the right choice of place for planting and the implementation of certain agrotechnical requirements.
When choosing a site for planting, given the light-loving culture, choose an open and sunny terrain. Light penumbra is also possible.
Veronica can grow on almost any soil, preferably light and loose loam. One of the main conditions is good soil drainage and the absence of stagnant moisture in the area. Ordinary rubble can be used as drainage. A soil with a neutral or slightly acid reaction is the best option for a plant.
A drought-resistant plant, Veronica, tolerates a short-lived drought rather than excessive moisture. Excessive or permanent stagnant moisture can be detrimental to culture.
The hardy and viable plant is resistant to trampling. If you step on the bushes of Veronica, they quickly recover and lift the leaves.
Planting seedlings Veronica in the ground carried out in the spring in the previously prepared soil (fertilizer, drainage, loosening). Holes or grooves dig shallow, the size of the root system of seedlings. Planting Veronica seedlings in open ground, leave a distance between plants of about 50 cm, given the future growth and branching of the bushes. Planting site shed water and planted plants in the ground.
Veronica care in the open field
Unpretentious Veronica is convenient because it requires minimal care and attention, practically does not get sick and does not need additional feeding and winter shelter.
Watering carried out as needed, without stagnant moisture. It is especially important to moisten the soil before the flowering period and at the stage of seedling germination. The rest of the time watering is moderate, not frequent. Veronica perfectly tolerates short-term drought.
Mulching soil around the plant, will allow longer to maintain a moderate moist soil microclimate without additional irrigation. In addition, a layer of mulch impedes the growth of weeds on a flower bed.
With a sufficiently fertile soil, in additional dressingculture does not need. With poor soils, it is better to make mineral and organic fertilizers.
If the varieties of Veronica are spiky enough tall, you must tie up the plant to support.
Every 5 years you need rejuvenate the bush of Veronicaby dividing it into several parts. Delenki can actively develop and grow "with a new force."
For winter, it is not necessary to shelter a plant, it perfectly tolerates low temperatures, and even severe Russian winters.
Gardeners practice the propagation of Veronica by cuttings or by simply dividing a bush of a plant. With such breeding methods, all varietal characteristics are preserved.
Dividing bush - The most common method of reproduction, especially successful in the transplantation and rejuvenation of perennial, which is carried out every 5-6 years. If it is necessary to separate part of the plant, not waiting for several years, you can do it before. The division procedure is carried out in the spring (before the foliage appears) or in the fall (after flowering). To do this, first, cut off all above-ground shoots, then the plant is dug out and divided into parts. Each viable part must have at least three basal shoots. If the delenki are weak, it is better to pre-root them in the soil substrate, with the addition of peat and sand, and only then plant them in open ground. Digging a plant is not difficult, given the superficial occurrence of the roots. In addition, this method of reproduction provides a faster establishment and adaptation of the plant in a new place.
For breeding cuttings cut apical young shoots (10 cm long), cut off their tip and immerse them in water. The prepared cuttings for rooting are placed in a loose substrate of pearlite and peat with sand. After successful rooting, the cuttings are planted in open ground. Cuttings of Veronica can be from spring to early autumn. From the second half of autumn, it is no longer necessary to harvest cuttings, since they will not have time to take root by winter. In the summer, planted cuttings should be given more attention: shoots prune (you can cover them with a film), provide regular watering, ventilation and gradual adaptation to light.
Veronica care after flowering
After flowering, the above-ground part is cut to create new green shoots with foliage. Thus, you can keep an attractive decorative look of the bush until autumn. Before wintering, the bush is cut again, leaving 3-5 cm. To prevent plant contamination with pathogenic bacteria, you should also constantly cut off the flowering inflorescences.
Veronica diseases and pests
Veronica spike is resistant to diseases and pests. Only in rainy weather or excessive humidity, can it become contaminated with powdery mildew, spotting, or rust. If characteristic signs (spots, bloom) appear on the leaves, the whole plant is treated with a fungicidal agent (for example, Fundazole). If aphid appeared on the plant, the perennial should be treated with an insecticidal agent (Tanrek, Aktara).
Veronica types and varieties
There are many varieties of Veronica, which attract attention, for example, Veronika gray will amaze with a silvery shade of foliage, alpine - with an abundance of blue flowers, long-leaved - with charming grace. The dwarf variety of Veronika spiky will please with a bright blue color that will decorate any front garden.
Perennial flowers Veronica: features of cultivation in the open field
Veronica is an excellent ornamental plant that can be grown in open ground, both for the purpose of decorating a garden plot, and for medicinal purposes.
Although Veronica belongs to the plantain family, it doesn’t resemble the plantain: a gentle, orderly plant can become a worthy decorative element on any flowerbed.
Further, about the features of growing Veronica in the open field: planting, maintenance, the best varieties (photos and instructions are attached).
Veronika spiky, landing and care
Veronika spiky - universal plant, the cultivation of which requires a minimum of labor and special knowledge. Ideal for florists, beginners in their field.
A long period of flowering spectacular spike inflorescences, resistance to drought and low temperatures, unpretentiousness to the soil and the absence of disease - this is not the whole list of the advantages of perennial grass.
How to grow on your site Veronica spiky - read in this article. master class and photo gallery will help to better understand the topic.
Reproduction Veronica grosseous
It is possible to grow a perennial herbaceous plant, Veronica spiky, in your own area without difficulty, knowing the basic methods of its reproduction.
The plant propagates by seeds, cuttings and division of the bush. If familiar florist grows this spectacular perennial, it is easy to propagate in any convenient way and plant on your site. If this is not possible, you can buy seeds or seedlings of plants in specialized stores or nurseries.
Seed propagation method of Veronica spiky
- Veronica spiky gives a certain self-sowing, so it is better to collect the seeds in an organized way, excluding uncontrolled crops.
- In order not to miss the phase of seed ripening, it is necessary immediately after flowering to monitor the formation and ripening of fruit boxes.
- After the boxes have turned yellow and dried, they are torn off and dried a little in a dry, dark place.
- Dry boxes are threshed, seeds are cleaned and stored in a paper bag. Naturally, high-quality storage of seed material implies the absence of moisture and light.
- Plants grown from seeds do not bloom immediately, but at least in the second year after sowing.
- Propagation of Veronica spike from the seeds does not guarantee the preservation of varietal characteristics of the parent individuals.
Vegetative methods of breeding
Florists practice the propagation of Veronica with cuttings or simply dividing the bush of a plant. With such breeding methods, all varietal characteristics are preserved.
- The division of the bush is the most common method of reproduction, especially successful in the transplantation and rejuvenation of perennial, which is carried out every 5-6 years. If it is necessary to separate part of the plant, not waiting for several years, you can do it before. The division procedure is carried out in the spring (before the foliage appears) or in the fall (after flowering). To do this, first, cut off all above-ground shoots, then the plant is dug out and divided into parts. Each viable part must have at least three basal shoots. If the delenki are weak, it is better to pre-root them in the soil substrate, with the addition of peat and sand, and only then plant them in open ground. Digging a plant is not difficult, given the superficial occurrence of the roots. In addition, this method of reproduction provides a faster establishment and adaptation of the plant in a new place.
- For reproduction by cuttings, cut up apical young shoots (10 cm long), cut off the top of them and lower them into the water. The prepared cuttings for rooting are placed in a loose substrate of pearlite and peat with sand. After successful rooting, the cuttings are planted in open ground. Cuttings of Veronica can be from spring to early autumn. From the second half of autumn, it is no longer necessary to harvest cuttings, since they will not have time to take root by winter. In the summer, planted cuttings should be given more attention: shoots prune (you can cover them with a film), provide regular watering, ventilation and gradual adaptation to light.
Growing Veronica spiky
Veronika spiky is absolutely unpretentious plant, easily propagates and quickly grows on the site. The main condition for the successful cultivation of perennial - the right choice of place for planting and the implementation of certain agrotechnical requirements.
- When choosing a site for planting, given the light-loving culture, choose an open and sunny terrain. Light penumbra is also possible.
- Veronica can grow on almost any soil, preferably light and loose loam. One of the main conditions is good soil drainage and the absence of stagnant moisture in the area. Ordinary rubble can be used as drainage. A soil with a neutral or slightly acid reaction is the best option for a plant.
- A drought-resistant plant, Veronica, tolerates a short-lived drought rather than excessive moisture. Excessive or permanent stagnant moisture can be detrimental to culture.
- The hardy and viable plant is resistant to trampling. If you step on the bushes of Veronica, they quickly recover and lift the leaves.
Caring for Veronica spiky: features and recommendations
Not capricious Veronica is convenient because it requires minimal care and attention, practically does not get sick and does not need additional feeding and winter shelter.
- Watering is carried out as needed, without stagnant moisture. It is especially important to moisten the soil before the flowering period and at the stage of seedling germination. The rest of the time watering is moderate, not frequent. Veronica perfectly tolerates short-term drought.
- Mulching the soil around the plant will allow it to preserve a moderately moist soil microclimate without additional irrigation for longer. In addition, a layer of mulch impedes the growth of weeds on a flower bed.
- Veronica spike is resistant to diseases and pests. Only in rainy weather or excessive humidity, can it become contaminated with powdery mildew, spotting, or rust. If characteristic signs (spots, bloom) appear on the leaves, the whole plant is treated with a fungicidal agent (for example, Fundazole). If aphid appeared on the plant, the perennial should be treated with an insecticidal agent (Tanrek, Aktara).
- With a sufficiently fertile soil, the culture does not need additional feedings. With poor soils, it is better to make mineral and organic fertilizers.
- If the varieties of Veronica are spiky enough tall, it is necessary to tie the plant to a support.
- After flowering, the above-ground part is cut to create new green shoots with foliage. Thus, you can keep an attractive decorative look of the bush until autumn. Before wintering, the bush is cut again, leaving 3-5 cm. To prevent plant contamination with pathogenic bacteria, you should also constantly cut off the flowering inflorescences.
- Every 5 years you need to rejuvenate the bush of Veronica, dividing it into several parts. Delenki can actively develop and grow "with a new force."
- For the winter, the plant does not need to cover anything, it perfectly tolerates low temperatures, and even the harsh Russian winters.
Veronica (plant): description, varieties, cultivation, photo
Charming and delicate flowers of Veronica are able to decorate any flower bed or rabatku, ennoble the orchard. The numerous shades of its petals range from sky blue to deep blue.
Veronica is a plant, the cultivation of which does not require a lot of effort and time. Almost all garden forms are natural species, very resistant to cold and with good survival rates.
So why not try them on your site?
Rod Veronica: description
This genus is the most numerous (about 500 species) among the family Podorozhnikovye. It includes annual and perennial herbaceous plants, less often shrubs, which are common in all parts of the world, but mainly in temperate and cold regions of Eurasia. Representatives of the genus are widely distributed in our country.
Any Veronica is a plant (photo attached) with characteristic generic characteristics. The first one is small flowers with two stamens, which are collected in paniculate, spicate or umbellate inflorescences (sessile or on a long peduncle).
The second - thick rhizomes, shortened or branched, or a lot of thin roots. Among the numerous representatives there are excellent honey plants, medicinal plants, and also ornamental ones. It is the last we will pay more attention.
It should be noted that Veronica is a plant, although it does not possess outstanding external characteristics, but is beautiful in its simplicity. Small flowers can rise above the flowerbed collected in a slender spike or almost creep along with a soft “pillow”, braiding everything around. We invite you to learn about the main types of Veronica, introduced into the culture.
The low plant (7-10 cm) is bright green in color, forming dense and dense turf. Stems ascending or lying, lumbering at the base. Decorative leaves, including the length of 08-1.2 cm, pinnately dissected at the base into thin and twisted lobes. The corolla of the flower is pale blue or lilac with a rich aroma.
Bred pink variety. Armenian Veronica is a very drought-resistant, unpretentious plant, and therefore is popular with flower growers when making lawns, alpine slides, and terraces. Flowering begins in mid-summer. The view is very sensitive to the ground.
Only stony substrates with an alkaline medium and a small amount of river sand or fertilized clay are acceptable.
Perennial plant with tall erect stems from 30 to 70 cm, small leaves and stellate bright blue flowers, collected in the brush. Flowering is long, starting from May-June.
Drought-resistant, decorative, is widely used for registration of rock gardens, rockeries, in group and single landings. The natural area of growth - the steppe and forest-steppe, mountain meadows and stony hills.
Prefers well drained, sandy soil.
One of the most decorative species with a large number of bred varieties. Plant up to 40 cm in height with few single stalks. Especially beautiful apical racete dense inflorescences saturated blue, blue, purple, less white. The species has been introduced into culture since 1570.
Long flowering from mid-summer, gives a lot of seeds, well propagated by self-sowing. For its cultivation fit any garden soil. Spikelet Veronica is a winter-hardy, drought-resistant, light-and moisture-loving plant. Looks particularly good in single landings.
Examples of varieties: Romiley Purple (deep purple), Barcarolle (pink), Heidekind (raspberry pink), Rotfishs (cream), White Icicle (white, in the photo).
Veronica is small
Highly decorative look, exacting to growing conditions. It is subendemic and grows in nature only on volcanic soils.
Образует плотные подушки с темно-зелеными листьями, сплошь усыпанные мелкими голубыми цветами чистого оттенка и с тонким ароматом. В условиях сада возможно размножение только делением корневища.
Вероника мелкая требует питательной почвы, но при полном отсутствии органики нужны постоянное умеренное увлажнение и хорошее освещение (солнечные места).
Этот вид обладает сразу несколькими достоинствами – декоративностью и пользой. Растение многолетнее, с ползучими стеблями, которые укореняются в узлах. It grows quickly - up to 20 cm per season, so you can use as a ground cover species. The flowers are collected in small brushes, pale lilac shade. Flowering long from June to September.
Mainly used as a leafy ornamental plant. Resistant to trampling, drought, frost, shade-tolerant, competitive. A high degree of growth should be considered when choosing a landing site.
In folk medicine, Veronica officinalis is used mainly as an expectorant for bronchial asthma, bronchitis in the form of infusions, decoctions, tea.
Features of growing
Veronica is a plant (description above), but rather a whole genus with numerous representatives, with an unpretentious character. The exception is only some species. Care is absolutely simple. The plant is undemanding to the soil, the light factor, the neighborhood with other species. If you decide to grow it in their beds, then you should pay attention to a few highlights.
- When preparing the substrate for planting, pay attention to the variety that you plant, and depending on this, supplement it with necessary components, for example, for hair and gravel - rubble.
- The high degree of drought tolerance does not mean that there is no need to water. On the contrary, most species prefer moderate moisture.
- Cut faded inflorescences, so you save the decorative look of a bush longer and, probably, will achieve repeated flowering.
Veronica - unpretentious flowers. Types, care, breeding
Let's talk about Veronica. Such seemingly simple flowers, but at the same time very beautiful and lovely. I especially like them for their blue color - after all, not too many colors in our gardens have blue shades.
Blue flowers of Veronica Let's get acquainted closer with these flowers.
Why is the plant so named? The explanations are as follows: perhaps in honor of a saint named Veronika, and scientists assume that the name was derived from the Latin words “vera unica”, which means real medicine (Veronica has medicinal properties). Anyway, it is necessary to pronounce this word with an emphasis on the second syllable.
The genus Veronique is large (almost 300 species); it is part of the plantain family, its representatives are found in all parts of the world, but most of them are in Europe and Asia, many species grow in the Mediterranean.
There are also a lot of Veronica in our country - about 150 species, many of them grow in the Caucasus and in the European part of Russia, there are some species in Central Asia.
Basically, all Veronica are herbaceous plants, but there are also half shrubs. Often perennial, but there are also letniki. They look different: some are high and some are low and even creeping, the leaves are usually simple, they are often opposite, but there is also another arrangement.
Common in Veronique flower structure. They are usually medium-sized, the lower petals fuse and form a tube, the upper petals are not fused. Inside the flower are two stamens and a long pistil. Flowers are not single - they form inflorescences in the form of spikelets or a brush.
And of course the color: almost all Veronica differ in different shades of blue and blue, and only occasionally there are pink or white colors. When the plant blooms, fruits appear in the place of the flowers - seed-box.
Meet Veronica can be at the edge of the forest, among the meadow vegetation. Some species prefer mountainous reliefs. And now let's get acquainted with those types of Veronique, which are mainly grown for decorating the garden. View Spikelet Veronica (Veronica spicata) is quite common. In our country it grows in the European part, and in Siberia, Central Asia, in the Caucasus, also lives in Western Europe and the Mediterranean. The plant is low (up to 40 cm), a few shoots. The leaves are oval-oblong: the lower ones have scapes, and the upper ones are sessile. On the tops of the stems dense buds are formed in the form of tassels up to 10-12 cm long with bright flowers. The flowers may be blue and pink, purple or white. Flowering begins in June and lasts about 40 days.
This Veronica is beautiful in its original form. In the garden it will be beneficial to look as a single curtain or in a group with other perennials.
It prefers loose soil, likes a sunny open place, drought-resistant and winter-hardy.
How to plant this plant, which possesses not only decorative, but also medicinal properties, you can learn from the publication We plant veronic spike (spikelet) - vertical garden accent (video).
Many varieties are derived, differing mainly in the color of flowers:
- Icicle (White Icicle) - white flowers,
- Barcarolle - pink flowers,
- Blue Peter - blue flowers,
- Blue Carpet - bright blue flowers, short shrub,
- Red Fox - dark pink flowers,
- Romiley Purple - dark purple flowers,
- Heidekind - pink and crimson flowers.
Veronica filamentous (Veronica filiformis) hails from Europe. There it grows in mountain meadows, forming solid green carpets.
This evergreen creeping perennial. Very thin shoots quickly run up in different directions, roots appear on them, cling to the ground, take root - and grow — run further, in breadth, in all directions. Forms a beautiful green rug with small round leaves.
In the spring, this entire carpet is also covered with small pale blue flowers, which rise above the greenery and seem to hover in the air, - Veronica blooms. Unusual beauty! Especially well this species feels in the penumbra on poor soils.
However, sometimes there are problems with this Veronica: it happened that for me it just dropped out almost the whole, only individual bushes remained.
Knowing this feature of it, I planted several plots in different places where it does not bother me especially. It happens that in one place the plant constantly dies, and in the other it grows well.
Here and the speedwell creeping - will fall out in one place, will remain in another.
I like her very much, and therefore, despite such a little capricious temper, I keep it in my garden. It is also suitable for rockeries, as it is quite drought-resistant, although it is moisture-loving. You can create magnificent carpet arrays from it or plant it under berry or ornamental shrubs.
Widespread view - Veronica is big (Veronica teucrium). In our country, it is found in the European part and in Western Siberia, as well as in the Caucasus, Central Asia, and the Mediterranean. It has creeping rhizomes located superficially. From them grows many direct stems from 30 to 70 cm high. The oblong, serrated leaves at the edge sit oppositely. Bright blue flowers are in racemes. Blooms profusely in spring, at this time the whole bush looks very nice. But gradually the shoots begin to lie to the side of the center, the bush as it falls. Therefore, it is desirable at the very beginning of flowering to tie him up. After flowering, I usually prune shoots, and they then grow back.
Veronica is big
Veronica is very big unpretentious, but loves the sun. Hardy, soil undemanding. Varieties with different height of the bush are derived:
- True Blue - bushes up to 60 cm tall, with blue flowers,
- Schirly Blue - bushes up to 50 cm tall, dark blue flowers.
Also widespread Veronica is gray (Verónica incana): in the European part of Russia, in Siberia, in Western Europe, in the Far East, Japan and Korea. This species, 40 cm high, first has a spreading shape, and after flowering it turns into a compact pillow that is adorned with wide white-felt leaves.
Veronica is gray. Photo site picsbase.ru It blooms from the end of July for 35 days with very bright blue buds. The plant is unpretentious, winters without shelter, suitable for rocky gardens. Veronica Gorechkovaya (Veronica gentianoides) is widespread in the south of the European part of Russia, in the Crimea, in the Caucasus and in Asia Minor. Accordingly, this is a more thermophilic look. The plant is considered to be a group of pillow plants: it forms cushion-shaped rounded bushes not more than 45 cm tall. Leaves forming a rosette, leathery lanceolate. Pale blue flowers fill loose spike inflorescences on peduncles up to 30-70 cm tall. Glorious veronica blooms from late May for two to three weeks.
This Veronica is so beautiful, but it also has varieties. Nana is a dwarf variety. The height of the cushion is no more than 10 cm, the peduncle is 20-30 cm. This variety also has a variegata form with white-leafed leaves, and the rim has a pink color in the spring.
Mountain resident of the Black Sea - veronica peduncle (Veronica peduncularis). It rises from the warm seaside valleys to the mountains, where it grows on rocky scree. A semi-perennial perennial plant, forms a low ferny. It blossoms with bright blue-and-white flowers with a whitish eye.
Used in gardening rockeries and rock gardens, has a cultivar Georgia Blue. This variety of flowers are very fragrant, the plant itself is drought-resistant and unpretentious in culture.
Veronica Armenian (Veronica armena) came to us from Asia Minor. It is also an alpine plant, has short stems - thin and woody, pubescent, very numerous. This Veronica forms a dense derninka with dissected beautiful leaves, which also makes it decorative. It blooms with pale blue or lilac flowers from the end of June. A fragrant plant, drought-resistant and very unpretentious. Substrate prefers stony, with the addition of clay. In rockeries and alpine hills it belongs.
Flower Veronica Armenian
This is just a small overview of some of the most popular types of Veronique used in gardening.
Depending on the habitat in the natural environment, veronica requires certain conditions when grown in the garden. For Veronique koloskovaya, large, filiform, the most common garden land with a small addition (if possible) of rubble or sand will do. The place can be chosen as sunny, open, and partial shade.
Veronica is very unpretentious, does not require any special care, they do not cover them for the winter. After flowering, they are usually cut, after which the green mass grows rapidly again. Most species are drought-resistant, so they do not even need watering.
Veronica can be propagated vegetatively and seeds. The easiest way - the division of the bush. Large bush dig and cut into delenki having buds. The best time to divide is spring, when the plants have only grown.
Array of veronica
You can propagate and cuttings, which take the tops of young shoots. The cuttings are rooted in the shade in loose, moist soil.
It is better to sow seeds before winter, and bloom occurs in the second year. Talking about different Veronica, I have already said that some species are suitable for rock gardens, rockeries and retaining walls. Others are beautiful ground covers that form solid green carpets or thick turf pads. Veronica look good and on the shore of the reservoir, adorned with stones. In mixborders next to other perennials, Veronica is a spiky and large one that will be excellent vertical accents.
Veronica-pads In my garden now four types of Veronique grow. The very first (I do not even remember when or where it came from) Veronica is big. The plant is well, very unpretentious: it has never been such that it froze, fell, or something unforeseen happened. It grows with a neat curtain, it grows a little, in May it blooms amicably and abundantly in bright blue color in spike-shaped inflorescences. When it grows strongly, I divide the curtain, sit on it, and just send the excess to compost. And for many years this flower makes me happy.
The second appeared in my garden veronica filamentous. Well, I really love ground cover plants, and this Veronica is one of those, it is also called creeping, because it literally spreads out, spreads along the ground.
Another view - Spikelet Veronica - just recently appeared on my site. And this summer I suddenly found a bush on the path near the garden. Veronica Dubravnoy - this grows in our forest. Fingering a carrot with a carrot and suddenly I see: bright blue eyes are looking at me with a light border around the edges.
That is what her flowers look like. I don’t know how she came to me, but, of course, I left her: let her grow, then maybe I will plant her somewhere under the bushes of sea buckthorn or apple trees. You can read more about Veronica Dubravna in more detail in the publication of our site. Forest and field plants in the garden: Veronica Dubravnaya.
Plant Veronica in your garden - any of them will be a wonderful decoration of your site.
Veronika spiky: cultivation and care
Veronica spiky pretty easy to grow in their summer cottage. You can buy ready seedlings, you can ask for cuttings from neighbors or friends, and you can sow the seeds of this perennial plant. In early autumn, you can begin to sow. The soil should be loose and not very cold. The embedding depth is small, about 5 mm.
.gif "/> .gif "/>